The Godhead (Part 3)

1 view

Brother Bob...<><

Jun 27, 2007, 1:37:26 AM6/27/07
to ixtheus-devot...@googlegroups.com

  The Godhead (Part 3)

The Holy Spirit was also present and active at the time of creation. The role of the Spirit at different times seems to have been that of creating order and system(Gen. 1: 2).
(Gen 1:1-2 KJV)
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
 {2} And the earth was without form, and void;
and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The Holy Spirit came upon men in the Old Testament and gave them gifts of artistry and craftsmenship:

(Exo 35:30-35 KJV)
 And Moses said unto the children of Israel,
See, the LORD hath called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah;
 {31} And he hath filled him with the spirit of God,
in wisdom, in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship;
 {32} And to devise curious works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass,
 {33} And in the cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of wood, to make any manner of cunning work.
{34} And he hath put in his heart that he may teach,
both he, and Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan.
 {35} Them hath he filled with wisdom of heart, to work all manner of work,
 of the engraver, and of the cunning workman,
and of the embroiderer, in blue, and in purple, in scarlet, and in fine linen, and of the weaver,
 even of them that do any work, and of those that devise cunning work.

The Holy Spirit came upon King Saul and caused him to become a new man and to prophesy:

(1 Sam 10:5-7 KJV)
 After that thou shalt come to the hill of God, where is the garrison of the Philistines:
 and it shall come to pass, when thou art come thither to the city,
that thou shalt meet a company of prophets coming down from the high place
with a psaltery, and a tabret, and a pipe, and a harp, before them;
and they shall prophesy:
{6} And the spirit of the LORD will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them,
and shalt be turned into another man.
 {7} And let it be, when these signs are come unto thee,
 that thou do as occasion serve thee;
 for God is with thee.

The Holy Spirit came upon Mary and caused her to conceive the Lord Jesus Christ.

(Luke 1:30-35 KJV)
 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
{31} And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
{32} He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest:
and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
 {33} And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever;
and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
 {34} Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
{35} And the angel answered and said unto her,
The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee:
therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

The Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus at His Baptism, and with the Voice of the Father demonstrated the Trinity relationship of the Godhead.

(Mat 3:16-17 KJV)
And Jesus, when he was baptized,
went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him,
and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
{17} And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
(Mat 4:1 KJV)  Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

The Holy Spirit acts in the Regeneration of a sinner to make him/her  a "born again" child of God.

(John 3:3-8 KJV)
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee,
 Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
 {4} Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old?
can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
{5} Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee,
Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
 {6} That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
{7} Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
 {8} The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof,
but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth:
 so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

The Holy Spirit ministers to us during times of witnessing, especially when under persecution:

(Mat 10:16-20 KJV)
 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves:
be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
{17} But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;
{18} And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.
 {19} But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak:
for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.
{20} For it is not ye that speak,
 but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

After Christ returned to Heaven at His Ascension, The Holy Spirit was given to indwell the believer forever. In John 16:17, the emphasis is on Christ's going away and the Holy Spirit's being sent by the Father to replace our Lord Himself. This change, Jesus said, would be beneficial for His disciples. An impersonal force could hardly improve on the personal presence of Jesus Christ. The Spirit is presented as on the same level of Jesus. {"Another" here is  allos, "another of the same sort,"in Greek   (Jn. 14: 16). The other greek word for other, heteros, means "another of a different sort" as in Matt 6:24 "hate the one and love the OTHER=heteros}

(John 14:16-20 KJV)
 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
{17} Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive,
 because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him:
but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
{18} I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
{19} Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more;
but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
{20} At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

 Repeatedly (John 16:7-15), Jesus used the masculine personal pronoun "He" when referring to the Spirit. As we have pointed out, the Greek word translated "spirit" is the same as that for "breath," and is neuter in gender. Jesus used the masculine pronoun deliberately, intending it to indicate personality and intimacy.

(John 16:7-15 KJV)
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away:
 for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
{8} And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
 {9} Of sin, because they believe not on me;
{10} Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
{11} Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
 {12} I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
{13} Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: f
or he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak:
and he will show you things to come.
{14} He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you.
{15} All things that the Father hath are mine: t
herefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it unto you.

