J/46 water tank clean out cap gasket?

David Jade

Apr 9, 2024, 2:03:41 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Our J/46 has fresh water tank caps that currently do not have any sort of gasket and they leak. The caps look like they have a recessed groove for some type of gasket. Does anyone else’s caps have gaskets? Does anyone know who made the tanks?

We are striking out everywhere trying to find something to stop the leaks.

image0.jpeg

David                      _/)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Kowalski

Apr 9, 2024, 2:20:23 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dave Teflon tape on the threads or a o-ring that fits in the groove. Any hardware store.

Bob

Sailing a course less traveled
Delightfully typed on a full keyboard on a mac

> On Apr 9, 2024, at 2:03 PM, David Jade <da...@mutable.net> wrote:
>
> Our J/46 has fresh water tank caps that currently do not have any sort of gasket and they leak. The caps look like they have a recessed groove for some type of gasket. Does anyone else’s caps have gaskets? Does anyone know who made the tanks?
>
> We are striking out everywhere trying to find something to stop the leaks.
>

> <image0.jpeg>
>
> David _/)

David Jade

Apr 9, 2024, 2:57:03 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Should have mentioned. We tried Teflon tape and it was a disaster. Still leaked. The threads are so sharp it just shredded the stuff. Picked it out of the threads with a toothpick over about an hour.

I’ll try o-rings next. Surprisingly hard size to find in any type of store. Ones that should fit in that groove seem to be size 353 (using o-ring standard size chart).

David _/)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> On Apr 9, 2024, at 2:20 PM, Robert Kowalski <rc...@charter.net> wrote:
>
> Dave Teflon tape on the threads or a o-ring that fits in the groove. Any hardware store.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/4CC39B1B-D5F9-49CC-8072-CD641FC56CBF%40charter.net.

Gary Hooper

Apr 9, 2024, 2:59:27 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here is a source for the caps:

J/42 Raven

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 9, 2024, at 2:57 PM, David Jade <da...@mutable.net> wrote:

Should have mentioned. We tried Teflon tape and it was a disaster. Still leaked. The threads are so sharp it just shredded the stuff. Picked it out of the threads with a toothpick over about an hour.

David Jade

Apr 9, 2024, 3:09:46 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Ours are apparently 4.5” caps that Marine Sanitation has not seen before. Not has Fisheries or anyone else.

David                      _/)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Apr 9, 2024, at 2:59 PM, Gary Hooper <j42r...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Here is a source for the caps:

William Stellin

Apr 9, 2024, 3:32:04 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Our caps on #6 leaked from day one. I finally sealed the cap and they have never been removed since. We continue to drink the water in the tanks ever since 1996. Of course it goes through the SeaGull filter first. We never buy bottled water. Only the water in the tanks and we are still alive. Tanks have never been cleaned.
Bill #6
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2024, at 3:09 PM, David Jade <da...@mutable.net> wrote:

 Thanks. Ours are apparently 4.5” caps that Marine Sanitation has not seen before. Not has Fisheries or anyone else.

Larry Romano

Apr 9, 2024, 7:53:45 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi
If you are looking for hardware go online to mcmaster.com
I bought a bag of o-rings for my metal caps.
Good luck

On Apr 9, 2024, at 3:09 PM, David Jade <da...@mutable.net> wrote:

 Thanks. Ours are apparently 4.5” caps that Marine Sanitation has not seen before. Not has Fisheries or anyone else.

Wayne Cassady

Apr 9, 2024, 7:58:24 PMApr 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
We have ordered large O rings for other purposes on board. There are a few websites to choose from and you can specify diameter and ring thickness.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2024, at 3:09 PM, David Jade <da...@mutable.net> wrote:

 Thanks. Ours are apparently 4.5” caps that Marine Sanitation has not seen before. Not has Fisheries or anyone else.

S/V Sweet Ruca

Apr 11, 2024, 7:11:50 PMApr 11
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone repaired or replaced the vang on their J/46.

Ideas on where to source repair parts, or what has worked well as a replacement unit?

Mine seems to be wearing out the walls of the lower tube near where the blocks normally sit. This may be worth checking for any others with lots of miles.

Thanks,
Curtis