J42 Fixed Port Leak

rers...@netscape.net

May 12, 2021, 5:45:30 AM5/12/21
to J/4X Owner's Group

This might be one for Bill.  The starboard side fixed port over the nav station has developed a rain water leak at the aft end, over the small shelf above the closet in the aft birth.  Seems impossible to get the inside screw on trim off the inside of the port due to the woodwork on the bulkhead wall behind the nav station seat.

I'm guessing I could remove the port from the outside, after having removed all the screws from the interior trim.  It'll take some heat to soften the caulk, which is probably adhering the exterior painted port frame to the dog house opening, plus a lot of very careful prying.  Is there a trick...or another means to get at this pesky leak?

Thanks in Advance
Reed   Cayenne  J42 #65

William Stellin

May 12, 2021, 9:48:45 AM5/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
You are on the right track. Remove the interior trim clamp ring screws and carefully pry the window unit away from the doghouse. TPI used 5200 so it is very difficult to remove the windows without pulling the gel coat off as well. Be careful of using heat as you can cook the gel coat. I think there is a product that softens 5200. If you pull the paint off the frame, repaint it or there will be a leak there even if you recaulk.  Water can migrate between loose paint and the frame. If it is salt water the aluminum starts to corrode and the leak gets worse. Prime the aluminum frame with special aluminum primer or the paint won’t stick.
I had the same leak and it was caused by the glass glazing to the frame failing. I took the whole unit to an auto window shop and they reglazed the glass to the frame. The people I used also do boat windows so you might have to hunt around. Your yard can probably recommend someone. No leaks since.
Bill #6

Sent from my iPhone

rers...@netscape.net

May 12, 2021, 2:35:23 PM5/12/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Thanks Bill.  If my boat was anywhere but Montenegro,  your advice would be reassuring, or at least less terrifying than it seems at the moment.  Despite the impressive numbers of megayachts around here belonging to Russian oligarchs,  there don't seem too many technical or supply resources in these parts for the recreational or commercial boating community.  Guess I'll have to go with duct tape until I can get somewhere better equipped to start such an ambitious renovation project.
Many Thanks,
Reed Erskine

William Stellin

May 12, 2021, 5:23:21 PM5/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is the leak coming from the glass glazing or the frame where it is bedded to the gel coat. If it’s the glass you might try pushing hard on just the glass in the corner from outside and trying to squeeze in some clear DOW silicone sealant. If it is the painted frame try laying a bead of poly sealant along the edge. All the way around the frame as water can be coming in anywhere. When I took all my ports lites out I found the hole cut in the doghouse was a bit sloppy and there are spots where there might only be 1/4 inch of fiberglass that the frame is sealed to.
Bill #6

Sent from my iPhone

rers...@netscape.net

May 13, 2021, 12:16:17 AM5/13/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Thanks Bill for the update on less invasive measures to deal with the fixed port leak.  The "duct tape fix" was meant to be tongue in cheek.   I have had occasion to remove the interior trim on some of the opening ports, only to be dismayed at the rough openings cut by TPI, which, as you say, are often very generously sized.  I'll try out your suggestions.  It's a tiny leak, but over the duration of the unexpected Covid layover it did some interior finish damage.
Ciao,
Reed

Ken austin

May 13, 2021, 2:43:19 PM5/13/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
While my experience is on a J40 from 1989 I had success with two cheap steps which while not long term fixes have worked for several seasons :
Capt’n Jack around the outside aluminum port panels- it slips into the same cracks as water and seals it up
Closed cell foam strips that can fill gap between window and gasket if latches no longer create adequate pressure.

Good luck, Ken

Sent from my iPhone

gale...@gmail.com

May 14, 2021, 4:07:44 PM5/14/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
I have used this stuff many times to soften 5200. Takes time, form a seam, fill it with goo, apply some pressure, open the seam a little more, repeat.
Galen
IMG_4550.jpg