 Though the Holy Spirit is mentioned in the Great Commision and baptismal formula. The Lord told the disciples,

(Mat 28:18-20 KJV)
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying,
All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
{19} Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
 baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
{20} Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:
and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Association of the Holy Spirit with the other two Persons of the Trinity also appears in 1 Peter 1:1, 2 and in Jude 20, 21.

(1 Pet 1:2-5 KJV)
Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father,
 through sanctification of the Spirit,
unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ:
Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
{3} Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
which according to his abundant mercy
hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
{4} To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
{5} Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation
ready to be revealed in the last time.

(Jude 1:20-21 KJV)
 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith,
 praying in the Holy Ghost,
 {21} Keep yourselves in the love of God,
looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

 The Holy Spirit is treated as a person. Ananias was struck dead for lying to the Holy Spirit (Acts 5:3).

(Acts 5:1-5 KJV)
 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
{2} And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it,
and brought a certain part, and laid it, at the apostles' feet.
{3} But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost,
and to keep back part of the price of the land?
{4} Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power?
why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart?
thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
{5} And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost:
 and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

The Spirit may be grieved (Eph. 4:30)
(Eph 4:21-30 KJV)
 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
{22} That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man,
 which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
 {23} And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
 {24} And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
 {25} Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour:
for we are members one of another.
{26} Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
{27} Neither give place to the devil.
 {28} Let him that stole steal no more:
but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good,
 that he may have to give to him that needeth.
{29} Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth,
but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
{30} And grieve not the holy Spirit of God,
whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

The Holy Spirit may be sinned against by unforgivable blasphemy (Mark 3:29). None of these things would be true of an impersonal force.

(Mark 3:28-30 KJV)
 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men,
and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
{29} But he that shall blaspheme{Grk=speak evil of} against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness,
but is in danger of eternal damnation:
{30} Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

 The Holy Spirit does things which only a person could do.

He speaks:

(Acts 8:26-29 KJV)
And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying,
 Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
{27} And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia,
an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians,
 who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
{28} Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
{29} Then the Spirit said unto Philip,
 Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

He strives:
(Gen 6:3a KJV)
 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man,
 for that he also is flesh:

He helps us in our infirmities, interceding for us,

(Rom 8:26-28 KJV)
  Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities:
for we know not what we should pray for as we ought:
 but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us
with groanings which cannot be uttered.
{27} And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit,
because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
{28} And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God,
to them who are the called according to his purpose.

He reveals, searches, and knows:  (1 Cor. 2:10, 11).

(1 Cor 2:9-16 KJV)
 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man,
the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
{10} But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit:
for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
{11} For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him?
 even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
{12} Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God;
 that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
{13} Which things also we speak,
not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth;
comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
{14} But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:
for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
{15} But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
{16} For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him?
But we have the mind of Christ.

 He distributes spiritual gifts "to every man severally as He will" (1 Cor. 12:11).

(1 Cor 12:3-11 KJV)
 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed:
and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
{4} Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
{5} And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
{6} And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
{7} But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
{8} For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom;
to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
{9} To another faith by the same Spirit;
to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
{10} To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits;
to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
{11} But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit,
dividing to every man severally as he will.

None of these verbs could rightly be used of a mere influence. The Holy Spirit also shares the common and essential nature and traits of deity, as we shall see in Part 4.

God Bless you as you ponder these things.
In Christ..brother bob...<><

IXTHEUS CHRISTIAN GROWTH DEVOTIONALS
ALWAYS FREE OF CHARGE
(but not necessarily  free of COST)
Feel free to redistribute these materials to whomever you want.
Please submit all questions, comments, suggestions,
or REQUESTS FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS to

Request a free email copy of my evangelistic presentation:
"The God Who is Really There" from  ixt...@execpc.com

to unsubscribe  from  these devotionals,
send an email with CANCEL in the subject line to ixt...@execpc.com
God Bless You.....brother bob.......<><
Blank Bkgrd.gif