Mooring Line Length and Size

stefan feuerabendt

May 23, 2024, 12:48:02 PMMay 23
to J/4X Owner's Group
Well, it's very rainy here, so I decided to focus on mooring lines!

I keep the boat on a mooring ball in Orient Harbor (in New York)....it's partially protected, but in a good southwesterly blow, she gets bounced around a bit.  So, I want to replace my mooring lines.

My current lines are 20ft and 3/4" diameter.  I am considering increasing the length and size to 30ft and 1" diameter.  I just don't know whether that is too long and too large.  Has anyone used a 1" diameter mooring line on a J/42?  And what length mooring line do you all use?

Thanks!

P.S. My mooring is way out, so not in the middle of a crowded field.

Joe Murli

May 23, 2024, 1:22:24 PMMay 23
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use 1” lines on my J44 “Sirena Bella”.  A bit of overkill but they have held up to repeated storm conditions

Joe Murli

Sent from my iPhone

Bernie Coyne

May 23, 2024, 1:57:02 PMMay 23
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com

We used 1 ¼” line on the twin mooring pennants on our J/42 in Marblehead Harbor – a real misnomer in NE storms 😊

Bernie Coyne

Email: bernie...@outlook.com

Cell/text: 781-789-0762

Rod Deyo

May 23, 2024, 4:57:20 PMMay 23
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
When cruising in the PNW with our J/42, we use a 3/4" Samson yacht braid about 20' long on mooring balls with large, durable (leather and spectra) chafe guards added at mooring attachment point and at the chocks. Good chafe guards are probably more important than a really huge line diameter.

Rod Deyo
J/42 Northern Lights