Unselfish Love

Brother Bob...<><

Jun 27, 2007, 1:58:06 AM6/27/07
to ixtheus-devot...@googlegroups.com

Unselfish Love
author unknown

John 15:13 KJV
Greater love hath no man than this,
that a man lay down his life for his friends.

At a recent Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash.

At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win. All, that is, except one little boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times, and began to cry. The other eight heard the boy cry. They slowed down and looked back.  Then they all turned around and went back...every one of them.  One girl with Down's Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said,"This will make it better." Then all nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line. Everyone in the stadium stood, and the cheering went on for several minutes.

People who were there are still telling the story.  Why?  Because deep down we know this one thing: What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves.  What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course, and giving of ourselves for others.

Bible Verses to Ponder

1 John 3:16-19 (KJV)
 Hereby perceive we the love of God,
because He laid down his life for us:
and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
{17} But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need,
and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him,
 how dwelleth the love of God in him?
{18} My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue;
but in deed and in truth.
{19} And hereby we know that we are of the truth,
and shall assure our hearts before him.

1 Cor 13 (KJV)
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels,
and have not charity{Grk=affectionate generousity, unselfish love},
I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
{2} And though I have the gift of prophecy,
and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge;
 and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains,
and have not charity, I am nothing.
 {3} And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor,
and though I give my body to be burned,
and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

 {4} Charity suffereth long, and is kind;
charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
{5} Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own,
is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
 {6} Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
 {7} Beareth all things, believeth all things,
hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 {8} Charity never faileth:
but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail;
whether there be tongues, they shall cease;
whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

 {9} For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
{10} But when that which is perfect is come,
then that which is in part shall be done away.
{11} When I was a child, I spake as a child,
I understood as a child, I thought as a child:
but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
 {12} For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face:
now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
{13} And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three;
 but the greatest of these is charity.

John 15:8-14 (KJV)
 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit;
so shall ye be my disciples.
{9} As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you:
continue ye in my love{Grk=affectionate generousity, unselfish love}.
{10} If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love;
even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
{11} These things have I spoken unto you,
that my joy might remain in you,
and that your joy might be full.
{12} This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
 {13} Greater love hath no man than this,
that a man lay down his life for his friends.
{14} Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

John 10:9-15 (KJV)
 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved,
 and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
 {10} The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy:
I am come that they might have life,
and that they might have it more abundantly.
{11} I am the good shepherd:
the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
{12} But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd,
 whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming,
and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth:
and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
 {13} The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling,
and careth not for the sheep.
{14} I am the good shepherd,
and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
{15} As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father:
 and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Rom 5:1-12 (KJV)
Therefore being justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
{2} By whom also we have access by faith into this grace
wherein we stand,
and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
 {3} And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also:
knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
{4} And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
{5} And hope maketh not ashamed;
 because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts
by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

 {6} For when we were yet without strength,
in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
 {7} For scarcely for a righteous man will one die:
yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
{8} But God commendeth his love toward us,
in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

 {9} Much more then, being now justified by his blood,
 we shall be saved from wrath through him.
{10} For if, when we were enemies,
we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son,
much more, being reconciled,
 we shall be saved by his life.
 {11} And not only so,
but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
 by whom we have now received the atonement.
{12} Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world,
and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men,
for that all have sinned:

Eph 4:29-32 (KJV)
 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth,
but that which is good to the use of edifying,
that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
{30} And grieve not the holy Spirit of God,
whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
{31} Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking,
be put away from you, with all malice:
{32} And be ye kind one to another,
tenderhearted, forgiving one another,
even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
{Eph 5:1} Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
{2} And walk in love,
as Christ also hath loved us,
and hath given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God
 for a sweetsmelling savour.

IXTHEUS CHRISTIAN GROWTH DEVOTIONALS
ALWAYS FREE OF CHARGE
(but not necessarily  free of COST)
Feel free to redistribute these materials to whomever you want...
Be careful to observe copyright information where appropriate...
Please submit all questions, comments, suggestions, or requests for subscriptions to

Request a free email copy of my evangelistic presentation:
"The God Who is Really There"

to unsubscribe  from  these devotionals,
type the word "cancel" in the subject line of the message.
and send a "reply to author" from your email software.
God Bless You.....brother bob.......<><