Looking for a J/92s for sale in Europe (close to Sweden)

christian isberg

Jun 21, 2022, 3:12:04 PM6/21/22
to J/92 Owners
Hey,

im in search for a J/92s in Europe.

Please let me know if you are planning to sell.

Very best
Christian

Becky Walford

Jun 21, 2022, 3:16:43 PM6/21/22
to J/92 Owners
hi. a month or so ago captain Scarlett based at Sussex yacht club was yo be put up for sale...... on UK south coast.... can't see it listed anywhere.
regards
bec

John Attewell

Jun 21, 2022, 4:43:01 PM6/21/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,
I’m getting ready to put Jazz up for sale, she is not an ‘S’ but insanely high spec.
Kind regards
John
image0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

On 21 Jun 2022, at 20:11, christian isberg <chis...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey,

christian isberg

Jun 21, 2022, 5:02:10 PM6/21/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi John and Becky!

Thanks for the reply and the input. Unfortunately there’s a bit of VAT and tax obstacle when buying from the UK and bringing it to EU 😬.

Best

21 juni 2022 kl. 22:43 skrev 'John Attewell' via J/92 Owners <j92o...@googlegroups.com>:

Hi Christian,
I’m getting ready to put Jazz up for sale, she is not an ‘S’ but insanely high spec.
Kind regards
John
<image0.jpeg>

Sent from my iPhone

On 21 Jun 2022, at 20:11, christian isberg <chis...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey,

im in search for a J/92s in Europe.

Please let me know if you are planning to sell.

Very best
Christian

Garry Mitchell

Sep 11, 2022, 6:45:49 AM9/11/22
to J/92 Owners

Hi John,
Did you put Jazz up for sale? I’m UK based (Brighton) & thinking of buying a J92.
Kind Regards,
Garry.

John Attewell

Sep 11, 2022, 7:42:46 AM9/11/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Garry,

I still have her as the buyer wanted her before regatta week, and I didn’t want to let my team down.
I’m in two minds, but I guess there’s no such thing as not for sale.
She’s still in the water and racing every weekend.
Follow her on j92jazz on instagram if you want to see more of her, or your welcome to just come and have a look around her.
Alternatively if jazz is not the boat for you, please feel free to ask any advice, or assistance in j92’s,
She’s one of the very best out there, but only because I was lucky enough to the time and resources to make her so.

All the very best
John

Sent from my iPhone

Garry Mitchell

Sep 11, 2022, 12:18:00 PM9/11/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Thanks so much for the reply, had a look (as suggested) on instagram, it certainly looks nice but maybe a little over race spec’d for my purposes? Perhaps if I explain what I’m looking for & ask a few questions you will know if it’s likely to be the right boat for me?

My son has taken a bit to Dinghy sailing over this summer & I wanted to continue his skills over the winter by searching for a cruiser/racer yacht that could be sailed shorthanded & raced (local round the cans racing) almost double handed. It would also need an inboard & an ability to weekend on it (sea toilet & ideally 3 berths). A few yacht models seem to tick the boxes & in terms of JBoats probably the sweet spot is the J88, unfortunately the prices not so! I was seriously considering a J105 (nearly recently made an offer) but it’s just getting a bit too big and a bit too distant an experience from the dinghy sailing my son does. So the J92 seems to be the best compromise between price & my required spec. The ones I’ve seen seem to range in price from £25,000ish - £40,000 & of course there is a huge range in specs between those prices. Boats that need a little attention, boats that have been tweaked for comfort and boats with carbon rigging & masts. I’m looking for something in the middle, I think.

So Jazz does look nice but I suspect she comes at a price for some of the racing modifications you’ve made & the fact that your 50/50 on selling her? I do like the fact that she's in the water and obviously ready to sail. I suppose before asking any more questions with regards to her, I should ask if you’ve had any thoughts on what price you would like to sell her for? I notice your awesome cabin modifications to strip out weight including what looks like a carbon fibre toilet seat :-) Could I ask a couple more minor questions with regards to those modification? Is the toilet still a ’sea toilet’ with through hull fixings? The fore cabin, would it be easy to install a temporary berth for when it’s used for cruising? Sounds a silly question but I presume also you haven’t removed the inboard ‽

Many thanks John for your kind consideration.

Kind Regards,
Garry.

Garry Mitchell
BRIGHTON
UK

Tom Smith

Sep 11, 2022, 12:34:25 PM9/11/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Garry

An interesting question and one I battled with some years ago, even if my requirements were somewhat different

I know it is heresy on here but I ended up buying a Hunter 707 for only about £5k and then spent what I'd saved on

Fully battened main
Furling jib
Top down furling asymmetric kite
Outboard on a bracket (not in the well)
ALL lines led to the cockpit
Etc

So I can sail it on my own mostly - although we still race with upto 5 on board

I have had enormous fun - and fun per £ has been great!   I used to part own a 92 so can at least compare the two.

