J92s Rudder Post

Dan Sullivan

Apr 23, 2024, 2:59:23 PMApr 23
to J/92 Owners
Looking for some advice on pulling my rudder out to inspect/repair.
I hauled my boat for a quick bottom check and saw that the rudder is getting more movement side to side. It appears the bushings or the rudder post are wearing.
I would like to correct this condition before it gets worse. I plan to pull the rudder when I haul out in 2 weeks from now.
My question, has anyone done this on their J92s and can offer some advice?. Or if there is a schematic of the post/bearing setup?
The attached photo of the connection from the inside of the boat does not reveal much.
Dan Sullivan Little Joe J92s  #31
 J92s Rudder Post.jpg

Sting

Apr 25, 2024, 9:48:47 PMApr 25
to J/92 Owners
We had to replace the bottom housing and bearing in #55.  We had quite a bit of corrosion in the aluminum housing that was squeezing/seizing the Delrin ball ring and causing it to bind up.   It was a difficult removal as the original housing was glued in with something like 5200.   The yard supported the area under the housing with jack stands as the housing was cut out from below and punched out with some serious impact!

Went with a Jefa Rudder Systems bearing system for the bottom replacement - the top bearing was in great shape and was left in place.   We also upgraded the bellows system as well. Steering has been perfect since then.

Philipp

Apr 26, 2024, 12:52:29 AMApr 26
to J/92 Owners
hi dan.
It’s really easy. just remove the tiller and the tiller head fitting (above deck) and have someone down below the hold the rudder, so it doesn’t fall. :-) make sure you have enough space under the boat, but it shouldn’t be a problem on a normal road trailer.

we replaced our rudder bearing last winter with new bearings from this french shop and had no problems there.

also check out this thread

there is also drawing in the J/92s manual annexes.

all the best.
cheers Phil.

 <J92s Rudder Post.jpg>

<J92s Rudder Post.jpg>

Philipp

Apr 26, 2024, 12:52:35 AMApr 26
to J/92 Owners
A few more tips and pics

- removing the pin of the tiller head fitting was a bit of a pain in the butt for us. in the end we gave it a few good hits with a hammer

- we had two people down below to hold the rudder

- to remove the bearing you have to turn it by 90 degrees horizontally. its quite snug so you have fiddle around a bit.

- we are very happy since. no play at at all in the rudder.

good luck!
Phil (hull #68)

image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Am 23.04.2024 um 22:53 schrieb Philipp <phgl...@gmail.com>:

hi dan.

Dan Sullivan

Apr 29, 2024, 5:09:55 PMApr 29
to J/92 Owners

I want to thank everyone (Patrick, Phil and Mark) that responded to my request for information on pulling my rudder and replacing bushings. From your information, I have a very good idea of the assembly and how to make the repair.
Much appreciated.
Dan

JD Vincent

Apr 29, 2024, 5:54:16 PMApr 29
to J/92 Owners
Hi Phil,

Can you tell me where you sourced the rubber “bellows” on your rudder post in the picture?  I need to replace min on hull # 66.

IMG_0016.jpeg

EC Helme

JD Vincent

Apr 30, 2024, 1:24:49 AMApr 30
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Great info, thanks Phil.

On my 2007 92S (hull # 66), I have no issues with the rudder bearings, but the rubber bellows below deck (between deck and the hull) that covers the rudder post has aged and cracked.  Phil, the pic of yours shows this bellows looks like new.  Did you replace it, and if so, where did you source it?

Philipp

Apr 30, 2024, 2:08:42 AMApr 30
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
The photo of the post below deck is not my picture. It’s a screenshot from the j92s manual annexes. :-)

J92s Owners Manual Annexes.pdf

Sting

May 1, 2024, 5:10:18 PMMay 1
to J/92 Owners
We replaced the bellows with the one-piece gaiter made by Jefa: https://jefa.dk/products/sealing-systems/

The one-piece requires dropping the rudder to install, they have another that has a seam that can be glued together, but we had the rudder out already so it was easy to install.   Zero torsion resistance,  that I can tell, when steering.

Marcus Anthony Seth

May 2, 2024, 6:50:50 PMMay 2
to J/92 Owners
MT103/202 DIRECT WIRE TRANSFER
PAYPAL TRANSFER
CASHAPP TRANSFER
ZELLE TRANSFER
LOAN DEAL
TRANSFER WISE
WESTERN UNION TRANSFER
BITCOIN FLASHING
BANK ACCOUNT LOADING/FLASHING
IBAN TO IBAN TRANSFER
MONEYGRAM TRANSFER
IPIP/DTC
SLBC PROVIDER
CREDIT CARD TOP UP
DUMPS/ PINS
SEPA TRANSFER
WIRE TRANSFER
BITCOIN TOP UP
GLOBALPAY INC US
SKRILL USA
UNIONPAY RECEIVER

Thanks.

NOTE; ONLY SERIOUS / RELIABLE RECEIVERS CAN CONTACT.

DM ME ON WHATSAPP
+1(786) 588-4571

JD Vincent

May 7, 2024, 12:52:52 AMMay 7
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Sting, thanks for that information.  I read the Jefa description under "tube and gaiter" and noted this:

"The system consists of an aluminium tube, which is bonded to the lower bearing and to which is clamped, via a stainless steel jubilee clip, a neoprene gaiter. The top end of the neoprene gaiter is clamped to the rudder shaft by a second jubilee clip. The gaiter is made to allow up to 90º of rudder travel (± 45º), without causing inelastic extension to the gaiter."

My boat (2007 92S, hull # 66) has the rubber bellows that looks like the one in the picture posted by Phil from the J boats owners manual.  At the top, it is secured to the rudder post with a hose clamp but at the bottom it has come loose (or torn, not sure) and the hose clamp is lying loose at the bottom of the post.

Here is what I think happened to mine:  For winter layup, I remove the tiller from the boat and store it inside.  I started doing this a few years ago when I noticed the aft end of the tiller was beginning to delaminate (I repaired it with glue and it is fine now).  When the tiller is removed from the boat, the rudder has a tendency to rotate on its own 80 degrees from its normal position.  I think this extreme rotation has torn the bellows at the base, because the system is designed to accommodate only so much rotation (+ or - 45) , not 180 degrees.