Replacing Vinyl Headliner

Jay PA

Apr 5, 2024, 8:09:44 PMApr 5
to J/4X Owner's Group
Does anyone know the name of the whitish color of the vinyl headliner on the J/42 (and likely most Js)?  Has anyone had to replace their headliner?

If I replace only one of the four panels in the main cabin, I suspect it won't match the aged vinyl of the others.  So I expect to replace all four and hope to use the original color and product.

I dropped my healiner panels while relacing my main hatch (a Lewmar Ocean Series 60,  leaking due to short wood screws breaking out of the thin hinge sidewall of the deck flange, now all reinforced, through-bolted and bedded in butyl tape). A large section near the nav station is completely rotted through above the vinyl.  It appears to be 1/4" Lauan Mohogany sheeting. TPI did not seal the back of the panels and the staples they used (presumably to hold the vinyl while the adhesive set) turned to rust, staining the vinyl.  The wood screws securing the sea hood were not bedded and penetrate through an un-cored section of the deck at the cove. Three of them leaked.  The instrument section of the sea hood also leaked where the wires penetrated the deck.  There is widespread mold on the underside of the deck in that area of the nav station.  It is expected to rebed everything I touch in my 2001 J/42 but the original construction practices are sometimes disappointing.

One project creates (at least) another!
Thanks.
Jay P-A J/42 Cirrus

Wayne Cassady

Apr 5, 2024, 10:04:39 PMApr 5
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
We took one of the vinyl covered panels to our upholstery guy who did the matching. Don’t recall anything about the vinyl make/color but there were a lot of white vinyls to choose from. Our panels were fine but we had to replace the adhered vinyl around the portholes and under the deck. That was five years ago and it all still looks like new.
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2024, at 8:09 PM, Jay PA <svh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone know the name of the whitish color of the vinyl headliner on the J/42 (and likely most Js)?  Has anyone had to replace their headliner?

Larry Romano

Apr 6, 2024, 9:59:29 AMApr 6
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I did that project two years ago and I was able to find vinyl from Great Lakes Skipper. They have a website and sell vinyl at what seems a good price. Pick out a few samples that look good and they will send them to you to check out in the boat. I used what they called fuzzy back vinyl. The glue I got from Deffenders, it is a 3M product in spray cans. Don’t put the glue on two heavy it affects the appearance of the vinyl. I also ripped down the vinyl glued to the fiberglass and replaced that.
Good luck

On Apr 5, 2024, at 10:04 PM, Wayne Cassady <wayne.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

We took one of the vinyl covered panels to our upholstery guy who did the matching. Don’t recall anything about the vinyl make/color but there were a lot of white vinyls to choose from. Our panels were fine but we had to replace the adhered vinyl around the portholes and under the deck. That was five years ago and it all still looks like new.

David Jade

Apr 6, 2024, 10:03:25 AMApr 6
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here’s another good source on the west coast. We found it at https://www.seattlefabrics.com/

They seem to be online order only now but you can request a sample book to match what you have. They had several lines of vinyl when I last looked.

David                      _/)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

smruff01

Apr 7, 2024, 4:46:47 PMApr 7
to J/4X Owner's Group
I replaced a section of headliner on our 2001 J32 last year.  After ordering several samples from a few brands, I selected Spradling Islander in Brilliant White (ISL-9177).  I was concerned that it might not match exactly and I would wind up replacing the entire cabin, but I hit a lucky streak, and it matches almost perfectly.  No one can tell the difference, and I can only tell under certain lighting while laying on deck looking at the ceiling panels...good enough!  I ordered samples directly from Spradling, and then ordered by the yard from onlinefabricstore.com.  Attached is the label from the sample.  One thing I did have an issue with is the adhesive.  I first tried 3M 90 adhesive spray.  That worked fine until the heat of summer, then the fabric started lifting off the plywood.  I then used Gorilla "ULTIMATE" spray adhesive right on top of the other adhesive, and its holding fine (touch wood).  Hope this is of help.  Best of luck!
Scott Ruff
J32 Makai
IMG_3730.jpeg

Joe Murli

Apr 9, 2024, 3:22:28 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I replaced all the headliners on our J44. Didn’t use vinyl. Instead bonded Formica to 1/8” plywood. Seven years old now still looks like new

Joe M
S/V Sirena Bella

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 6, 2024, at 10:03 AM, David Jade <da...@mutable.net> wrote:

 Here’s another good source on the west coast. We found it at https://www.seattlefabrics.com/

Jay Pasco-Anderson

Apr 9, 2024, 3:22:29 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Larry and Wayne!  What a group. That's all very helpful info. I'm not bold enough to strip the vinyl off of the f/g.  It still looks good after cleaning so will try to match it. I'm using 6mm Okoume marine plywood instead of junky Lauan Mahogany ply that blows up when wet.

