Windlass recommendation?

Walter Caldwell

Mar 24, 2021, 6:34:38 PM3/24/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Hi all,
From reading other threads it seems a Lofrans Project 1000 windlass would be a good choice for a J/40?  Thoughts?
 - Walter, J/40 #7

Joseph Ruzzi

Mar 24, 2021, 9:21:33 PM3/24/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
We have a Lofranz Project 1000 on our J/40, Spada.   It seems to have plenty of power for our 44lb Bruce anchor and 150 ft of chain.   The motor never seems to struggle when it's lifting the anchor, just keeps reeling in the chain.  I have to admit though, I've never had it in a situation where it's pulling against a strong wind.   Usually we use the engine to take the strain off the chain as we use the windlass.

Joe

Robert Kowalski

Mar 24, 2021, 10:47:15 PM3/24/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Good rule of thumb you want the windlass to pull 3 times the weight of your anchor and chain so let's say you have a 45lbs anchor and 300 foot of chain thats like 400lbs give or take, times 3 so about 1200lbs. Now if that 1000 means pounds your a little under what I’d be comfortable with.
Bob

Sailing a coarse less traveled
Delightfully typed on a full keyboard on a mac

Owen Harren

Mar 25, 2021, 6:17:47 AM3/25/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Walter,

I'm not sure if cost is a consideration or not but I have a nice used Lewmar that came off my J44 that I am not going to use. If interested let me know.

Owen