Trim quick guide

christian isberg

Aug 19, 2022, 3:55:53 PM8/19/22
to J/92 Owners
Hey girls and guys!

Just got my hands on Jubilon, a j92 from 2002. It’s in great condition and I’m very happy.

I wanna know if someone has any good trim guide, ive gone thru the group, but a lot of broken links and perhaps i missed some things.

We will mainly race with the jib.
I found the ullman sails guide but wanna know if anyone has something more in depth.
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/37068590/ullman-sails-j92tunepdf-sailmakerorg

Did  anyone develop a quick trim guide for the j/92?

Ive put together what I found already (some points are not j92 specific). Somethings might be waaaay off so feel free to change and comment: Aslo, lets assume the rig is  perfectly trimmed.

Upwind:

Jib:
Halyard: Gradually tighten the halyard from underwear wrinkles (from 0kn) up to full hoist (around 15-16kn)
Spreader reference: ?
Jib traveler: What would a good base position be?

Main:
Traveler: 50% windward gradually come down to center
Boom aft/ridge: 5-10cm to windward
Leech:
0-4kt Open
4-14kt top TT visible 25-50%
14kt: top TT visible 100%
Backstay: I know this is really important for pointing but how much should I put it on?
Wang: no need
Cunningham: 5kt gradually put it on for speed rather than power
Outhaule: 100% on regardless of wind (apparently comes from guys on Northsails)

Reaching
I come from symmetrical so I have plenty to learn here
Tack: tight
Luff: ?

Main:
Traveler: in leeward
Wang: Top batten parallel with boom
Outhaul: On

Broad Reaching/downwind
Tack: off up to 1m?  Keep vertical or to windward
Luff: ?

Main:
Traveler: Leeward
Wang: top betten parallel with boom
Outhaul: off
Haleyard: underwear wrinkles (1-3cm)

Yepp - best is to get out there and to find the balance but I’d like to kick start it :).

Very best
Christian