[izpack-user] Installer Package Size Limits

David L. Crow

Aug 19, 2011, 7:14:58 PM8/19/11
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
I am trying to create an install image that ends up being quite large.
If I place all my files in the same pack, then I get an error:

[exec] Writing Pack 0: Pack 0 Name
[exec] -> Fatal error :
[exec] invalid entry size
[exec] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid entry size
[exec] at java.util.zip.ZipEntry.setSize(ZipEntry.java:139)
[exec] at
org.apache.tools.zip.ZipOutputStream.closeEntry(ZipOutputStream.java:329)
[exec] at
com.izforge.izpack.compiler.Packager.writePacks(Unknown Source)
[exec] at
com.izforge.izpack.compiler.PackagerBase.writeInstaller(Unknown Source)
[exec] at
com.izforge.izpack.compiler.Packager.createInstaller(Unknown Source)
[exec] at
com.izforge.izpack.compiler.Compiler.createInstaller(Unknown Source)
[exec] at
com.izforge.izpack.compiler.CompilerConfig.executeCompiler(Unknown Source)
[exec] at
com.izforge.izpack.compiler.CompilerConfig.main(Unknown Source)
[exec] at com.izforge.izpack.compiler.Compiler.main(Unknown
Source)
[exec]
[exec] (tip : use -? to get the commmand line parameters)
[exec] Result: 1

I can separate my files into different packs and the packaging works,
but then then jar file is "invalid":

$ java -jar install.jar
Invalid or corrupt jarfile install.jar

I can extract the jar file and then run

$ java com.izforge.izpack.installer.Installer

everything works just fine.

Here is information about the JDK that I am using (64-bit Linux):

java version "1.5.0_22"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_22-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_22-b03, mixed mode)

If I tweak the package contents to see what works and what does not, it
appears that there is a 2 GB restriction somewhere.

Any thoughts as to whether it is really a limitation at 2 GB or what is
imposing that limitation?
--
David L. Crow Texas! It's like a
cr...@OrangeBlood.org whole other country.

Yugesh Gundapaneni

May 1, 2014, 1:23:03 PM5/1/14
to izpac...@googlegroups.com, us...@izpack.codehaus.org, cr...@orangeblood.org
Crow,

were you able to figure out this? Is there really a 2 GB size limit ?

I am running into same problem.

Can you please let me know?

Thanks,
Yugesh

Roger Sproger

Nov 22, 2016, 3:37:51 PM11/22/16
to izpack-user, us...@izpack.codehaus.org, cr...@orangeblood.org
Same here, any solution to this?

Ron Wheeler

Nov 22, 2016, 3:59:59 PM11/22/16
to izpac...@googlegroups.com
Am I reading your  output of  java version "1.5.0_22" correctly and you are actually trying to use Java 5?
It is over 12 years old and maintenance stopped in 2009.

https://blogs.oracle.com/xuemingshen/entry/zip64_support_for_4g_zipfile seems to show that the jar file size limit was upgraded in Java7 in 2009.

Do you get the same error on the Java 8 run-time?

You can run multiple versions of java if you really need to keep java 5 around for other reasons.

Ron

René Krell

Nov 22, 2016, 4:16:50 PM11/22/16
to izpack-user
Ron is probably right with updating the JRE.

In addition, you probably run into one of the following or related issues:
You probably won't even find a freely available version of 1.5.0 (tiger) which fixed this.
I recommend to update at least to the latest JRE 6 (1.6.0_45, also out of support), or better the latest JRE 8 for installing.

René