[izpack-announce] Important - Codehaus services will be terminated already this week - migration

René Krell

May 14, 2015, 11:01:08 AM5/14/15
to IzPack developer mailings, us...@izpack.codehaus.org, anno...@izpack.codehaus.org
Hi all out there,

Some of you have probably noticed before I did - all Codehaus services get definitely terminated forever this sunday, 17th of May 2015. See http://www.codehaus.org/.

This means we have to migrate as soon as possible the following services:
- JIRA (to JIRA or another issue tracker)
- Confluence (to Confluence or some other Wiki)
- Continous integration and release tooling (Cloudbees and Travis already connected to Github, not sure about releases and a repository manager)
- Mailing lists (if there are some)

Fortunately, the source code is already hosted a long time at Github and has been just synchronized with Codehaus GIT after releases. This means the source code is definitely saved.
Also the website sources of izpack.org are hosted at Github.

My favourites for the future development platform are Github and BitBucket. BitBucket has two pros - they are sponsored by Atlassian and provide JIRA and Confluence again, maybe a chance to reimport the data exported from Codehaus 1:1 instead of a painful migration to Github issues and markdown. Nevertheless, we have our developer base at Github and contributors are used to send Github pull requests, so If there would be a chance to migrate the documentation (Confluence) and issues (JIRA) to Github we would be fine.

Unfortunately, for the above reasons, I got to postpone the release of 5.0 RC5 a few days again.
Any help appreciated with migrating, especially of the documentation.
I have bulk-exported all JIRA issues and Confluence in the available formats locally.

Also these mailinglists won't probably work any longer after sunday this week.
For communication after this date or from now you can still use IzPack's Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/+izpack/

Don't worry - the IzPack project will definitely continue!

René

René Krell

May 14, 2015, 11:38:17 AM5/14/15
to IzPack developer mailings, us...@izpack.codehaus.org, anno...@izpack.codehaus.org
@Ron: In case we will decide to migrate completely to Github, which is the most probable choice, we need to convert the pages exported from Confluence in some format to the markdown format there. I haven't found any import tool at Github to get something imported at once, which is the worst case - inserting each single page in the given hierarchy and fixing the links. I will continue to figure out a more efficient way, maybe one will know.

The same pain can be expected for the bug tracker.

That's what I meant, this will be cross tool conversion, unfortunately.

There is still an open choice for the BitBucket platform, but even there we'd probably need some administrator help to do a bulk import.
By default they use markdown in Confluence also from what I have seen after a quick check.

Unfortunately, there is no conversion tool offered by anyone like this was the case for the recent termination of Google Code.

Will investigate further...

What needs to be done to the docs?

Ron
--
Ron Wheeler
President

Julien Ponge

May 15, 2015, 10:29:32 AM5/15/15
to d...@izpack.codehaus.org, us...@izpack.codehaus.org, anno...@izpack.codehaus.org

Hi folks,

Although I am no longer involved in IzPack apart from owning izpack.org, I have 3 things to say:

  1. The Codehaus shutdown and the communication around it is disastrous. Some people knew (I did), many didn’t.
  2. GitHub is probably the easiest choice for you folks. Of course migrating the documentation is not a simple thing, but it is doable. To publish releases you can gain access to Sonatype/OSS and push to Maven Central. You could alternatively use Bintray (and push to Sonatype/OSS via Bintray).
  3. Someone mentioned an incubation at Apache. That is a good option if you folks can build a first group willing to go through the processes and push IzPack there. You could maybe find some fresh air there, and expand the developers team again.

All the best!

-Julien