J/46 hot water tank replacement

Bernie Coyne

Jun 9, 2021, 10:16:33 AM6/9/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hi J/46 owners:

I think our original Atlantic Marine hot water heater has a leak.  I am going to remove it from the boat and see if I can find the leak and perhaps patch it.  But if not I was wondering if any in the group had replaced theirs and with what brand and size please?   I am aware of the Isotherm unit but it is a bit larger and will not fit in the same place without modifications: http://www.isotherm-parts.com/product-range/isotemp-waterheaters/double-coil/basic-water-heater-11-gal-dbl-heat-exchanger-115v-750w

Thank you for your advice.

Cheers,

Bernie

J/46 Mystic Rose #10

Bernie Coyne

Email: bernie...@outlook.com

Cell/text: 781-789-0762

Protect yourself, family and friends

Please get vaccinated

jeffery chale

Jun 10, 2021, 4:45:02 PM6/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I was able to fit the Isotherm unit with minor effort.  The straps are thru bolted from the shower and a couple of notches cut out of the horizontal support for the plywood below the cushion.

Jeff Chale
Hygge
J-46 #43
Vashon, WA

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 9, 2021, at 7:16 AM, Bernie Coyne <bernie...@outlook.com> wrote:

<image001.jpg>

Dick York

Jun 10, 2021, 5:04:39 PM6/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jeff-

How many gallons in that unit?
Thank You ....Dick York.

 "...get back aboard the boat where everything seems to make better sense."  M. Roye

Bernie Coyne

Jun 10, 2021, 7:29:26 PM6/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com

Jeff...same question as Dick please...how many gallons?

Thx

Bernie

Bernie Coyne

Email: bernie...@outlook.com

Cell/text: 781-789-0762

Protect yourself, family and friends

Please get vaccinated

jeffery chale

Jun 10, 2021, 8:40:56 PM6/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think 11?  I won’t be at the boat for a week.  I can check then.  Sorry I can’t remember exactly.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 10, 2021, at 4:29 PM, Bernie Coyne <bernie...@outlook.com> wrote:

Jeff...same question as Dick please...how many gallons?

Thx

Bernie

Bernie Coyne

Email: bernie...@outlook.com

Cell/text: 781-789-0762

Protect yourself, family and friends

Please get vaccinated

<image001.jpg>

Bernie Coyne

Jun 10, 2021, 8:54:32 PM6/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com

11 gal is great news...if you got that size to fit in the existing space then that is wonderful news!   Yes please confirm when you get a chance.

Thank you Jeff!

Bernie

Mystic Rose #10

Bernie Coyne

Email: bernie...@outlook.com

Cell/text: 781-789-0762

Protect yourself, family and friends

Please get vaccinated

jeffery chale

Jun 10, 2021, 11:29:26 PM6/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
It is 11 gallons, two heat exchangers, the second for the hydronic heating system.

I was an incredibly tight fit - probably less than an 1/8” gap between the top of the tank and the bottom of the plywood.

Taking my word for it means we assume each boat was built identically with very close tolerances.  Good luck!

Jeff
206-910-4964

Sent from my iPhone