J/92s staircase - how is it fixed?

Charles CRONIN

Nov 15, 2023, 4:21:41 AM11/15/23
to J/92 Owners
Hi folks,

The staircase in my J/92s (considerably heftier than the type found on the J/92) keeps on falling over in fresh breezes and choppy seas.  There are two clips at the top, and by the looks of it there were some fittings at the bottom that have been removed.  I would be grateful for any photos of how your J/92s staircases are secured.  Alternatively, if this is a regular problem how it might be overcome.

Kind regards,

Charles.

Paolo Ciceroni

Nov 15, 2023, 10:50:40 AM11/15/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Escluse me for my orribile english but I'm writing from Italy. The stayr in my boat has 4 screws at the top and 4 screws at the bottom. I don't understand about WHAT stayr you are writing. My be the one for get up where you are in the water?
Paolo Ciceroni

Charles Cronin

Nov 15, 2023, 11:07:07 AM11/15/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com

Caro Paolo,

Molte grazie per il vostro messaggio, e scusa il mio Italiano.  La scala è quella all’interno.  La mia scala è fissa in alto con due clip.  Non c’è niente in fondo se non la gravità.  Non può essere fissato in modo permanente, perché è necessario avere al motore.

Hai delle foto di come è fissata la vostra scala?

Cordiali saluti,

Charles.

Paolo Ciceroni

Nov 15, 2023, 12:13:25 PM11/15/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Ho Charles,
I sold my J92 in April 2023. I have no pics of the stayr but I draft It. I think that my boat was manifactured at the beginning of the production. Or maibe that it is different because it was constructed in France. The stayr note needed the case of the engine.
Paolo

IMG20231115180703.jpg

JD Vincent

Nov 15, 2023, 10:39:54 PM11/15/23
to J/92 Owners

My 2007 J92S has a moulded fibreglass companionway  (stairs). It is secured at the top with clips and the bottom fits into two wooden blocks attached to the cockpit sole.

I wish I could post a pic but the boat is put away for winter covered with tarp.

Lars Rystadius

Nov 16, 2023, 2:48:01 AM11/16/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com

Hi Charles,

I assume you have the molded plastic staircase, just as I do on my S (French built). Unfortunately I cant check it out right now since my boat is in a hangar 5 hours drive away but as I recall it there are two square wooden pieces/cubes glued or screwed on the floor that will fit inside the bottom/front part of the moulded sides of the staircase. Check if there are traces on the floor. Hopefully someone else can provide photos.

Just like yours my boat has those clips on top and I never had the problem you’re describing.

Best /Lars

Charles CRONIN

Nov 16, 2023, 11:23:32 AM11/16/23
to J/92 Owners
Dear Lars, Davey, and Greco,

Many thanks for your replies, and many thanks for the sketch.  With your helpI have been able to identify that I am missing the two wooden cubes/pegs on the floor which stabilise the bottom of the staircase.  I will fabricate some replacements and by doing so should fix the problem.

Many thanks again for all your contributions.

Kind regards,

Charles.

Dan Sullivan

Nov 16, 2023, 12:02:49 PM11/16/23
to J/92 Owners
Charles,
I can confirm there are blocks screwed into the cabin sole. They fit into and under the feet of the stair and prevent the stair sliding sideways. Having these in place is important so there is no prying force at the top of the stair which would tend to work the top connection so much it might release.
Even with the blocks in place, I have had problems with the top connections in choppy weather. I have wanted to make a 'Pinned" connection at the top but have never gotten around to do it.
My solution for the top has been to reset or relatch the connection when going sailing. Sometimes I have to wiggle the stair sideways to ensure both latches are tight. Failing that, I also put some duct tape over the latch handle to keep it from working loose.
Dan

Philipp

Nov 18, 2023, 7:40:25 AM11/18/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Here are some pics for reference.
Last season we changed the fitting at the top. Bullet proof now.

Note that we have a different (shitty) set of floor boards for the winter to protect the good ones for the sailing season.

Cheers from Greifswald.
J/92s Baba Jaga (hull #68)
Philipp

image2.jpegimage3.jpegimage1.jpeg

Am 16.11.2023 um 18:02 schrieb Dan Sullivan <dan.su...@mindspring.com>:

Charles,

Charles CRONIN

Nov 18, 2023, 7:53:45 AM11/18/23
to J/92 Owners
Hi Phil,

Thank you for your photos, they are really useful.  The blocks/pegs on the floor board seemed to have become handle grips to the engine cover🤔.  I will look around for some scrapes of wood to re fabricate the floor pegs.  I also note how you secured the clips.

Thank you everyone for your contributions.  I really appreciate the help I have received from the group.

Kind regards,

Charles.

Becky Walford

Mar 14, 2024, 12:02:08 PMMar 14
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles

There should be two wooden blocks for the bottom of the steps to slot into…

Charles Cronin

Mar 15, 2024, 3:30:56 AMMar 15
to j92o...@googlegroups.com

Hi Becky,

Many thanks for your comment.  I found the wooden blocks, they had been relocated to become handles on the front engine hatch.  Its all sorted now.

Thanks,

Charles.

From: <j92o...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Becky Walford <brendasj...@gmail.com>
Reply to: "j92o...@googlegroups.com" <j92o...@googlegroups.com>