Code 0 . Dimensions..

Rob Ferguson J/92 Flying Fish

Dec 21, 2023, 10:02:09 AM12/21/23
to J/92 Owners
So I am ordering a code 0. Seems like a good deall at $2500.  It is a risk but it seems like it may be worth it. I will let every knw how it goes.
  • Baaltic/ Aramid-Carbon

My sailoft asked me to get these for my J/92 for a code 0. My boat is near Detroit and my mast is off and I am too scared I am going to mess it up. Would anyone have these dimensions already for a normal j/92.    Thanks heaps in advance.

Also is getting code zero woth it? All I have is an A2 and that is it.. Plus I am going to install a Symmetrcial just because I have to go shallow and straight going downwind to be competive in the Detorit River. My local PHRF agency although they are screwing me over with a rating of 102 they will allow me to put an symettrcial spin  on with no penalty.
Thanks again.
  • Distance from tip of bowsprit to the point where the halyard comes out of the mast
  • Height from the deck to where your halyard comes out of the mast
  • Distance from tip of bowsprit to the front of the mast
  • Distance from tip of bowsprit to the bow
  • position of the spinnaker sheet block in the back where you fly it from (e.g. distance from stern)
  • Do you have the ability/desire to put tweakers on to get tighter angles?
  • Width of the boat at the point where you have the spinnaker sheet blocks\

oldsa...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2023, 11:01:27 AM12/21/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com

Dimensions from IRC Certificate if they help.

J92 IRC.jpg

Onur Tok

Dec 21, 2023, 11:08:45 AM12/21/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Can I learn your  nonspi-TCC and TCC for your certificate.  I think original STL for J92 and j92s is too big for IRC  and this gives to much penalty.

Teşekkürler,
İyi Çalışmalar.

Todd Aven

Dec 21, 2023, 11:11:09 AM12/21/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

Keep in mind that the first measurement, from the tip of the bowsprit to the halyard exit on the mast, is critically dependent on your particular mast setup.  If you don't measure with the mast in its typical race position, you might get a code 0 with a luff too long to get reasonable luff tension.

Best regards,
Todd

oldsa...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2023, 11:23:50 AM12/21/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com

Spin TCC 0.959, non-spin 0.943, but that is with a no3 jib. Spins are cheap, headsails expensive with IRC rating.

John’s Contraptions

Dec 21, 2023, 11:28:57 AM12/21/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I thought Detroit joined MWPHRF.org?  So unless your boat has other mods it should be 111 base handicap.  As long as the zero meets MWPHRF guidelines there is no rating hit.

The zero will load the crap out of the bowsprit so add a line from the end of the pole to an added bow eye just above the waterline.

On mine there were U bolts at the rear of the deck that I added a block to for the sheet.  Then I added a fold down padeye about mid way between the middle lifeline stanchions.  When we are using the zero there is a block that attaches to the padeye and the tweaker runs through that.  Mount the pad eye closer to the front middle lifeline stanchion. Tweakers are needed for a close reach

Mine is on a Karver furler.  In hindsight I probably would try it first without the furler.

I don't have any dimensions handy I would have to measure it and I won't be there till mid January but if you are using North they should have mine on file

Is it worth it? For buoy racing probably not, too much screwing around. deployment was not fast compared to an asymmetrical.   For long distance racing it makes a great heavy air spinnaker and on light air close reach to a reach it worked well.  Slotted nicely between the jib and an A3.  I was playing games with an ORR/ORC rating where I took a credit for leaving the genoa home and adding the zero as a "small spinnaker".  I think ORC is on to that strategy now.

John

Joe Cooper

Dec 21, 2023, 12:26:45 PM12/21/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Yorr sailmaker can get a sail plan from J-boats.
Alan J will send it as a Cad file and the sail designer can manipulate it from there.
Do you know how much rake you carry? Sail designer will need this to get a good ISP, TSp length.
Is the sail going on a furler?
In this case the length is more critical than if not.
You need to have the cable tight enough to allow the thing to furl l properly.
Probably time for a bob stay too.
(All if this comes from 40 years in the sail making game)
And having done a number of zeros for the 105's.
Cheers
coop

Mark Wessel

Dec 21, 2023, 3:40:23 PM12/21/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

Here is the measurement cert for runaways code 0,  we are MWPHRF and there is no hit.   I made a strop and fly it a few feet from the end of the sprit, it works great and no need for a Bob stay.   It is definitely worth the investment.

Mark Wessel

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
cid:C76F60D1-9493-4D06-8808-0D6B1E96DEA0.pdf

Joe Cooper

Dec 21, 2023, 6:02:15 PM12/21/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Ah, this technique has the added advantage of making the TSP-ISP length less critical.
THe tack can be pulled out till the torque rope is firm.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 21, 2023, at 09:02, Rob Ferguson J/92 Flying Fish <rob.ferguso...@gmail.com> wrote:

So I am ordering a code 0. Seems like a good deall at $2500.  It is a risk but it seems like it may be worth it. I will let every knw how it goes.

Rob Ferguson J/92 Flying Fish

Dec 22, 2023, 10:31:33 AM12/22/23
to J/92 Owners
Wow!  Thank you to all heaps!!!! I greatly appreciate the wealth of knowledge provided and measurements. Will send Lion Sailing who is making the code Zero the measurements and I will do the strap on the sprit that was recommended.