JPA

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "J/4X Owner's Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/8CCCA3CA-122C-4515-B704-5773930A1B0C%40gmail.com.

Wayne Cassady

Apr 9, 2024, 7:49:25 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
The group of knowledgeable owners is a big feature of owning these boats. Not getting into the adhered vinyl will be a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2024, at 3:22 PM, Joe Murli <mysticpu...@gmail.com> wrote:

I replaced all the headliners on our J44. Didn’t use vinyl. Instead bonded Formica to 1/8” plywood. Seven years old now still looks like new

Milton Calder

Apr 12, 2024, 4:30:28 PMApr 12
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
We have someone who “may” be looking for a J-40 to purchase here in Camden, Me . If anyone has any leads please let me know .
Milt Calder
SMITTEN J-40

Owen Harren

Apr 12, 2024, 5:07:18 PMApr 12
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com

Wayne Cassady

Apr 13, 2024, 4:49:11 PMApr 13
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
We have Hull No 75, J40. She is not actually on the market but we have been thinking about maybe making a move and would welcome talking about it.

Sent from my iPhone

jeff thayer

Apr 14, 2024, 5:55:32 PMApr 14
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking at pulling the head liner down to attach some hardware to the deck above.   Any advice on how to remove w/ minimal (no?) damage to the bits and pieces?  Especially worried about the plastic trim around the main hatch over the salon table.

Jeff
J/42,
SV Allez

Paul Kekalos

Apr 14, 2024, 6:05:51 PMApr 14
to J/4X Owner's Group
Jeff-
I removed my headliner at beginning of last season in order to A) Install handrails in main cabin, and B) Switch out some deck hardware. It was not an easy task- on my J40 all the hatch trim pieces are wood, and were quite fragile, with some of them splitting. My advice would be- be very careful with a power drill installing and removing- I found it better to use a hand driver. It was tedious, but it worked better. The other thing I found (and this is just common sense, which I apparently lack) is that do not let any of the trim pieces hold the weight of the headliner - better to secure it elsewhere until you can fasten around trim, thereby alleviating stress on that meeting point.  Also, be ready to replace some of the screws that hold the headliner up. Some will fall, some will strip. Good luck!
-PK

Al Goethe

Apr 14, 2024, 6:23:26 PMApr 14
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
On my J/46 the trim around the main hatch is plastic. It came out in one piece when I removed all the screws around it (that also hold the small latches for the mosquito screens). Not really a problem. The biggest issue I have found when removing the vinyl coated headliner ‘planks’ was that the vinyl had attached itself to the wooden strips that separate them. It’s tough to get started prying it loose! Once a part has come off you can typically -carefully - pull the entire board down. Only if you had a leak that rotted the plywood backing will you break the boards. I’m speaking from experience…..

Al Goethe

On Apr 14, 2024, at 17:05, Paul Kekalos <pkek...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jeff-

Jay Pasco-Anderson

Apr 14, 2024, 7:02:44 PMApr 14
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
It's all very straightforward, even taking handrails off.  But tape the screws you remove to the hole in the item from which it came because you'd be surprised how some screws are longer/shorter than the others.  Also, my Lewmar hatch trim had a variable number of little spacer washers on each screw... so try to keep it together as it was.

JPA

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "J/4X Owner's Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/CANaLt8%2BDbjTJs07AZtNgBtZcXNLXH-7XVEWEMDD%2BYXd1Ecvd7w%40mail.gmail.com.

Bill Bowers

Apr 14, 2024, 7:08:17 PMApr 14
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff

Just remove hatch trim screws and cherry trim screws and the panels come free no problem.

Bill #3
Sent from my iPhone