anchor roller options

us50931

May 22, 2020, 6:22:00 AM5/22/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
Hi - after searching the list a bit, I found some prelim info about anchor roller set ups on J/42's.  On our boat (see pic), the port side of the anchor roller "plate" has what appear to be two attachment points for either a sprit or another anchor roller.  Does anyone else have this and been able to find any OEM rollers or sprints that fit this configuration?   Or am I going down the McGyver route?
Thx
Sean Conner
anchor roller plate.jpg

York.richardw

May 22, 2020, 7:32:00 AM5/22/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Your photo is similar, but not the same as, the port anchor roller rig on my J/46.

I do not have a handy photo, but the port anchor roller is mounted on the fore side of a U shaped channel, guessing about 18 inches long.   The bottom of that channel has two keyhole openings, so it slides onto the two protrusions.  Then there is an athwartships fat bolt that  holds it in place.

My port roller has lived in that place for 20 years.   As a cruiser, I love the ability to deploy a second anchor quickly, knowing I can recover it over the port roller.

When anchoring in tricky locations, I was even able to carry the second anchor on the roller for several weeks at a time.  Ungainly, but doable.  Obviously, the second anchor was stowed for any real passage.

..... Dick York.  J/46 # 9, ARAGORN

Sent from my iPhone with tiny keys

On May 22, 2020, at 06:22, 'us50931' via J/4X Owner's Group <j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi - after searching the list a bit, I found some prelim info about anchor roller set ups on J/42's.  On our boat (see pic), the port side of the anchor roller "plate" has what appear to be two attachment points for either a sprit or another anchor roller.  Does anyone else have this and been able to find any OEM rollers or sprints that fit this configuration?   Or am I going down the McGyver route?
Thx
Sean Conner

<anchor roller plate.jpg>

Tom Keffer

May 22, 2020, 7:38:58 AM5/22/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looks like your boat is missing the anchor platform channel that fits on to the platform. Attached is a picture of what it looks like. Maybe it got damaged and a previous owner took it off?

-tk

--
IMG_2511.JPG

us50931

Sweet Ruca

May 22, 2020, 8:37:55 AM5/22/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wondering if White Water Marine has the plans, might be worth a call to them.

I’m especially interested in a bolt on sprit to possibly mount a code 0 on the J/46 if anyone has done it.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/10b32e19-efa2-4446-82aa-c91975019eab%40googlegroups.com.

Tom Keffer

May 22, 2020, 8:52:10 AM5/22/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
U.S. Watercraft made the original bow rollers. Unfortunately, they went bankrupt about 3 years ago, and assets sold in an auction. It would be a long shot, but you could try tracking down who bought the plans.

William Stellin

May 22, 2020, 10:17:07 AM5/22/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Your bow roller assembly is the same as mine. A side by side second roller was offered as an option. The aft end of it slid onto the flat studs and the side bolted to its mate on the starboard side channel wall. I never saw on in person but Johnston’s described it to me. I always felt one anchor hanging off the bow was enough although for cruising and anchoring often it could be very handy. I am sure a fabricator could make one. It’s design is pretty self evident. It’s length would be the hard part so as to not interfere with the starboard anchor.
Bill #6

Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2020, at 6:22 AM, 'us50931' via J/4X Owner's Group <j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi - after searching the list a bit, I found some prelim info about anchor roller set ups on J/42's.  On our boat (see pic), the port side of the anchor roller "plate" has what appear to be two attachment points for either a sprit or another anchor roller.  Does anyone else have this and been able to find any OEM rollers or sprints that fit this configuration?   Or am I going down the McGyver route?
Thx
Sean Conner

William Stellin

Edward Sitver

May 22, 2020, 10:26:02 AM5/22/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is good info, and have had it in the back of my mind to look into adding a roller on the port side, more to run mooring ball lines and my snubber out past the anchor than for carrying a second anchor, but it couldn’t hurt to have that option I suppose.

I’m already showing my roller to a metal worker about another issue, and will ask him about fabricating that plate. I’ll post what I find out.

