Re: [J/4X-owners] Inner forestay quick release.

Robert Kowalski

May 19, 2024, 6:56:28 AMMay 19
to J/4X Owner's Group
> Digging around the shop yesterday I found this so, if any of ya thinking about setting up a inner forestay this is a good place to start and it''ll save you 400 bucks.
IMG_3231.jpg

Adam Ruscitto

Jun 10, 2024, 5:54:28 PM (10 days ago) Jun 10
to J/4X Owner's Group
Hi Robert, if you still have this, lever, I'm very much interested. One of my projects for this summer is installing an inner forestay on my J/40. I added all the mast hardware last time it was down. I'm working on adding the bulkhead, chainplate, and deck fittings now. Alan Johnstone was kind enough to send me the attached drawings of the original plan for a J/42 removable inner forestay.  I'm curious how you or anybody else who has taken on this project executed it, and what you may have done differently.

cheers,

Adam

J42 Optional IFS Profile.JPG
J42 Optional IFS Profile.JPG

Robert Kowalski

Jun 10, 2024, 9:24:03 PM (10 days ago) Jun 10
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yep still have it I’m on the boat right now and not very good at phone email. Let’s see if I can send a pic on how I did it..image0.jpeg
Guess it worked. Where are you I’m in RI I’ll be home on a couple of days I can write then.
Bob
Sailing a course less traveled...
Hunted and pecked on my iPhone

On Jun 10, 2024, at 5:54 PM, Adam Ruscitto <adamru...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Robert, if you still have this, lever, I'm very much interested. One of my projects for this summer is installing an inner forestay on my J/40. I added all the mast hardware last time it was down. I'm working on adding the bulkhead, chainplate, and deck fittings now. Alan Johnstone was kind enough to send me the attached drawings of the original plan for a J/42 removable inner forestay.  I'm curious how you or anybody else who has taken on this project executed it, and what you may have done differently.
<J42 Optional IFS Profile.JPG>
<J42 Optional IFS Profile.JPG>

Todd Stevens

Jun 10, 2024, 9:47:05 PM (10 days ago) Jun 10
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.  I would have looked to the existing bulkhead for support, which shows how much I (don’t) know.  Any info on the mast end of the project would also be of interest.

I collected hardware for such a project on my old boat, but never followed through.  Still have some of it, including the highfield lever.

Todd
J/42 #41

On Jun 10, 2024, at 16:06, Robert Kowalski <rc...@charter.net> wrote:

Yep still have it I’m on the boat right now and not very good at phone email. Let’s see if I can send a pic on how I did it..<image0.jpeg>

Adam Ruscitto

Jun 11, 2024, 1:09:44 AM (10 days ago) Jun 11
to J/4X Owner's Group
Alan also sent these two files on the mast portion. They were only loose reference for me, my 40 has Kenyon spars, and the 42 mast is a little different anyhow. I used a fairly unscientific method, consulting with some riggers to determine location for my tang and sheave box.
J42 Optional IFS tang location summary (1).JPG
J42 Hall Spars Optional IFS tang location (1).JPG

Robert Kowalski

Jun 13, 2024, 5:50:30 AM (7 days ago) Jun 13
to J/4X Owner's Group
Actually, I sort of agree with Todd if the anchor/v-berth bulkhead is close to the J measurement Allen gave you I’d slap a chain plate on it with a backing plate on the opposite side. Tabbing in that little bulkhead down in the anchor locker is a huge pain in the ass even with access from the v-berth like I had. You can make the chain plates easy if you have a drill and something to grind with and then just toggle the stay to it.

Bob

Sailing a course less traveled
Delightfully typed on a full keyboard on a mac
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/915bff1d-e646-4b71-94ca-eeebf9d14d50n%40googlegroups.com.
> <J42 Optional IFS tang location summary (1).JPG><J42 Hall Spars Optional IFS tang location (1).JPG>

Ed S

Jun 13, 2024, 4:06:46 PM (7 days ago) Jun 13
to J/4X Owner's Group
I had an inner stay sput in by Newport Rigging, engineered by New England Boatworks. Both of those efforts were headed by guys who worked with Hall Spars ( David Moffat probably put my mast in the boat out of the factory, and PJ Schaffer drew the mast).NEB tabbed the deck attachment to the v-berth bulkhead.
Ed

Adam Ruscitto

Jun 13, 2024, 5:04:04 PM (7 days ago) Jun 13
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Good information, thanks, Ed. @Bob, the dimension (41" behind stem head) in the drawing I received from Allen is a good bit further forward than the V-berth bulkhead. If i had to guess, the V-berth bulkhead is probably closer to 55" back from the stem head. It's all moot for me, my 40 doesn't have a forward anchor locker, or a bulkhead separating the v-birth, i'll be installing something close to what's depicted in the drawing.

For anyone who has an inner stay on any of the J/4x's, what type of sail are you flying off of it, and how did/do you handle sheeting it? Storm jib is obvious (?), but likely/hopefully won't see much use. My primary goal with an inner stay is to add another gear for upwind work, especially offshore, similar to how a solent rig would be used. If it works out to add horsepower reaching in lighter conditions, great, but my plan is a 'blade-like' headsail at ~95% of the inner stay foretriangle.

Bill Bowers

Jun 13, 2024, 5:21:35 PM (7 days ago) Jun 13
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
ConverJence J42#3 has the factory inner forestay plate on the bulkhead with the undersized Harken 1.5 furler moved there.  We have a reefable 9 oz North genoa staysail sheeted to padeyes on the cabin brow just after of the forward end of the grab rail.  Bullet blocks with adjustable height lashing for the sheets lead aft to clutches at the dodger utility winches. That lead splits the slot inside the yankee (#2 jib topsl).

We are rated PHRF as a cutter and required to fly the staysail upwind.  It adds 1/2 kn.

We back the staysl coming about which blows the soft shackle yankee clew tail smoothly around the staysl foil.

This is an ideal shorthanded cruising rig for us.

Cheers
Bill image0.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone