J2objc builds on Birise

Shavi

Jan 4, 2021, 10:24:40 PM1/4/21
to j2objc-discuss
Hi,

I haven't found any best practices for using J2objC with a CI platform such  as BitRise.

Is there a way build on BitRise or CircleCI without comitting the translated files to version control?

Thanks.

Tom Ball

Jan 5, 2021, 10:49:54 AM1/5/21
to j2objc-discuss
Since j2objc consists of a Java compiler and a set of iOS static libraries and frameworks, it knows nothing about any CI systems (like the JDK and Android SDK don't). I suggest contacting the developer support team for either company and request this integration (don't just assume they aren't interested). Here's some info they might find useful:
  • https://j2objc.org has a big documentation section on how to use it with different systems (you know that, but the developer support team may not).
  • The j2objc compiler has the same core flags as javac: -d, -sourcepath, -classpath, -source, etc. So in theory, j2objc should plug into their system in a similar way as javac does.
  • There are external Gradle and Maven plugin open-source projects, contributed by other j2objc users. These may not work out of the box (check how recently they've been updated), but show how j2objc was configured for those systems.
  • We'll quickly respond to any questions or issues engineers from either of those companies, so they won't waste time.

Shavi

Jan 5, 2021, 11:53:56 PM1/5/21
to j2objc-discuss
Thanks for quick response on this.

Yes, I understand J2ObjC doesn't know anything about CI. I was wondering if there was already some effort made to use J2OBJ within a CI system.
The challenge as I see it is to have a process to the install the pre-built framework files on the build system using a CI system workflow.

This presents a challenge for developers as I would not want to include j2objc framework files in the project repo.
I am hoping to either get a step to support J2objC or put in some work to install j2objc in the CI system by;
  1. Downloading the release asset from github repo
  2. Unzip files to a specific location defined by an enviornment variable
If I manage to get this working I'll provide an example project for future reference.

Tom Ball

Jan 6, 2021, 11:03:52 AM1/6/21
to j2objc-discuss
We used to build on TravisCI publicly using Make. Maybe some other teams on this alias have had success with other CI systems.