Ed
------------------------------------
Ed Sitver
esi...@gmail.com
WhatsApp:  +1 303-570-5071
Mobile: +1 303-570-5071
------------------------------------

us50931

May 22, 2020, 11:37:05 AM5/22/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
Yep--just called Mike over there and they have the plans.  Rough estimate $400 to manufacture, but I asked him to figure out how to add a sprit as well (sent him Tom's pic).  Will let folks know what I learn.  Thanks...and Happy Memorial Day and remembrances.
Sean Conner

Al Goethe

May 22, 2020, 3:35:40 PM5/22/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m interested in the port side piece as well for Hamburg II. Maybe we can get a better price for several of them?

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to j4x-owners-gro...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/a3f10c63-3517-4ee3-a0d5-971e8710529f%40googlegroups.com.

John Bloomster

May 22, 2020, 9:06:25 PM5/22/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’d be interested in one for Wildflower.  I’ve got the same set up.
John.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Al Goethe <ankg...@gmail.com> wrote:

I’m interested in the port side piece as well for Hamburg II. Maybe we can get a better price for several of them?

us50931

May 23, 2020, 5:25:50 AM5/23/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
I'll try and find out what they can do for a bulk order.. of at least three.

Sweet Ruca

May 23, 2020, 8:52:17 AM5/23/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I would likely go in on one as well, especially if it includes a bowsprit option capable of a Code 0 on a furler.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/1d1c2d2e-6b37-4d37-8c1c-78a190174f24%40googlegroups.com.

Galen Todd

May 26, 2020, 8:20:29 AM5/26/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
Here is an interesting picture of a J46 anchor roller set up with an outboard attachment point. Not quite a sprit but very workable.
I am interested in any J42 sprit/outboard anchor roller solution as well.
Galen
J42 #57
IMG_4149.jpg

Sweet Ruca

May 26, 2020, 8:32:26 AM5/26/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
It works well, but it’s not quite far enough forward to use a furler.

us50931

May 26, 2020, 8:36:27 AM5/26/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
Waiting to hear back sometime today.  He had told me he'd do 10% discount ($360 ea) when I thought we had three.. This was just for the anchor roller plate.  Think we're up to five now.  And I'm waiting for him to opine on the sprit set up--guessing that would be more and may need a prototype.

Launching today, so will be a tad distracted.  :)
Sean Conner

Al Goethe

May 26, 2020, 10:15:13 AM5/26/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looking back through the thread I’m not sure I see for which boat the order of 5(?) is. I was thinking we’re talking about J/46, right?

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to j4x-owners-gro...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/f1b12d3c-b279-43b6-abac-f59fece71b57%40googlegroups.com.

Galen Todd

May 26, 2020, 11:48:57 AM5/26/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is there a drawing or design diagram?

Galen Todd
Camden, ME

On May 26, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Al Goethe <ankg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Looking back through the thread I’m not sure I see for which boat the order of 5(?) is. I was thinking we’re talking about J/46, right?
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "J/4X Owner's Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/D7ECBD4D-7128-4887-BC92-8A4E2511CF77%40gmail.com.

Al Goethe

May 26, 2020, 1:21:01 PM5/26/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
When y’all are talking about the sprit option, how much projection beyond the bow are you thinking? The bending moment will be tremendous! I’m thinking you would likely need to extend the pole backwards to take some of that load. That would then extend over the anchor locker?

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to j4x-owners-gro...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/f1b12d3c-b279-43b6-abac-f59fece71b57%40googlegroups.com.

Sweet Ruca

May 26, 2020, 1:36:34 PM5/26/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
That or a dolphin striker? Requires a some drilling and minor glass work, but a dyneema strop may be the way to go.  See some J/120s that have a striker mod to accommodate for code 0 halyard tension. This might interfere with anchoring though.

I would like to see some specs or a proposed drawing for something like this also. IMO the longer the J increase the better to open the slot to allow for running headsails inside.

Bill Bowers

May 26, 2020, 1:38:24 PM5/26/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
A potential jackstay attachment for a sprit is another function of our stem eyebolt on ConverJence.  Have not done one yet, but would if we get a code 0.

