J/42 deck measurements

jeff thayer

Mar 9, 2024, 11:29:36 AMMar 9
to J/4X Owner's Group
Hello J/42 Nation,

I need some assistance from a J/42 owner with ready access to their boat.   I'm in California while my boat is in Michigan.   Not smart I know, but there it is.

One of my winter projects is to build a cradle for our folding RIB (F-RIB) dinghy and I'm not trusting my measurements taken from last summer.  I was wondering if somebody could confirm these on their J/42?

The pictures attached show the two critical measures:
1) from the aft edge of the saloon overhead hatch to the main hatch hood (forward edge).  Basically, how long is the deck between the main hatch hood where it intersects the deck to the next obstruction forward which would be the opening hatch over the mail saloon
see red line below:

deck measures.jpeg

2) the height of the main hatch hood above the deck level.

669163461 copy 2.jpeg

thank you, thank you.

Jeff Thayer
SV Allez
Montara, Ca, and Charvelvoix, Mi

Todd Stevens

Mar 9, 2024, 11:46:56 AMMar 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I get 25.5 inches between the two and the hood at 2.75 inches tall.  Although the exact point at which each structure “begins” may be up for debate, as there is a fillet at the base.  It might be lens distortion but the turtle in the picture looks a little taller than mine?

I have sometimes thought of bolting on an off-the-shelf cargo basket in that area, but I’ve already got the Honda generator there and I hate it.  Not the generator, but the clutter.  I also sometimes park the bicycle case/trailer over the turtle.  Might not look quite so bad with a canvas cover over the stuff.

On Mar 9, 2024, at 09:29, jeff thayer <jeff.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

jeff thayer

Mar 9, 2024, 12:37:57 PMMar 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Todd, that was quick.  I'll be able to get back to my CAD work today.   We sailed last summer w/ the dinghy lashed in the candidate location and it was not too objectionable.  The 10' RIB folds down to about 3' x 3' x 18 inches.

One more question Todd, how wide is the base of the saloon hatch?  Like if I was going to try to straddle the hatch w/ my cradle, how wide would it need to be to not interfere w/ the hatch?

Todd Stevens

Mar 9, 2024, 12:56:14 PMMar 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
It’s 24” between the outer edges of the fillets, which leaves about half an inch clearance to the rim of the hatch.  But then, at least on my boat, there’s only about two more inches until you run into the lines from the deck organizers. That’s why I had to add a couple of 45°’s and take a “wide stance” for the Charlie Noble from the cabin heater.  (Looks like more room in this pic, but the spin downhaul / preventer wasn’t rigged.)
IMG_4365.jpeg

Ed S

Mar 10, 2024, 1:19:48 AMMar 10
to J/4X Owner's Group
Jeff,

I currently lash my 9’ F-RIB in that location, so I’d be very appreciative to see what you come up for a cradle design.
Ed

jeff thayer

Mar 10, 2024, 9:08:51 PMMar 10
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ed, we traveled w/ our F-rib in the same location last summer and it was totally acceptable from a sightlines, and moving around deck perspective.  You can see it below.   However, it was a pain to deploy and secure back.  Lots of lines and knots.   The goal for the new mount is easy to load/unload once the F-RIB is folded, secured using beefy straps.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 5.52.02 PM.png

Here are some preliminary CAD views.   The deck is in blue, w/ the saloon hatch fully modeled, but the main hatch-hood is partially modeled.   The purple are the blocks that would support the dink and the green is the F-RIB itself.  The transom of the dink is forward and lower.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 5.53.30 PM.png
The one thing I don't like is the cantilever of the dink off the cradle to clear the main hatch hood.  I will definitely share my progress and experience w/ the group.
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 6.07.14 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 6.07.01 PM.png

Tom Keffer

Mar 10, 2024, 9:48:44 PMMar 10
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Seems like a good way to scoop up some green water!

