Reefing the mainsail

EJH

Jul 3, 2021, 10:23:48 AM7/3/21
to J/92 Owners
Our sail maker recommends against reefing mainsail on J/92 - reduce foresail only.
Following this recommendations, when overpowered, we have been reducing foresail only and if still on our side, pinching to reduce heel.

Any thoughts on reefing mainsail?

Thanks.

EJ Haskell
Vixen #91
Old Greenwich, CT

Dan Stone

Jul 3, 2021, 10:39:18 AM7/3/21
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I've gotten the opposite advice but maybe because of what I want for headsails.  I expect to buy a 145% genoa that will go up to 16 knots true and be strong enough cloth to go to 20.  My sailmaker suggested that I be able to reef the main if needed.  Here in Narragansett Bay the forecast most often given is 10 - 15 knots.  Which, in the evening in particular, means it could drop to 8, but may also gust to 16-18.

Have not done that yet though and am new to the boat :-).

Thanks,
Dan Stone
Triple Play #9

Joe Cooper

Jul 3, 2021, 11:14:31 AM7/3/21
to J-92 Group
EJH
Did he give you a reason as to why not reef?
Possibly a hard finish one design dacron material?
OR was it to do with performance?
A reefed main on these boats will impact pointing ability.
Putting a smaller jib on is a chore assuming you have the usual furler. A good reason to have hanks.
BUt then it all depends on the style of sailing you are doing?
Fleet racing around govt marks?
Hot dog w/l courses? Change jibs between races? A PIA again of the JIb has vertical battens....
NO easy answer with information available.

david mintzer

Jul 3, 2021, 11:55:10 AM7/3/21
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi EJ.

Generally, we’ll reduce first, reef second as needed to keep from being overpowered.  We could be wrong about this but it seems to work fine.  But, we’re here in San Francisco where there’s no shortage of wind.

David
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 3, 2021, at 7:23 AM, EJH <ejbou...@gmail.com> wrote:

Todd Aven

Jul 3, 2021, 3:35:36 PM7/3/21
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
The recommendation from your sailmaker is probably spot on in the right context.

I found that beating to windward I wouldn’t reef until the sustained wind was over 30. Flattening the main aggressively with backstay and a tight leech gave just the right combo of lift and power. I’d fly a j3 in 18-25 and j4 in 25+.

On a blast reach it’s a very different story. Reef early, reef often. You have to keep the boat on its feet and you want the most powerful headsail you can carry. You can find a video of my Block Island Race 2013 with plenty of examples. I had a sweet setup for single line reefing from the cockpit. Put in or shake out a reef in 30 seconds start to finish.

On Jul 3, 2021, at 10:20 AM, EJH <ejbou...@gmail.com> wrote:

EJH

Jul 3, 2021, 6:30:26 PM7/3/21
to J/92 Owners
Joe,

His reason  was performance, but I can't recall if it was the sacrifice of speed or pointing or something else.
We do primarily PHRF navigation courses around gov't marks, most on the order of 15-20 miles, with a few distance and one or two overnight races per season, usually with a crew of 4-6, though practicing to do a bit of double-handed when we are short of crew.
We have a furler with two tracks, but have not attempted sail changes during a race yet. We usually sail with a 145 genoa or a 100 jib.
We also do mid-week around the cans racing, but for those, we rarely reduce sail (Long Island Sound wind dies at race o'clock!).

EJ

bushra...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2021, 10:33:43 AM7/4/21
to j92o...@googlegroups.com

EJ,

Copy on your use.

Regardless it is diminution of pointing ability that will happen on this style of rig.

There is a variable likely not applicable to you to do with the possibility of using a hard finish “one design” Dacron fabric. That material really is not appropriate for being reefed, it has way too much resin filler in ot and reefing breaks this down and so the fabric loses its “stability” faster than usual.

My guess is you do not have this material though based on the sailing you are doing.

One other thought on the headsails.

You say Furler and two tracks and not tried headsail changes.

IF the jib is being used attached to the furling mechanism, head and tack swivel, you will NOT be able to change headsails.

To do this, the sail must be set independent of the furling hardware, tack swivel and head swivel.

Usually the Harken furler’s can be disassembled so as to use just the foil part, but this depends on age mainly.

Todd Aven

Jul 4, 2021, 10:59:58 AM7/4/21
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
To paraphrase Joe, either you rig for furling or you rig for peels. As long as the halyard is attached to the head of the sail directly, the top swivel will happily sit above it when you hoist the first jib. On the peel to another jib, the second jib will keep the swivel aloft when the first comes down. No furling unit disassembly required.

Joe Cooper

Jul 4, 2021, 11:09:50 AM7/4/21
to J-92 Group
Todd,
G'day mate-HOWs that 99 holding up?
In general I agree but in my experience it is preferable to open the feeder on the foil, and drop the halyard swivel below the feeder. THe way I read  your comment, the halyard swivel goes up and down above the head of the Jib...?
Another detail is having two snap shackles, one for the in use sail, the second for the new sail.
On the sails I have done for this double duty application, it is possible to build a pronounced tack set back into the tack area so the tack can fit onto the deck around the drum. The leading edge of the sail then needs some chafe protection in this area but it all works.
Cheers
Coop

Ej Haskell

Jul 4, 2021, 5:50:43 PM7/4/21
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for your feedback. Todd, it is great that you continue to contribute to this forum even though you've moved on to the J/99.. Your J/92 knowledge and experience are a great asset.

EJ Haskell

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "J/92 Owners" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j92owners/eee7fca3-87fb-49f2-9d54-268e23da4bafn%40googlegroups.com.

Philippe Couillabin

Jul 5, 2021, 3:47:43 AM7/5/21
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I have a 150% genoa and a 105% solent, the genoa is valid upwind up to 10 max of true wind, the solent is very good from 8 knots of true wind up to 25 knots.
North 3DI sails
The boat is very competitive in IRC

Todd Aven

Jul 7, 2021, 1:15:06 PM7/7/21
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Thanks EJ. I have a soft spot for the 92 and enjoy helping others get the most fun possible from theirs.

Marcus Anthony Seth

May 2, 2024, 8:06:26 PMMay 2
to J/92 Owners
MT103/202 DIRECT WIRE TRANSFER
PAYPAL TRANSFER
CASHAPP TRANSFER
ZELLE TRANSFER
LOAN DEAL
TRANSFER WISE
WESTERN UNION TRANSFER
BITCOIN FLASHING
BANK ACCOUNT LOADING/FLASHING
IBAN TO IBAN TRANSFER
MONEYGRAM TRANSFER
IPIP/DTC
SLBC PROVIDER
CREDIT CARD TOP UP
DUMPS/ PINS
SEPA TRANSFER
WIRE TRANSFER
BITCOIN TOP UP
GLOBALPAY INC US
SKRILL USA
UNIONPAY RECEIVER

Thanks.

NOTE; ONLY SERIOUS / RELIABLE RECEIVERS CAN CONTACT.

DM ME ON WHATSAPP
+1(786) 588-4571