Anybody Added Winches?

Ed S

Mar 10, 2021, 10:03:30 AM3/10/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Hello All,

West Marine is having a two-for-one sale on Lewmar winches, and I’m considering adding winches in the cockpit, on the combing back by the helm somewhere.

I could only find one reference to adding winches (in the old Yahoo group content). It was from Bill Stellin, and there was no content other than attachments that I didn’t download with the Yahoo content, and therefore can’t view.

Has anybody added winches in the cockpit? If so, any gotchyas to be aware of (other than making sure to back and/or build up the mounting area as needed).

Thanks,
Ed

William Stellin

Mar 10, 2021, 1:19:25 PM3/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
You might be referring to cheek turning blocks with stoppers for the main sheet. I have never added winches anywhere nor do I feel anymore are necessary. Some have added winches port and starboard at the base of the mast, but again I don’t think they are needed.
Bill #6

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 10, 2021, at 10:03 AM, Ed S <esi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello All,

Ed S

Mar 10, 2021, 2:29:41 PM3/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

Yes, your post must have been about those locking blocks, which I have already added to the boat, and find they work well. It would be pretty slick to have a couple more winters in the cockpit, however.

Regards,
Ed

------------------------------------
Ed Sitver
WhatsApp:  +1 303-570-5071
Mobile: +1 303-570-5071

On Mar 10, 2021, at 1:19 PM, William Stellin <wste...@hotmail.com> wrote:

 You might be referring to cheek turning blocks with stoppers for the main sheet. I have never added winches anywhere nor do I feel anymore are necessary. Some have added winches port and starboard at the base of the mast, but again I don’t think they are needed.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "J/4X Owner's Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/j4x-owners-group/BLAPR19MB45809CD30863B9723D5E8E94DD919%40BLAPR19MB4580.namprd19.prod.outlook.com.

Joseph Ruzzi

Mar 10, 2021, 2:33:12 PM3/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
J/40 Hull #45, now named Spada, came from TPI with the full racing setup -- a total of 10 winches.  I believe they're the following:
  • Secondary Headsail (cockpit coaming, forward) -- Barient 27
  •  Primary Headsail (cockpit coaming, aft) -- Barient 28+
  • Mainsheet (adjacent to traveler) -- Barient 24
  • Halyard (next to companionway)-- Barient 22
  • Halyard for Spinnaker and Pole) (mast base) -- Barient 22
I rebuilt all of them over the summer.   Wow, that was a ton of work!  The mast base winches aren't used frequently and the lube had become very hard, almost completely locking up the pawls.

Joe

Al Goethe

Mar 10, 2021, 3:37:39 PM3/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have the winches just aft of the mast. I have the main halyard, both spin halyards and the spin pole topping lift on them.  When racing I think that’s a necessity. The cockpit would be totally overcrowded trying to run the spin halyards from there, using the cabin top winches, particularly during a peel.

Sent from my iPhone
Al Goethe

Newt Merrill

Mar 10, 2021, 3:55:16 PM3/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com

Even though no longer an owner can’t resist chiming in---agree completely to usefulness of winches P/S on cabin top aft of mast. We rigged 2 jib halyards to port along with assym tack line when needed and two spin halyards and pole lift to starboard. Main halyard and reefing lines were led to winches on aft end of cabin house—also frequently used these for spin sheet allowing trimming from windward deck. FINESSE (#20)

Joseph Ruzzi

Mar 10, 2021, 4:48:11 PM3/10/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
The way I've rigged Spada's winches/clutches is:

                     Cabintop
Port                                             Starboard
Pole Lift                                   Starboard Jib Halyard
Port Spin halyard                    Starboard Spin Halyard

                Companionway
Port                                             Starboard
Port Jib Halyard                            Outhaul
Main halyard                         Topping Lift (Dutchman)
Reef #2                                         Reef #1

Joe