Water Incursion

rers...@netscape.net

Jun 19, 2021, 12:39:40 AM6/19/21
to J/4X Owner's Group

The cabin sole discussion included mentions of water getting into the boat, and its inevitable effect on J40/42 floor boards.  Potential leak sources: rudder bearing, fore and aft head lavatory sink drains, and auto-bilge pump siphoning were cited.

The last is probably the sneakiest and most mysterious kind of leak, because the bilge pump outlet hose is quite long and mostly invisible.  It runs from the bilge sump beneath the salon table, up into the forward inside of the galley sink enclosure before heading over the hot water heater and under the fridge, to a water line thru-hull high up in the port side storage bin behind at the aft end of the port settee.

In the middle of this long run is a critical vented loop tucked high up, between the forward side of the galley sink and its plywood enclosure.  Screenshot 2021-06-18 235637.pngThe white plastic anti-siphon vent on top of this loop will degrade and fail eventually.  My J42  hull #65 had two of these loops,  one on the raw water supply to the engine exhaust elbow, just beneath the cockpit floor, and one on the bilge pump outlet line.  Both failed, the exhaust raw water supply first, and most recently the one inside the galley sink enclosure.  The failure of the bilge pump loop may go unnoticed for a long time, because it only leaks when the bilge pump is activated, or when the boats heels hard enough to bring the water line above the level of the galley sink, in which case it could start siphoning sea water back into the boat.

I replaced the exhaust elbow vented loop years ago with a bronze Groco loop, but I see that the replaceable diaphragm valve for the Groco loop has become worth its weight in gold, at $72 a pop.  They do, however, last quite a while...or at least until they don't.

The plastic vent on the bilge loop is a Wilcox Crittenden, which seems no longer to be available, as I can't find it anywhere on line, which is probably just as well.  My spare may have been the last of its kind.

Reed Erskine,
J42 Cayenne #65

Kc Cuffel

Jun 19, 2021, 1:54:34 AM6/19/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
We feel your pain...

Christie DeMichael

Jul 20, 2021, 6:26:26 PM7/20/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
What might be the source of a water leak showing up
1) on the port side of the aft cabin.  I see drips coming out of the ceiling box under the pedestal
2) in the forward head.  It seems damp by the the mast and not the sink side

Bill Bowers

Jul 20, 2021, 6:45:12 PM7/20/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christie

Water comes down inside the mast into the forward shower sump. Expected. Run the sump pump. You also may have a leak in the mast partner gaiter. Ours is curtailed by  a big hose clamp. But towels on a hook by the mast do get wet.

Never had a leak down thru the steering pedestal.  The pedestal itself and bolts thru the cockpit floor may need to be raised and rebedded with butyl tape. Shift the pedestal and countersink the bolt holes in the floor to form a triangle butyl ring per Mainesail.

Hope this helps.

Bill #3

Sent from my iPad