Taking Care of Widows and Orphans

Brother Bob...<><

Jun 27, 2007, 1:36:00 AM6/27/07
to ixtheus-devot...@googlegroups.com

VERSES ABOUT WIDOWS AND ORPHANS

(Job 22:5-10 KJV)  Is not thy wickedness great? and thine iniquities infinite? {6} For thou hast taken a pledge from thy brother for nought, and stripped the naked of their clothing. {7} Thou hast not given water to the weary to drink, and thou hast withholden bread from the hungry. {8} But as for the mighty man, he had the earth; and the honourable man dwelt in it. {9} Thou hast sent widows away empty, and the arms of the fatherless have been broken. {10} Therefore snares are round about thee, and sudden fear troubleth thee;

(Psa 68:4-6 KJV)  Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. {5} A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows, is God in his holy habitation. {6} God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.

(Isa 10:1-4 KJV)  Woe unto them that decree unrighteous decrees, and that write grievousness which they have prescribed; {2} To turn aside the needy from judgment, and to take away the right from the poor of my people, that widows may be their prey, and that they may rob the fatherless! {3} And what will ye do in the day of visitation, and in the desolation which shall come from far? to whom will ye flee for help? and where will ye leave your glory? {4} Without me they shall bow down under the prisoners, and they shall fall under the slain. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.

(Lam 5:1-10 KJV)  Remember, O LORD, what is come upon us: consider, and behold our reproach. {2} Our inheritance is turned to strangers, our houses to aliens. {3} We are orphans and fatherless, our mothers are as widows. {4} We have drunken our water for money; our wood is sold unto us. {5} Our necks are under persecution: we labour, and have no rest. {6} We have given the hand to the Egyptians, and to the Assyrians, to be satisfied with bread. {7} Our fathers have sinned, and are not; and we have borne their iniquities. {8} Servants have ruled over us: there is none that doth deliver us out of their hand. {9} We gat our bread with the peril of our lives because of the sword of the wilderness. {10} Our skin was black like an oven because of the terrible famine.

(Ezek 22:29-31 KJV)  The people of the land have used oppression, and exercised robbery, and have vexed the poor and needy: yea, they have oppressed the stranger wrongfully. {30} And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none. {31} Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord GOD.

(Mat 23:14 KJV)  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

(Mark 12:38-40 KJV)  And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces, {39} And the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts: {40} Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.

(Acts 6:1-7 KJV)  And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration. {2} Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables. {3} Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. {4} But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word. {5} And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch: {6} Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them. {7} And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

(Acts 9:39 KJV)  Then Peter arose and went with them. When he was come, they brought him into the upper chamber: and all the widows stood by him weeping, and showing the coats and garments which Dorcas made, while she was with them.

(1 Tim 5:3-16 KJV)  Honour widows that are widows indeed. {4} But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to show piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God. {5} Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day. {6} But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth. {7} And these things give in charge, that they may be blameless. {8} But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. {9} Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man, {10} Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work. {11} But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry; {12} Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith. {13} And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not. {14} I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully. {15} For some are already turned aside after Satan. {16} If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.

(James 1:27 KJV)  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

(Job 29:11-14 KJV)  When the ear heard me, then it blessed me; and when the eye saw me, it gave witness to me: {12} Because I delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless, and him that had none to help him. {13} The blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon me: and I caused the widow's heart to sing for joy. {14} I put on righteousness, and it clothed me: my judgment was as a robe and a diadem.

(Job 31:16-23 KJV)  If I have withheld the poor from their desire, or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail; {17} Or have eaten my morsel myself alone, and the fatherless hath not eaten thereof; {18} (For from my youth he was brought up with me, as with a father, and I have guided her from my mother's womb;) {19} If I have seen any perish for want of clothing, or any poor without covering; {20} If his loins have not blessed me, and if he were not warmed with the fleece of my sheep; {21} If I have lifted up my hand against the fatherless, when I saw my help in the gate: {22} Then let mine arm fall from my shoulder blade, and mine arm be broken from the bone. {23} For destruction from God was a terror to me, and by reason of his highness I could not endure.

(Psa 68:4-6 KJV)  Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. {5} A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows, is God in his holy habitation. {6} God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.

(Isa 1:16-17 KJV)  Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; {17} Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

(Isa 58:4-11 KJV)  Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high. {5} Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD? {6} Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? {7} Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? {8} Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward. {9} Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity; {10} And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noon day: {11} And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.

(Mat 25:33-46 KJV)  And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. {34} Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: {35} For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: {36} Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. {37} Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? {38} When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? {39} Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? {40} And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. {41} Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: {42} For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: {43} I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. {44} Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? {45} Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. {46} And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

(Gal 6:9-10 KJV)  And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. {10} As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

(1 John 3:17-23 KJV)  But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? {18} My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. {19} And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. {20} For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. {21} Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. {22} And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. {23} And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

(Exo 22:22-24 KJV)  Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. {23} If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry; {24} And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

(Deu 10:17-19 KJV)  For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward: {18} He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment. {19} Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

VERSES REGARDING THE "FATHERLESS" (ORPHANS)

(Exo 22:22 KJV)  Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child.

