Leak around steering column - ideas?

Michael Kahn

Jun 9, 2024, 10:24:46 PM (11 days ago) Jun 9
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

After a very intense race on Friday (nice little squall gave us 35kts of breeze. The boat nearly broached), I went out today and noticed water coming into the port lazarette on Kahncorde. After some quick investigation, I have water coming into the boat via the steering column. I’ve attached a video showing what’s happening. This only happens at speed. I’m guessing there’s a gasket in there that needs to be replaced. Has anyone ever done this repair? Any ideas? Hoping I don’t have to haul her to get this work done.

Thanks in advance!

Michael Kahn
Kahncorde

Video.mov

S/V Sweet Ruca

Jun 10, 2024, 1:26:21 AM (11 days ago) Jun 10
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes there is a circular seal there. You could check that the bolts are tight and maybe a bead of 4000 or sika to try to help.

Likely you will need to replace the seal. They are available from PYI. You will need to remove the quadrant and drop the rudder at least out of the top bearing in order to replace it.

Chris Campbell

Jun 10, 2024, 7:25:33 AM (10 days ago) Jun 10
to J/4X Owner's Group
There's a good chance that your J40 is like our J44, and has flax packing in that rudder tube. Or it has lip seals in the same place - either way you can unbolt and lift the top flange in flat water with the boat not moving, and you'll see what's in there (lip seals or flax packing). If it's packing you can replace it and retighten the top flange to pack it, if it's a lip seal then Curtis has it nailed, you will most likely need to replace, but you might be able to provide additional sealing on a temporary basis with some judiciously applied caulk.

Having just been in and around and all about this area I have a photo or two of the flax and where it goes:
IMG_1400.jpeg
IMG_1410.jpeg
You can see "flax tracks" on the surface above the shelf there. Below the shelf is bearing, above the shelf is seal, in the case of our J44 it was flax, and we're of essentially the same vintage as you.

In your video I can see the top flange moving, so it could be as simple as tightening the bolts, also, to re-secure the flax. With rudder packing glands there is no need to worry about the flax overheating, so as long as you don't get too much friction, you can tighten that flange down quite firmly.

Good luck, it's no fun seeing the ocean get to the wrong side of the boat, is it!

Bill Bowers

Jun 10, 2024, 4:48:52 PM (10 days ago) Jun 10
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
The early J42 rudders have a stuffing box with ~ 3/8" square teflon packing laid in as scarf cut rings.    Easily replaced without dropping the rudder just unbolt the top compression plate if tightening the bolts no longer seals the tube.

Bill #3