Help with upwind 18 - 20 knots

dnewl...@msn.com

Jun 27, 2024, 5:15:28 PMJun 27
to J/92 Owners
Most of my racing is either lake sailing in 6-12 or California coastal downwind in 4-20 knots.  I'm comfortable with how the boat performs, but I got my ass handed to me in Long Beach last weekend and the biggest issue was upwind in higher wind speeds, espcially outside the breakwater.  Man was it a perfect weekend, though, so I'm not upset!

I think I'm good with depowering techniques on the main (backstay, vang-sheeting, outhaul/cunningham).  My question is on jib selection.

I spent the 1st 2 days with the 105 jib.  It runs on the older jib tracks that can only be adjusted when lazy.   We were not fast, but pretty much under control.

I also have a 135/145/155 that are on tracks that can be adjusted on the fly and I went with the 155 on day 3.  The boat was faster (15 knots of breeze) and the rest of the fleet didn't horizon us like the other days, but still major main dump to keep her on her feet, so to speak and at times I had the jib cars pulled way back.

So my question-Hindsight I probably should have used the 135 and took advantage of the jib car adjustabiliity to dump the top of the jib rather than the 105 which is more difficult to tune with the cars.

Any tips/insight?  Lastly, I also have an 85 jib but I've never used it.

Todd Aven

Jun 27, 2024, 6:59:37 PMJun 27
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
In 18-20, I’d be flying the 105. You really need adjustable leads, though.

If you have your rig set up right, you should be able to put on a lot of backstay to get the main really flat. Then sheet on the main and drop the traveler enough to get the bow down so the jib telltales are flying and the leech of the main is just drawing (telltales streaming). You’ll probably have a really big bubble in the luff of the main, but don’t worry about it. It’s all about the flow.

If you’re dealing with significant waves, you’ll also have to press down more to maintain speed. The 92 hates chop.

Cheers,
Todd