The rumor out is that our phrf will dissolve and eventually join MWPHRF.. I am on the Canadian side and belong to a small phrf association called ECPHRF that is completely run by Olson 30 owners.    I am a shoal draft with an outboard and I rate 102 (+6 for the shoal draft, -6 for the outboard). My PHRF association says I can have the option of carrying a Symetrrcal with my asymmetrical on my boat and not get a penalty.   I heard a symmetrical may be a bit faster. But that was in the olden days before all the improvements in A2s.  The olson 30's rate 102 here and somehow the J/29 that I race against only got a 3s penalty for switching to an outboard.  I run a 15hp Johnson so I can go lighter with the motor but the boat hauls ass with it so I am reluctant to go smaller.   I am the last shoal draft j/92 out there.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Paolo Ciceroni

Dec 22, 2023, 12:35:57 PM12/22/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I had a Coder 0 on my boat to the TOP of the mast... I had 2 new lines (from outside the mast to the deck... The boat was very fast with true wind under 10 knots and from 60° to 140°. I often used that sail instead of the gennaker....

Rob Ferguson J/92 Flying Fish

Dec 22, 2023, 11:11:47 PM12/22/23
to J/92 Owners
Love to see pictures of any code zeros flying if anyone has any... Seems to be such a variety of sizes and shapes.

Paolo Ciceroni

Dec 23, 2023, 1:29:04 AM12/23/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi, here's a pict of my CODEZERO! Now I got a Bavaria 35 Match but my eart will be forever on a J92!
Paolo from Italy

33618740_1809785995731092_2690670579991707648_o.jpg

EC Helme

Dec 23, 2023, 8:02:09 AM12/23/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Here’s another interpretation.  Narrow at the top.  Relatively straight entry (no luff cable/no furler). We have the bobstay but I’m not sure we’ve ever really loaded it up — good piece of mind anyway.  We use a tweaker to close the top a bit.  We set and douse like a regular asymm so that takes some planning on the course since you are flying it upwind but generally in lighter conditions. We’ve tacked it once or twice — not pretty but can be done since it is generally light.  For a 92S with no J1 or J2 I can’t imagine life without it now.  Even with a relatively narrow optimum AWA, when it is up it is just so much faster than we would be otherwise.  Happy holidays to everyone.  EC

IMG_4047
EC Helme

On Dec 23, 2023, at 1:29 AM, Paolo Ciceroni <grecoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j92owners/CABjZnkf%3DQ4vD-HKGfosarpQhTvP%3DsOkAjmqoP1K68nNJBzOohA%40mail.gmail.com.
<33618740_1809785995731092_2690670579991707648_o.jpg>

Joe Cooper

Dec 23, 2023, 10:08:04 AM12/23/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Here's my two euros worth.

On a 105, granted, but made in 1.5 Nylon. I did about half a dozen of these for various 105's. Mainly for short handed, DH racing. One was in 3/4 and worked (and survived) in 25 tru at 100 apparent going full speed, DH...(That is another  3 beer story)
The nylon is a superior material because as EC remarks, it can be handled like a "normal" kite.
The Nylon is much lighter than the films.
The fabric cost is much less, maybe 50% depending on variables.
So the finished sail is less than a film sail.
This is I reckon better value for a sail seeing only occasional use, in reality.
It is easier to handle
Has much better flutter (read flapping, flogging ) response, you can stuff it into a bag
Does not need 2k worth of furler and torque rope
And so on.
Cheers
Coop

J-105 Code Zero measuring as a spinnaker.jpg
Zero-LaChance_j105.JPG

Mark Camilleri

Dec 23, 2023, 12:37:37 PM12/23/23
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob so you installed a Mast head sheave on a classic ? Did you also fly the kite mast-head ?

If you have instagram look up my boat @pep_j92
image0.jpeg
Regards
Mark Camilleri
99404089

On 23 Dec 2023, at 07:29, Paolo Ciceroni <grecoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j92owners/CABjZnkf%3DQ4vD-HKGfosarpQhTvP%3DsOkAjmqoP1K68nNJBzOohA%40mail.gmail.com.
<33618740_1809785995731092_2690670579991707648_o.jpg>

Rob Ferguson J/92 Flying Fish

Jan 18, 2024, 1:18:36 PMJan 18
to J/92 Owners
My mast is off for the season up here in Canada. My saill loft for some reason insists on me getting these dimensions even though I provided them with all of the above specs.
Will pay $50 if someone could give me these measurements.. Will transfer you the cash.  Thanks heaps. Rob

  • Distance from tip of bowsprit to the point where the halyard comes out of the mast
  • Height from the deck to where your halyard comes out of the mast

john aellen

Feb 27, 2024, 11:54:48 AMFeb 27
to J/92 Owners
Rob;

Seems like a good price on a Code 0.  What loft is building it for you?  I might like to give them a call  . . .

thx

Rob Ferguson J/92 Flying Fish

Feb 29, 2024, 9:13:35 AMFeb 29
to J/92 Owners
It is through Lion sailing out of New York. He works alot with j/100s ... It is a risk but worth it for the price.. Nice guy to work with.  He has the material but still I have to give him the dimensions once my mast goes up in 2 weeks.  He wants a personal measurement.
https://lionsailing.com/

Marcus Anthony Seth

May 2, 2024, 7:53:45 PMMay 2
to J/92 Owners
MT103/202 DIRECT WIRE TRANSFER
PAYPAL TRANSFER
CASHAPP TRANSFER
ZELLE TRANSFER
LOAN DEAL
TRANSFER WISE
WESTERN UNION TRANSFER
BITCOIN FLASHING
BANK ACCOUNT LOADING/FLASHING
IBAN TO IBAN TRANSFER
MONEYGRAM TRANSFER
IPIP/DTC
SLBC PROVIDER
CREDIT CARD TOP UP
DUMPS/ PINS
SEPA TRANSFER
WIRE TRANSFER
BITCOIN TOP UP
GLOBALPAY INC US
SKRILL USA
UNIONPAY RECEIVER

Thanks.

NOTE; ONLY SERIOUS / RELIABLE RECEIVERS CAN CONTACT.

DM ME ON WHATSAPP
+1(786) 588-4571