Bill #3

Sent from my iPhone

On May 26, 2020, at 1:21 PM, Al Goethe <ankg...@gmail.com> wrote:

When y’all are talking about the sprit option, how much projection beyond the bow are you thinking? The bending moment will be tremendous! I’m thinking you would likely need to extend the pole backwards to take some of that load. That would then extend over the anchor locker?

Tom Keffer

May 26, 2020, 2:52:41 PM5/26/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes, my 18" sprit does generate enough lift to peel the top of the stem off the deck. I speak from experience.

I use it only for my lightest downwind sails. For anything substantial, I attach the tack directly to the anchor platform. The transition is probably around 15 knots TWS.

In practice, this works out because light air is when you most need the extra distance. In heavier air, sailing deep is easier.

-tk

us50931

May 27, 2020, 4:33:29 AM5/27/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
So I tallied five interested in anchor roller plate:  myself, yourself Al, John Bloomster, Sweet Ruca, & Galen Todd.  I've been talking about this part for our J/42.  Not sure if it's the same part for a J/46.  I'll call Whitewater today and find out more info.  I'm guessing his plans are proprietary.  Finally,  the "sprit" feature was just something I was curious about, but I'll be planning to just buy the anchor roller plate regardless.  I'll suggest to them that we'd each call directly to place order etc;  and they can figure out how to apply the discount.
Sean

Barry Dwyer

May 27, 2020, 7:33:16 AM5/27/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sean,

I might be interested as well.

Barry
Tribute
J42 #53

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/5cfe5bbb-8615-4126-991d-d224c1f61852%40googlegroups.com.

Sweet Ruca

May 27, 2020, 8:10:02 AM5/27/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice work Sean!

Sweet Ruca = J/46

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/5cfe5bbb-8615-4126-991d-d224c1f61852%40googlegroups.com.

Al Goethe

May 27, 2020, 8:47:46 AM5/27/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks for getting this going for us! So, I’m seeing at least two of the five are J/46:

Sweet Ruca and Hamburg II (Al). Are the other three J/42? With Barry Dwyer there’d be 6th case, also J/42.

Anybody whom I mislabeled, speak up!

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe

Ed S

May 27, 2020, 9:20:55 AM5/27/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m on the fence about this right now. I’ll take a close look at my set up today, and decide if I want to go with the standard roller.

Ed

On May 27, 2020, at 8:47 AM, Al Goethe <ankg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Great, thanks for getting this going for us! So, I’m seeing at least two of the five are J/46:

Galen Todd

May 28, 2020, 8:08:46 AM5/28/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think I will pass on purchasing the port side second anchor roller. My real interest is in a removable sprit and not a second roller.
Thanks for all the effort.
Galen
J42 #57 Tango

Galen Todd
Camden, ME
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "J/4X Owner's Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/CCF71BB5-3589-4328-AD8E-67B833752F7C%40gmail.com.

us50931

Jun 16, 2020, 3:05:44 PM6/16/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
Just a follow up to the group on where this stands.  I've been back and forth with White Water Marine (they are swamped.. good news) and had to take some measurements to validate their plans.  Just waiting to hear back to confirm everything.   I'll plan to send a final note to confirm interest once plans are finalized.
Sean  Conner  J42 #1 VIDA

Al Goethe

Jun 16, 2020, 5:40:38 PM6/16/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update!

Is this effort including the J/46 option? Do you need any specific dimensions from us for that?

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to j4x-owners-gro...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/20c23402-9607-40a9-b2d3-9c83a470aff8o%40googlegroups.com.

us50931

Jun 17, 2020, 6:53:01 AM6/17/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
I'll double check....it's been a challenge getting a hold of them, so I'm losing confidence this will happen anytime soon.
Sean
Thanks for the update!

