Track & Slide System on J42

Tom Hildreth

May 13, 2021, 9:09:50 PM5/13/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Anyone have experience on a J42.  Doesn't seem as if there is enough space between the gooseneck attachment weld and the start of the slot to have a smooth installation.  We also plan to do it with the mast up.  Thoughts?

Bill Bowers

May 13, 2021, 9:39:58 PM5/13/21
to j4x-owne...@googlegroups.com
What are you trying to install?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2021, at 9:09 PM, Tom Hildreth <hild...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Anyone have experience on a J42.  Doesn't seem as if there is enough space between the gooseneck attachment weld and the start of the slot to have a smooth installation.  We also plan to do it with the mast up.  Thoughts?

Tom Hildreth

May 14, 2021, 10:02:03 AM5/14/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Sorryfor  my lack of clarity.   It's the Tides Marine    Track and Slide system  www.tidesmarine.com.  TH

gale...@gmail.com

May 22, 2021, 8:58:57 AM5/22/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Yes, I installed the Tides track on two boats. It is critical to follow their instructions as to the location and size of the aluminum or carbon gate or sail track opening in the Hall spar. I recall I had to extend the size of opening up the mast (away from the gooseneck) on my J42 to allow the Tides track to be inserted. A shallow angle of the new track in relation to the opening is critical to an easy insertion. Use lots of Joy soap to lube the track in the mast. I did both insertions with the mast on the ground. If any question, call Tides. They were very helpful.
Galen

WSC

May 27, 2021, 4:28:08 PM5/27/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
We have the Tides track installed - not sure I could live without it.  here is a pic of the "gate" and gooseneck.  4-5" between the two.
Sean C
VIDA, J42 #1

IMG_2110.jpg

gale...@gmail.com

May 27, 2021, 4:40:49 PM5/27/21
to J/4X Owner's Group
Sean is right - can't live with out it.
I think the original question was how to install the track up the mast using the exiting slot in the spar. I had to enlarge mine (up the mast direction)  to slide the track in. Tides directions give great advice here with measurements.
Galen