space for driversaver on J/42 with 3JH2TE

WSC

Feb 20, 2021, 1:37:58 PM2/20/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Searched a few of the lists, but can't find any info.  I'm replacing the running gear on Hull #1 and wanted to add a Driversaver.   But it looks like I am short .5-.75" in order to back the packing nut off enough to maintain the packing gland.    Has anyone done this?  Thinking I could cut back the stern tube a little bit and/or cut off 1/4 of the bronze packing tube.   Seeking wisdom before I do anything too permanent.   Many thanks.
Sean Conner - VIDA J/42 Hull#1.
IMG_1993.jpg

gale...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2021, 2:40:34 PM2/20/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Looking forward to replys on this.
Has anyone investigated or installed the Bruntons SigmaDrive?
Galen

Bernie Coyne

Feb 20, 2021, 6:35:15 PM2/20/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com

On our former J/42 #3, we had a Drivesaver.  We added a PYI dripless seal.  The boat came that way so I am not sure if anything custom had to be done to get everything to fit originally.  But I mention it in case switching to a PYI dripless seal might get you some more room.

Cheers,

Bernie

Mystic Rose J/46 #10

Bernie Coyne

Email: bernie...@outlook.com

Cell/text: 781-789-0762

My mask protects you.

Your mask protects me.

Thank you for wearing your mask.

William Stellin

Feb 20, 2021, 6:50:20 PM2/20/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I personally installed the PYI drip less bearing with no modification necessary. The only issue was separating the shaft from transmission flange. A ton of work.
Bill #6

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 20, 2021, at 6:35 PM, Bernie Coyne <bernie...@outlook.com> wrote:

On our former J/42 #3, we had a Drivesaver.  We added a PYI dripless seal.  The boat came that way so I am not sure if anything custom had to be done to get everything to fit originally.  But I mention it in case switching to a PYI dripless seal might get you some more room.

Cheers,

Bernie

Mystic Rose J/46 #10

Bernie Coyne

Email: bernie...@outlook.com

Cell/text: 781-789-0762

My mask protects you.

Your mask protects me.

Thank you for wearing your mask.

<image001.png>

Searched a few of the lists, but can't find any info.  I'm replacing the running gear on Hull #1 and wanted to add a Driversaver.   But it looks like I am short .5-.75" in order to back the packing nut off enough to maintain the packing gland.    Has anyone done this?  Thinking I could cut back the stern tube a little bit and/or cut off 1/4 of the bronze packing tube.   Seeking wisdom before I do anything too permanent.   Many thanks.

Sean Conner - VIDA J/42 Hull#1.

WSC

Feb 21, 2021, 6:13:10 AM2/21/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Thanks Bill -  I've been so used to maintaining the traditional stuffing box,  but I gave the PSS dripless another looksee and think might be a better direction to go.   Looks like an easy install.  How was the "break in" period and where did you lead the vent hose?
Sean

Bill Bowers

Feb 21, 2021, 8:37:42 AM2/21/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I replaced the SS bellows and carbon rotor  when we replaced all our Nitronic rod rigging two years ago.  The PYI is faultless but the bellows spring does have a rated lifetime.

The vent hose is secured to the outboard corner of the bulkhead in the lazarette just under the deck.

Bill #3

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 21, 2021, at 6:13 AM, 'WSC' via J/4X Owner's Group <j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Thanks Bill -  I've been so used to maintaining the traditional stuffing box,  but I gave the PSS dripless another looksee and think might be a better direction to go.   Looks like an easy install.  How was the "break in" period and where did you lead the vent hose?

Ed S

Feb 21, 2021, 9:03:50 AM2/21/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Just to add to the stuffing box sidetrack on this, Ventus came with a Volvo Penta dripless. No vent. Basically just a molded rubber boot. Very simple and seems to work well.