Bill Cuffel

Jul 1, 2020, 9:12:41 PM7/1/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
Garhauer made the original port side rollers.  I called them and they still had the patterns, so I had one made for our J42 for a very reasonable cost and fairly quick turnaround.  But that was 10 years ago. . . .

us50931

Jul 5, 2020, 5:53:10 AM7/5/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
Thanks Bill.   I had sent White Water marine dimensions of my bow plate, which are apparently different than what he had for plans.   It's been crickets since, so I suspect this option is withering fast.  I'll contact Garhauer this week-always have had great experience with them--and see what I can learn.

Edward Sitver

Jul 5, 2020, 9:43:58 AM7/5/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m interested again, if Garhauer is involved. If you find out that they still have the pattern, then I may give them a call as well.  My interest is in having a port-side roller made that extends forward farther than the starboard roller, so it would be a tweak to the design.

------------------------------------
Ed Sitver
esi...@gmail.com
WhatsApp:  +1 303-570-5071
Mobile: +1 303-570-5071

Al Goethe

Jul 5, 2020, 12:27:14 PM7/5/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
If Garhauer can help you, can you ask them about the J/46 version, too? Don’t want to come at them from all angles at the same time......

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe

On Jul 5, 2020, at 4:53 AM, 'us50931' via J/4X Owner's Group <j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

WSC

Al Goethe

Jul 9, 2020, 3:35:15 PM7/9/20
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Not sure I understand the ‘diagonal’ reference but I’ll take some measurements on the J/46 fitting.

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe

On Jul 9, 2020, at 2:15 PM, 'WSC' via J/4X Owner's Group <j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/d077ce1b-5392-4a72-a2b3-f29ce4e0d8d2o%40googlegroups.com.

WSC

Aug 16, 2020, 6:01:25 AM8/16/20
to J/4X Owner's Group
Just to let folks know.. I have not totally given up on this.   But it's been tough to get responses from both shops and I suspect they are still very busy with normal work.  I'm going to chase Garhauer again and see if I can nail them down on at least J42 options.  Will keep trying for J46 and J44's as well.

Ed S

Mar 11, 2021, 9:01:12 AM3/11/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Hi,
Just wondering if there were ever results on the anchor roller order. I’m interested again.

Ed

Al Goethe

Mar 11, 2021, 9:22:16 AM3/11/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m still interested, as well (J/46).

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe

On Mar 11, 2021, at 08:01, Ed S <esi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to j4x-owners-gro...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/34fb38d6-f9e4-46ec-925c-3a91269c82ddn%40googlegroups.com.

Graeme Nichol

Mar 11, 2021, 9:34:02 AM3/11/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com

There is another option, Don Green, in Deltaville makes rollers and sheaves. He has a CNC machine and can replicate damned near anything.

Graeme
SV Fin

Sail, Relax, Repeat
       ~~~ _/) ~~~

On Mar 11, 2021, at 09:06, Ed S <esi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to j4x-owners-gro...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/34fb38d6-f9e4-46ec-925c-3a91269c82ddn%40googlegroups.com.

Ed S

Mar 11, 2021, 9:51:34 AM3/11/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
If I were going to go custom, I have some tweaks to the port side roller, which probably makes it tough to do a group order. I would like the second roller to be longer than the primary on which I hang my anchor, to allow me to run snubbers and mooring lines over it without chaffing on the anchor.

Just throwing that out there to confuse matters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’d like to see the cost of jumping in on a group order of like rollers, versus doing something custom.

Regards,
Ed

Al Goethe

Mar 11, 2021, 10:52:18 AM3/11/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Do we have the construction drawings for the these contraptions?

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe

On Mar 11, 2021, at 08:51, Ed S <esi...@gmail.com> wrote:

If I were going to go custom, I have some tweaks to the port side roller, which probably makes it tough to do a group order. I would like the second roller to be longer than the primary on which I hang my anchor, to allow me to run snubbers and mooring lines over it without chaffing on the anchor.

Ed S

Mar 11, 2021, 11:07:30 AM3/11/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great question Al. I didn’t think we had the drawings.

Ed
------------------------------------
Ed Sitver
esi...@gmail.com
WhatsApp:  +1 303-570-5071
Mobile: +1 303-570-5071
------------------------------------

Al Goethe

Mar 11, 2021, 11:32:52 AM3/11/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Right, but I thought somebody on this string had contact with a manufacturer who did have this info.

