Need Help Understanding jBASE Field Length

Joyce White

Jan 27, 2021, 9:27:25 AM1/27/21
to jBASE
I have a customer asking me about a jBASE field length. My dictionary looks like below, so I thought the length was 35. But I can go into records and type values with lengths much longer than 35 into field 1. In fact, there doesn't seem to BE a limit. What gives?
Thanks,
Joyce

READ ONLY File RM]D , Record '1'

Command->

0001 A

0002 01

0003 DESC

0004

0005

0006

0007 T1,35

0008

0009 L

0010 35

Mvreply

Jan 27, 2021, 9:36:55 AM1/27/21
to jb...@googlegroups.com

Joyce,

Multi-value fundamentals …

There is no relationship between the dictionary and the data in terms of actual field length.

The length set in the dictionary was determined by the original implementor based on suitability for display/print purposes.

You will often find that there are several synonym items for the same field with different lengths depending on the requirements for a certain report.

Mike

IMPORTANT: T24/Globus posts are no longer accepted on this forum.

To post, send email to jB...@googlegroups.com

Joyce White

Jan 27, 2021, 9:48:54 AM1/27/21
to jBASE
Ah, thank you! That helps a lot!

Joyce White

Jan 27, 2021, 9:59:07 AM1/27/21
to jBASE
Follow-up - still trying to understand the value of even having a dictionary length. Let's say I create a report and make a synonym for a field.  My synonym is named "ReportDescrip" and has a length specified in the dictionary as 20. So if I call the synonym from my report, will it then limit the value it returns to the specified dictionary length?
Joyce

Mvreply

Jan 27, 2021, 10:17:51 AM1/27/21
to jb...@googlegroups.com

Joyce,

Yes, but you can set a “T” in attribute 9 for the report to wrap at that length such that any further text will display on the next line, breaking at the nearest space, if one exists.

As previously stated, if you or your customer is paying for jBASE Support, then the best place to obtain information is to email sup...@zumasys.com.

Zumasys/jBASE also offers training courses in jBASE Fundamentals.

Alternatively, if you are working on Globus/T24, then there are also Temenos specific forums.

Dan Ell

Jan 27, 2021, 10:19:15 AM1/27/21
to jb...@googlegroups.com, Dan Ell

There are actually 3 fields pertaining to length in your dictionary example

0001 A
0002 01
0003 DESC
0004
0005
0006

0007 T1,35                                          <-- this is a conversion which tells the report to limit the length to 35 characters or more precisely to show characters 1 through 35
0008
0009 L                                                   <-- this justification says to left justify the field.  This could be R for right or T for Text which is like L for left except it word wraps at word rather than just length
0010 35                                                <-- this is the length associated with where it wraps.  NOT how much shows, that is determined in this DICT by field 7

So, for example if you wanted it to wrap at 20 characters here would be field 7, 9 and 10

0007
0009 L
0010 20

If you wanted it to word wrap at 20 they would be

0007
0009 T
0010 20

And if you wanted it to only show the first 20

0007 T1,20
0009 L
0010 20

Dan Ell | jBASE Technical Engineer
jBASE International, Inc.
813-498-2544 | 866‑582‑8447
da...@jbase.com | www.jbase.com
1050 Calle Amanecer, Suite A | San Clemente, CA 92673

Jan 30, 2021, 1:22:11 PM1/30/21
to jBASE
As stated Pick dictionaries are purely for producing formatted output.  Think of dictionaries much like Excel and all the features you have to format your cells.  You will often find multiple dictionaries pointing at the same data but having different formats (Dates in different formats, DD/MM  DD/MM/YY, etc).  Pick dictionaries can do much of what Excel formulas do.  You can add fields together, do if statements, lookups (excel calls them vlookups).  It is very powerful but internally the pick storage engine has no constraints as you would see in a SQL system.   Pick data itself is just a large 3-dimensional array of what is essentially VarChar's.    It is much closer in concept to Mongo/JSON than SQL.

I did a video at   MultiValue | Powerful NoSQL Database (pickmultivalue.com)  about the pick files system where I describe the basics of the Multi-Value structure and try to relate them to structures outside of Pick.