NetApp SnapCreator Integration with jBASE

Benjamin Compton

May 6, 2020, 2:42:30 PM5/6/20
to jBASE

I am a solution architect working on the global infrastructure at large client.  I am trying to make sure everything is tuned properly, etc… That said, I am actually looking to inject some new innovation into their jBASE stack using a product called NetApp SnapCreator which can interface with about anything.  I spent roughly 5 years at NetApp before starting a new journey here.  We used this product at another customer to successfully eliminate IBM FlashCopy and provide a true devops environment.  (That environment was SAP based on IBM AIX and DB2)  What it does is simply call the application backup process to the point where it quiesces everything and then takes a storage snapshot… Then the process kicks off an application consistent replica to another site or location.

From there we can mount up a storage snap derived readable copy in a “bubble” and have everything clean and application consistent… At this point we can deploy several dev copies from the result OR in this case we would be enabling backups to be taken as little as every 15 minutes without any performance issues.  Also, we would then use the traditional golden method of taking the jBASE backups (streaming) to an alternate device.  However, at this point the backup would be occurring on the DR array and NOT the production array thus eliminating all backup windows.

This could be a reusable community plugin that could work both in a private datacenter and even in the public cloud.  Currently this customer is running on an older version of everything (to my knowledge) and it sits on Red Hat 5.2… I would love some insight from someone who is more familiar with the jBASE product than me.  I'm sure this will be easy, repeatable and shareable once completed.

Thanks,

Ben Compton

Dick Thiot

May 6, 2020, 3:16:52 PM5/6/20
to jb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ben and welcome.  It is nice to have someone leveraging modern tools against jBASE.  My first question to you is if the customer is under maintenance with Zumasys.  If yes, then you can get access to the premier experts on jBASE directly through their support.

Dick

IMPORTANT: T24/Globus posts are no longer accepted on this forum.

To post, send email to jB...@googlegroups.com