(Exo 22:24 KJV)  And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

(Deu 10:18 KJV)  He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment.

(Deu 14:29 KJV)  And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

(Deu 16:11 KJV)  And thou shalt rejoice before the LORD thy God, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, and thy manservant, and thy maidservant, and the Levite that is within thy gates, and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, that are among you, in the place which the LORD thy God hath chosen to place his name there.

(Deu 16:14 KJV)  And thou shalt rejoice in thy feast, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, and thy manservant, and thy maidservant, and the Levite, the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, that are within thy gates.

(Deu 24:17 KJV)  Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge:

(Deu 24:19-21 KJV)  When thou cuttest down thine harvest in thy field, and hast forgot a sheaf in the field, thou shalt not go again to fetch it: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hands. {20} When thou beatest thine olive tree, thou shalt not go over the boughs again: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow. {21} When thou gatherest the grapes of thy vineyard, thou shalt not glean it afterward: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow.

(Deu 26:12-13 KJV)  When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled; {13} Then thou shalt say before the LORD thy God, I have brought away the hallowed things out of mine house, and also have given them unto the Levite, and unto the stranger, to the fatherless, and to the widow, according to all thy commandments which thou hast commanded me: I have not transgressed thy commandments, neither have I forgotten them:

(Deu 27:19 KJV)  Cursed be he that perverteth the judgment of the stranger, fatherless, and widow. And all the people shall say, Amen.

(Job 6:27 KJV)  Yea, ye overwhelm the fatherless, and ye dig a pit for your friend.

(Job 22:9 KJV)  Thou hast sent widows away empty, and the arms of the fatherless have been broken.

(Job 24:3 KJV)  They drive away the ass of the fatherless, they take the widow's ox for a pledge.

(Job 24:9 KJV)  They pluck the fatherless from the breast, and take a pledge of the poor.

(Job 29:12 KJV)  Because I delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless, and him that had none to help him.

(Job 31:17 KJV)  Or have eaten my morsel myself alone, and the fatherless hath not eaten thereof;

(Job 31:21 KJV)  If I have lifted up my hand against the fatherless, when I saw my help in the gate:

(Psa 10:14 KJV)  Thou hast seen it: for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless.

(Psa 10:18 KJV)  To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.

(Psa 68:5 KJV)  A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows, is God in his holy habitation.

(Psa 82:3 KJV)  Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

(Psa 94:6 KJV)  They slay the widow and the stranger, and murder the fatherless.

(Psa 109:9 KJV)  Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.

(Psa 109:12 KJV)  Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favour his fatherless children.

(Psa 146:9 KJV)  The LORD preserveth the strangers; he relieveth the fatherless and widow: but the way of the wicked he turneth upside down.

(Prov 23:10 KJV)  Remove not the old landmark; and enter not into the fields of the fatherless:

(Isa 1:17 KJV)  Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

(Isa 1:23 KJV)  Thy princes are rebellious, and companions of thieves: every one loveth gifts, and followeth after rewards: they judge not the fatherless, neither doth the cause of the widow come unto them.

(Isa 9:17 KJV)  Therefore the Lord shall have no joy in their young men, neither shall have mercy on their fatherless and widows: for every one is an hypocrite and an evildoer, and every mouth speaketh folly. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.

(Isa 10:2 KJV)  To turn aside the needy from judgment, and to take away the right from the poor of my people, that widows may be their prey, and that they may rob the fatherless!

(Jer 5:28 KJV)  They are waxen fat, they shine: yea, they overpass the deeds of the wicked: they judge not the cause, the cause of the fatherless, yet they prosper; and the right of the needy do they not judge.

(Jer 7:6 KJV)  If ye oppress not the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, and shed not innocent blood in this place, neither walk after other gods to your hurt:

(Jer 22:3 KJV)  Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness, and deliver the spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor: and do no wrong, do no violence to the stranger, the fatherless, nor the widow, neither shed innocent blood in this place.

(Jer 49:11 KJV)  Leave thy fatherless children, I will preserve them alive; and let thy widows trust in me.

(Lam 5:3 KJV)  We are orphans and fatherless, our mothers are as widows.

(Ezek 22:7 KJV)  In thee have they set light by father and mother: in the midst of thee have they dealt by oppression with the stranger: in thee have they vexed the fatherless and the widow.

(Hosea 14:3 KJV)  Asshur shall not save us; we will not ride upon horses: neither will we say any more to the work of our hands, Ye are our gods: for in thee the fatherless findeth mercy.

(Zec 7:10 KJV)  And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.

(Mal 3:5 KJV)  And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.

(James 1:27 KJV)  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Blank Bkgrd.gif