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe

On Mar 11, 2021, at 10:07, Ed S <esi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Great question Al. I didn’t think we had the drawings.

Bill Bowers

Mar 11, 2021, 12:30:10 PM3/11/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ed
Look at MaineSail’s gallery of day after storm pics of the remains of rollers after using them to lead mooring pendants and snubbers.  You would need truly massive weight of the roller frame and bracing on the bow to do that safely. Not the best idea for our thoroughbreds.  Still use our 1” strapped eyebolt in the stem just above the waterline for the anchor pendant and mooring storm safety chain attachment. No chafe and better scope angle.

Cheers
Bill #3

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 11, 2021, at 09:51, Ed S <esi...@gmail.com> wrote:

If I were going to go custom, I have some tweaks to the port side roller, which probably makes it tough to do a group order. I would like the second roller to be longer than the primary on which I hang my anchor, to allow me to run snubbers and mooring lines over it without chaffing on the anchor.

Graeme Nichol

Mar 11, 2021, 12:40:37 PM3/11/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Drawings are a simple thing for Don to recreate and not dealing with a large company is a bonus.

He makes all the replacement rollers, sheaves and sliding door rollers for several catamaran brands because the products being used by the manufacturers are so sub par!
One catamaran manufacturer, tells their clients to contact Don directly...

Graeme
SV Fin

Sail, Relax, Repeat
       ~~~ _/) ~~~

On Mar 11, 2021, at 12:30, Bill Bowers <wfb0...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ed

Ed S

Mar 11, 2021, 1:06:30 PM3/11/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Roger that Bill.  I’ll look into that.

Regards,
Ed

------------------------------------
Ed Sitver
WhatsApp:  +1 303-570-5071
Mobile: +1 303-570-5071

On Mar 11, 2021, at 12:30 PM, Bill Bowers <wfb0...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ed
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dick York

Mar 12, 2021, 10:30:44 AM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes, never lead a snubber over a bow roller!!!

All good J boats have substantial leads and cleats at the bow.  Put your snubber on the chain, secure it to the cleat, ease the chain.  Make sure you are comfortable with the snubber length and have a good sag in the chain.

If you have ever seen what happens to bow rollers after storm-caused side loads you will understand why.

Someday I can tell you about snubbers popping off chains in the tsunami.... but I may need more rum to tell that story.

....Dick York.  J/46 #9, ARAGORN

On Mar 11, 2021, at 13:06, Ed S <esi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Roger that Bill.  I’ll look into that.

Al Goethe

Mar 12, 2021, 10:49:27 AM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
So you run the snubber from the cleat through the chock, Dick? Wouldn’t the side load in one direction chafe straight against the hull?

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe

Joseph Ruzzi

Mar 12, 2021, 10:58:56 AM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
When we bought Spada, it had a nylon rope snubber with a chain hook spliced into the middle of its length.  The PO told us that he used it by hooking onto the anchor chain, then bringing each leg up through the chock to the anchor cleats.

Joe

Dick York

Mar 12, 2021, 11:56:22 AM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Chafe against the hull is minimal.  Nylon is relatively soft if you get a laid line with a good "hand".
Below is Peter Willauer''s J/42C "Eight Bells" at anchor in Croatia.
It shows the proper lead.

 "...get back aboard the boat where everything seems to make better sense."  M. Roye

DSC04898 (3).JPG

Joseph Ruzzi

Mar 12, 2021, 2:02:59 PM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dick,

I'm confused by the pic you posted.   It's a little hard to tell, but the chain looks like it's under tension and passing over the bow roller, as it should.  However, the snubber is routed through a chock,  but it appears slack and going straight down into the water.   If that's the case, I don't see how the snubber is providing any protection from shock-loading.  Shouldn't the snubber be taut, with the chain slack, forming a catenary between the hook and the bow roller?