William Stellin

Mar 10, 2024, 10:50:16 PMMar 10
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
We purposely bought a 9’ dinghy that fits in a bag so we can store it where it was designed for in the tub in the aft deck.
This was for Atlantic passaging. For every day use we stowed it upside down ahead of the mast. Plenty of room and very easy to launch, recover and stow. Simple line or straps secure it to the hand rails and toe rails. Use the halyards and a deck winch to hoist it. Nothing is attached to the deck and it helps to ventilate the vee berth because that hatch can be open under the dinghy. On several occasions mid Atlantic in really wild seas we would have solid water come down the center line of the deck , over the dodger like a water fall. The last thing I would have wanted would have been something to keep the tons of water from continuing into the cockpit. Plus no matter what you mount ahead of the dodger will screw up your  forward. One of the great design features of J/42’s is their vision forward from anywhere in the cockpit. You will show off some great design and build skills but I wouldn’t use it if you gave me one free. I know this is a little harsh but J/Boats put a lot of design thought into the boat. Far it from me to try and out think them.
As an as an aside, ever notice you hardly ever see J/boats with Jerry cans lashed to their life lines. The boats are so well designed they sail when many popular cruising boats are motoring. Island Packets are great boats but do you ever see one on passage without at least 3 yellow cans just waiting to be swept off deck. Jes  sayn”. I’ve been preaching since our hull#6 was built “keep it simple”. Enjoy sailing instead of modifying an already “almost” perfect boat.
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 10, 2024, at 9:08 PM, jeff thayer <jeff.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Ed S

Mar 11, 2024, 4:56:01 PMMar 11
to J/4X Owner's Group
Design looking nice Jeff.

I too find that it works folded and lashed in front of the dodger. Not perfect, but really not bad at all. Cradle is needed to keep it nice and secure. I ratchet strap as tight as I dare on the grab rails, but I feel like I’m going to create leaks if I keep using them.

As gor Bill’s observations… different strokes. Simple day trips, I tow the dinghy without the motor. Nasty weather during the day or a simple overnight, it’s lashed down in front of the dodger. Longer passages, stowed below, where it fits nicely between the table and port settee. Never on the foredeck while inflated, because I find it creates all sorts of problems with working room and catching sheets. It would make single-handing the asym up-and-down a nightmare. Life raft in the after deck locker.

Although I would never put davits on a J/42, I often wish I had some.

I love having the rigid bottom, and can’t imagine ever going back to full inflatable. I don’t hear good things about F-RIB’s, customer support, however. Shame… it’s a brilliant dinghy.

Ed

jeff thayer

Mar 12, 2024, 1:40:37 PMMar 12
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ed, could not agree more w/ all your comments.   I love the dinghy, but have not had to deal w/ the manufacturer since purchase so no expereince w/ their customer service.

jeff thayer

May 25, 2024, 12:42:33 PMMay 25
to J/4X Owner's Group
I've changed my design approach to the dinghy mount (see picture below).  After a number of iterations, I've abandoned the mounting blocks and gone to a tubular frame that would both serve as support for the hull and anchor points for straps.  Also allows water to drain unobstructed off deck.  And when dinghy is not there, is pretty unobtrusive.  This approach requires a different measurement confirmation.   I need to know how wide the main hatch "turtle" is (see red arrow in image below).  Maybe a measure to where the control lines lie on the deck on either side of the turtle would do.   Anybody visiting their J42 this weekend and can help me out?  I can share the design details w/ anybody interested.  Should be easy to have fabricated.
Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 9.33.59 AM.png

Ed S

May 26, 2024, 8:28:06 AMMay 26
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

I’ll be at my boat tonight or tomorrow morning, and will send measurements.

Regards,
Ed

------------------------------------
Ed Sitver
WhatsApp:  +1 303-570-5071
Mobile: +1 303-570-5071

On May 25, 2024, at 12:42, jeff thayer <jeff.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've changed my design approach to the dinghy mount (see picture below).  After a number of iterations, I've abandoned the mounting blocks and gone to a tubular frame that would both serve as support for the hull and anchor points for straps.  Also allows water to drain unobstructed off deck.  And when dinghy is not there, is pretty unobtrusive.  This approach requires a different measurement confirmation.   I need to know how wide the main hatch "turtle" is (see red arrow in image below).  Maybe a measure to where the control lines lie on the deck on either side of the turtle would do.   Anybody visiting their J42 this weekend and can help me out?  I can share the design details w/ anybody interested.  Should be easy to have fabricated.
<Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 9.33.59 AM.png>

Ed S

May 27, 2024, 9:53:14 AMMay 27
to J/4X Owner's Group
Here are measurements Jeff. I have photos of how and at what locations I measured, but I can’t get them to load to Google groups. I’ll text them to you.

Height of sea hood deck cover: 2.5”
Length of span between hatch and hood at upper edges: 28 6/8”
Length of span between hatch and hood at base of hood (start of curve on hood to handle bump): 26”

-Ed

jeff thayer

May 28, 2024, 12:14:58 PMMay 28
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ed.  The pictures are even more helpful.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "J/4X Owner's Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/618c7c02-0166-4f44-b62e-a61a1e05f38bn%40googlegroups.com.