92S second battery

Patrick M

Aug 5, 2021, 6:01:46 AM8/5/21
to J/92 Owners
Trying to add a second battery in a 92S. The manuals suggest there is a 3rd cutout but the boat does not appear to have one. Anybody have experience with this?
Thank you.

JD Vincent

Aug 5, 2021, 10:29:55 AM8/5/21
to J/92 Owners

I own a 2007 J92S, hull # 66.  I purchased the boat used in 2012.  When I bought it there were two batteries installed, one on either side of the engine box/companionway.  The port side battery starts the engine, the starboard side battery does not start the engine and I have concluded the starboard battery is intended as the “house battery” for lights, instruments, etc.  There is also a battery isolator installed in the engine room.  Ideally I would like to replace the current single positive and negative (factory) European style battery switches with a North American style one-two-off battery switch so that I could start the engine from either or both batteries, but I have yet to tackle that project.

I have concluded that the second battery (starboard side) was probably installed sometime after the boat left the factory- perhaps by the local J boats dealer here in Toronto who imported and sold the boat new to the first owner and also brokered the subsequent sale to me. The original owners manual shows a single battery set up (port side) and an optional two battery set up.  For the optional two battery arrangement, the owners manual shows a separate battery switch for the starboard side battery, which my boat does not have.  Also, I discovered after owning the boat for a while that the second battery was not being charged by the alternator.  I remedied that problem since, but I am still unable to start the engine with the starboard battery.

Hope that helps.

jeff harris

Aug 6, 2021, 2:26:35 AM8/6/21
to J/92 Owners
I have a 2005 J92S, I believe it was made in France and delivered to Ireland and then sold in Scotland. It is now in Malaysia where I live and race it regularly.

Nijinsky has the same two battery setup that Davey describes, one port side in a box and one starboard side in a box. I have always assumed this was the factory setup. The starboard side is a "house" battery and I use an AGM type that has a slow discharge an maintains voltage well, especially for ovrnight sailing. The starter battery on the port side is lead acid. They both seem to charge fine and I don't have problems. I installed a small, low cost solar panel on a long floating cable that I put on deck when the boat is not being used. It keeps both batteries topped up well. I move it down below when sailing.

I do keep a set of car jump leads on board in case the starter batery goes down but I have never had to use them. The intention is to join the two batery positives with the red lead if needed.

Simon Letort

Aug 7, 2021, 2:15:19 AM8/7/21
to J/92 Owners
Patrick,
My J92s (#35) has the setup described in the manual + a 3rd battery on starboard & solar panel charging system installed by a previous owner who did long-distance solo races.
It has 3 circuit breakers on port as described in the manual (#3, #4, #10 in diagram 2) and a Sure Power 1202 isolator (#7) to distribute charge.
I plan to replace these breakers and the isolator with a battery switch and Automatic Charging Relay. But so far only had time to buy the parts! (https://www.bluesea.com/products/7650/Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_120A)
I prefer the "add a battery kit" setup as a single switch is simpler than 3 breakers (it also allows to combine batteries for emergency starting contrary to the breakers), the ACR has less voltage drop than an isolator, the ACR allows to route all charge (alternator + solar panels) directly to the house batteries and isolate the engine battery.
Here is a good post about ACR vs. isolator: https://marinehowto.com/automatic-charging-relays/
Best,
Simon

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.58.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.59.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 7.00.28 AM.png

d73p6...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2021, 6:23:29 AM8/7/21
to j92o...@googlegroups.com, si...@letort.eu
That’s quite helpful.
Thanks

Patrick

Patrick M

Feb 21, 2022, 3:35:44 PM2/21/22
to J/92 Owners
Looking for some follow up please:
I pulled the old switches and box out today with plans to install the Blue Sea Add a Battery. I find it a bit confusing. Has anyone actually installed one of these? How does the alternator connect? Did you put the negative bus bar as well?
Thank you, hopefully I didn’t make a big mess of it!
Patrick