Monitoring Linux - Debian

radovan.sninsky

Nov 23, 2009, 4:49:52 PM11/23/09
to IxoraRMS
Hello Daniel,

I found you product after your announcment at theserverside.com and I
have to say, it really impress me. I've started to play with console
but I've found some problem monitoring my linux test server based on
latest Debian distro. Linux agent is set to RedHat9. Then, followin
errorwas logged:
21:44:14,968 ERROR AppFrame 78 - 192.168.1.103/Linux
com.ixora.rms.exception.ProviderError: Provider Process data attached
to this agent failed with the following error: Cannot run program
"ps": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
at
com.ixora.rms.agents.providers.AgentShadow.handleProviderStateChanged
(AgentShadow.java:465)
at com.ixora.rms.agents.providers.AgentShadow.access$2
(AgentShadow.java:459)
at com.ixora.rms.agents.providers.AgentShadow
$EventHandler.providerStateChanged(AgentShadow.java:144)
at com.ixora.rms.providers.ProvidersManager.fireProviderStateChanged
(ProvidersManager.java:296)
at com.ixora.rms.providers.ProvidersManager.access$7
(ProvidersManager.java:292)
at com.ixora.rms.providers.ProvidersManager$1.run
(ProvidersManager.java:282)
at com.ixora.common.thread.RunQueue.processQueue(RunQueue.java:95)
at com.ixora.common.thread.RunQueue.access$0(RunQueue.java:86)
at com.ixora.common.thread.RunQueue$1.run(RunQueue.java:37)

Becouse I'm developer in java and your suggestion "Along with Oracle
and other Unix agents it is a good example for creating your own
custom monitoring data providers." I thought that maybe I can find the
problem and fiddle with source code little I will solve it a make
available patch for new distro. But truth is I can't. I can't even
find sorce class where the output from unix commands are processed.

Could you provide more info to linux agent source code. How it is
organized. Where are providers for agent.

I'm also interested in monitoring new version of JBoss Application
Server 5.0, but I didn't make any investigation in it so far.

br,
Rado

DanielM

Nov 23, 2009, 5:40:36 PM11/23/09
to IxoraRMS
Hi Rado,
It looks like the ps utility is not available (doesn't exist or
permission problems) on your system.
You don't need to change code for this type of agent.
You can access the providers for the Linux agent by going to Tools >
Provider Manager. In the Provider Instance Manager dialog, select the
Linux agent. You should now see the list of all available providers
for this agent. If you want to see the command that is executed for a
particular provider, select it and click on Edit. This opens the
Provider Instance Editor. In the Provider tab you have the Command
text.
In you case it looks like it's the Process Data provider and the
Command is
ps -eo fname,pid,pcpu,pmem,size,rss,user,stat,vsize
See if you can execute it from the command line.

The topic of process providers is covered in more detail in here:
http://www.ixorarms.com/documentation/user-guide/custom-monitoring#TOC-Process-specific-options

For JBoss 5.0 you can use the JMX JSR160 agent. See this entry in the
FAQ: http://www.ixorarms.com/faq#5

Regards,
Daniel