Joe

Dick York

Bill Bowers

Mar 12, 2021, 7:25:12 PM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Good lesson. We tried and abandoned several chain hooks.  Now use a soft shackle as suggested by the Cuffels on Jarana. Works a treat.

Bill#3

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Keffer

Mar 12, 2021, 7:26:34 PM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's what we do as well. I've had too many chain hooks fall off in a surge.

Anthony Iacono

Mar 12, 2021, 9:12:42 PM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Soft shackle spliced to the snubber, Or looped into a spliced eye at the snubber? What size line for the shackle ?

Sent from my iPhone

Bill Bowers

Mar 12, 2021, 9:30:15 PM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am in Florida so not near the boat. My shackle is looped thru a spliced eye in the snubber. Have lost more than one overboard. I now seize the bight of the shackle loop to the eye of the snubber to keep it captive when open.
I think I used ~1/4 or maybe 5/16 dyneema. Need to exceed the breaking strength of the snubber.

Bill #3

Anthony M Iacono

Mar 12, 2021, 9:54:32 PM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thx Bill

Sent from my iPhone

Ed S

Mar 12, 2021, 10:15:22 PM3/12/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been using rolling hitches without issue, in everything from dead calm to anchored in winds touching 40kts. No issues.

I’ve considered soft shackles, and even built one in a diameter that wouldn’t be too fiddly to pass through my 5/16 chain, but haven’t tried it yet.

Regards,
Ed

------------------------------------
Ed Sitver
WhatsApp:  +1 303-570-5071
Mobile: +1 303-570-5071

On Mar 12, 2021, at 9:54 PM, Anthony M Iacono <to...@shanomet.com> wrote:

Thx Bill

Bill Bowers

Mar 13, 2021, 7:27:29 AM3/13/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rolling hitches make a lot of sense. My shackle is fiddly getting thru the 5/16 HT chain, and the pendant is fixed at ~20' long. With a rolling hitch we will be able to vary the length of the pendant from the stem
eyebolt. Longer pendants are needed as the wind increases.

Cheers,
Bill #3

York.richardw

Mar 13, 2021, 10:11:45 AM3/13/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
The snubber line should always be nylon, preferably 3-strand laid line. You want it to stretch like a rubber band, taking shock loads off the anchor.
Only once in seven years of anchoring has my chain hook fallen off.  You have to make sure there is a big night of chain run out after you put the load on the snubber.
If necessary, you can tie the snubber to the chain with a rolling hitch.   Works well.
Again, load must never come on the chain, but be always on the snubber.  Make sure a big, big sag in the chain.

.... Dick

Brilliant, epidemiologist says: “If 80% of people wore a mask 80% of the time, COVID would go away”
Sent from my iPhone with tiny keys

On Mar 12, 2021, at 21:54, Anthony M Iacono <to...@shanomet.com> wrote:

Thx Bill

Sweet Ruca

Mar 13, 2021, 10:54:22 AM3/13/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
We have a couple of different snubber setups depending on the conditions.

Here is my favorite one. No noise and no chafe, as there is no stretch “on the boat.” It is short enough to stay out of the water, so no slime. Hybrid 3 strand and dyneema with chafe covers.

We also use dyneema soft shackles and heavy dock lines for our “long” double snubber setup (storm or leaving the boat for a bit). Also a medium 8 plait line with a hook as well for those choppier anchorages and to hook on a quick swell bridle.

We would be “in” for the add on roller if it included a small sprit option, but otherwise we find little need for two anchors on the bow all the time.

Dick York

Mar 14, 2021, 4:54:49 PM3/14/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
All-

Trying to make up for the poor photo I posted.  Mea Culpa!

Try this of ARAGORN on the hook in Falmouth Harbour.

CaribAntiguaAragorn (2).jpg

Snubber coming off the starboard side of the bow, lead through chock to good-sized bow cleat.

Chain hanging in a fairly good bight.  If the wind were higher, I would probably have let more chain out to eliminate any chance of the snubber stretching so far that load would come on the chain. Also, I probably have another fathom of snubber I could have let out if needed (with another ease of the chain too).

....Dick

Message has been deleted