Triomphe

Robert Thuss

Feb 24, 2021, 11:40:25 AM2/24/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Moving to a new thread....

That boat needs everything. It would be a blank canvas for somebody to pick up at the right price and give to a boatyard with a budget (note that no boatyard owners have picked it up). Seems like it could take at least $150k and many months, and you would have a newly rebuilt boat at about $250k.
SWAG:
Sails $30k
Electronics $30k
Cosmetics $25k
Rigging $15k
Systems $15k
Engine $10k
Gear $10k
Contingency $15k
Interesting debate as to how much you think that would take.
Is it feasible and is it worth the time and effort?

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 10:25 AM Tom Keffer <tke...@gmail.com> wrote:

Speaking of which, what's the story with TRIOMPHE, the J/42 that's been for sale in Connecticut for months at a very attractive price? At $110,000, I would figure she'd go quickly.

Owen Harren

Feb 24, 2021, 5:38:55 PM2/24/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've seen that boat listed for I want to say 5 years now.

I think you need to ask what major things are in need of attention.

I think more detail of systems is needed for example a budget of 10k may not scratch the surface.

Can't say I did't actually looked at it this past weekend (scrolling yacht world as I do every weekend) and didn't think about it as well.

I also think the budget needs a new keel and rudder to get rid of the Shoal draft.

The driver for budget / return is what can you or want to do yourself.

"O"

Tom Keffer

Feb 24, 2021, 6:00:00 PM2/24/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
OK, that answers my question. Too bad the previous owner didn't take better care of it. Any word on water intrusion into the core? That would be a real deal killer.

James Ashton

Feb 25, 2021, 9:40:39 AM2/25/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
I looked at that boat as well.  It's a project for sure, for the right buyer.

I was really impressed with the broker, Randy Artemis, Brewer Yacht Sales, Stamford, Ct ( former JBoat dealer decades ago)  who seemed very forthcoming and extremely knowledgeable about what the boat needed given his JBoat experience.  I don't recall what he said about core intrusion.   A phone call into Randy would be helpful for anyone interested.