Happy to share pics and thoughts

Tom

Sep 11, 2022, 12:39:32 PM9/11/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com

Oh I meant to say

I had to make compromises from your spec

So when not racing:-

Portaloo
Outboard not inboard (which initially I thought I would never do – but much easier to maintain)

Yes you could sleep – I have.  Not luxurious but OK!

Bottled water

Trangia stove

Lazy jacks (to go with the fully battened main)

It’s pretty competitive – but we are probably more to blame for poor performance than the boat is!

If I were in your position I’d still go the way I did – and if it is a huge success for your family then look to trade up at a later date.  If the family hate it – well you probably haven’t lost much

Tom

Hi John,

Mark Camilleri

Sep 11, 2022, 1:09:50 PM9/11/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com

Tom you are right, it is a heresy to discuss buying a hunter 707 instead of a J92 on this group.

May I Kindly ask you to take the discussion in private? 😊 Thank you.

This group is for J92 lovers and sailors . Also however , if you sail under IRC I would be very surprised if it did well against other J92’s

Regards

Mark Camilleri

PEP J92 #72

Malta

Sent from Mail for Windows

John Attewell

Sep 11, 2022, 1:09:52 PM9/11/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Your bang on with the 92 being a better option for you both for shorthanded, 105, as you say, the running costs go up massively with each size increase. The 88s are still expensive and the j80 won’t offer what your looking for. 92s are quite straightforward to set up for shorthanded crewing… but the modifications won’t come cheap. ( we’ve done this to Jazz and cost me but was worth it.)
Great little diesel inboards on the 92. Very stable boat with nearly 50% of total weight in the keel.
A lot out there havnt been configured very well, and have ageing deck gear. Sail condition is pretty much king.
Famous for soft cockpit floors and side decks, but easy to fix with time and money. But over all very solid fast boats.
Simple fact about a J92, pay £35k and you will get a very good one, pay £15k, and it will eat £20k in 2 or 3 years.
A lot out there are tired and over priced.
I’m lucky as a marine company tows her on her trailer to my house every winter, hence why she’s in such good condition and well optimised.

Jazz would be super simple to return to a more social boat. I even have her bunk cushions. Yes full sea toilet will all new thru hulls and stop cocks.
Even has new water tanks( unused) engine serviced every year. She never goes with out and pretty much gets the best of everything haha.
A furler would make her more short hand friendly as we changed to harken carbo foil.
Highly recommend the Eva deck foam for cockpits and upgraded foot chocks, never skimp on quality. Jazz also fully reefs from cockpit which is rare. My better half works full time for the RNLI so she would kill me if Jazz wasn’t super safe. I agreed a price of £35k earlier this summer with the buyer, he loved her, but as said was pushy to take her instantly which I couldn’t make work. I’m not advertising her at the moment but anything is possible. I’m not trying to haggle her price up wards by saying I don’t mind if I sell her,she just such an amazing boat that needs £0 spent on her, (and my crew are a bit scared of me buying a cape31)
Little note, don’t buy one will old style overlapping genoa and external shroud tracks… trust me these are no fun and you will change it after the first season. Not cheap.

John

Sent from my iPhone

Garry Mitchell

Sep 11, 2022, 3:48:46 PM9/11/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions and pass on your tips, great one regarding the external shroud tracks, thanks. Your answers haven’t dampened my interest & I have some more questions I’d like to ask that might lead me to making a potential offer subject to a survey. Perhaps you could ponder some more if you are interested in selling & if so what that timeframe looks like for you, so I don’t waste your time with annoying questions :-) I’m also conscious of not wanting to take up too much of the forum's bandwidth or have others here getting unnecessary notifications. Might it be more appropriate to make contact via email. I can be reached at : mail4...@gmail.com .

Kind Regards,
Garry.

Mark Wessel

Sep 11, 2022, 5:52:15 PM9/11/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

But you’re slumming with a pice of crap Hunter 707 with new sails at the end of the day.

Not sure why your telling all of us?

Sent from my iPhone

Mark Camilleri

Sep 12, 2022, 1:47:18 AM9/12/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Good morning

Prior to Brexit  , the boat had the EU vat paid.  There might be an agreement for not paying VAT again to get the boat back into the EU . I would check with the Transport authority

Regards
Mark Camilleri
99404089

Tom Smith

Sep 12, 2022, 2:06:42 AM9/12/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com

Oh very grown up!

I was just giving an answer to a question that I had battled with too.  Some of us are mature enough to have an intelligent conversation – one day you might be

I shan’t bother again

Tom

Hi John,