Ed

William Stellin

Feb 21, 2021, 9:24:59 AM2/21/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don’t remember a break in period, it was a long time ago. The vent hose is directed into the port seat locker and fixed to the bulkhead for the aft head.
My original unit did not come with a vent port and often the surfaces would dry out producing a horrible racket and vibration. Somewhere I learned even sailboats needed the vent. I appealed to the dealer and they sent me a whole new unit which was again a big job getting the shaft out. Without the vent the mating surfaces can and will dry out damaging the carbon one and practically shaking the boat to pieces.
Bill #6

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 21, 2021, at 6:13 AM, 'WSC' via J/4X Owner's Group <j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Thanks Bill -  I've been so used to maintaining the traditional stuffing box,  but I gave the PSS dripless another looksee and think might be a better direction to go.   Looks like an easy install.  How was the "break in" period and where did you lead the vent hose?

Bernie Coyne

Feb 21, 2021, 10:34:58 AM2/21/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com

On our J/46 we have the Volvo seal and I can attest that it is very simple (no vent hose and moving parts) and does not leak…better that drip “less” seals 😊    We replaced it last year after 20 years of trouble free use.

Bernie

J/46 #10 Mystic Rose

Bernie Coyne

Email: bernie...@outlook.com

Cell/text: 781-789-0762

My mask protects you.

Your mask protects me.

Thank you for wearing your mask.

jeffery chale

Feb 21, 2021, 12:59:51 PM2/21/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
For those with the Volvo shaft seal, my experience is that the shaft was machined down to 30mm to accommodate the metric Volvo seal.  PYI could not provide a metric seal of that size (4 years ago now).  I replaced the shaft with standard 1 1/4” and installed the PYI unit.  It has worked perfectly.

Jeff Chale
Vashon, WA
J46 Hygge

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 21, 2021, at 7:34 AM, Bernie Coyne <bernie...@outlook.com> wrote:

On our J/46 we have the Volvo seal and I can attest that it is very simple (no vent hose and moving parts) and does not leak…better that drip “less” seals 😊    We replaced it last year after 20 years of trouble free use.

Bernie

J/46 #10 Mystic Rose

Bernie Coyne

Email: bernie...@outlook.com

Cell/text: 781-789-0762

My mask protects you.

Your mask protects me.

Thank you for wearing your mask.

<image001.png>

rers...@netscape.net

Feb 21, 2021, 5:35:08 PM2/21/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
J Boats wanted to use the Volvo shaft seal, which was incompatible with the 1 1/4" drive shaft so they tapered the transmission end of the propeller shaft down to 30mm to work with the Volvo seal.  This is a pain when replacing the Volvo shaft seal with the PYI Dripless seal, but you don't have to replace the shaft to solve the problem.  You can by the PYI kit with the 1 1/8" stainless steel shaft ring, and machine it from 1.125 up to 1.181 to fit the 30mm portion of the shaft.

Reed Erskine Cayenne  J42  #65

gale...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2021, 2:48:48 PM2/22/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
For those with a Volvo shaft seal just a reminder, they are not maintenance free. They do need to be burped at the end of season and beginning of season if hauled for an extended period, Also, they need to be greased at least every few years. Good buddy had one fail due to lack of grease. Otherwise, the seal has worked well for me. Interesting info about the shaft taper.
Galen
Tango J42

WSC

Feb 27, 2021, 11:10:57 AM2/27/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
So I went ahead installed the PSS Type A Shaft Seal.   It was still pretty tight getting the coupler on, but looking forward to see how this performs.   Just need to snake the vent line somewhere.... thx for the feedback on my post.
Sean Conner
On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 1:37:58 PM UTC-5 WSC wrote:
Message has been deleted

Jay PA

Feb 28, 2021, 7:56:14 PM2/28/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
You should place a prop shaft zinc donut  or hose clamp on the shaft, up against the Shaft Seal rotor (on the inside of the boat).  If you don't, and the set screws on the rotor fail, the rotor can slip forward on the shaft, opening up a gap that will cause a stunning gusher.  Please don't ask me the circumstances in which a fishing fleet captain showed me this!  BTW, per PSS instruction, never re-use the set screws, e.g., if you change the adjustment on the bellows.
Jay
J/42 Cirrus