iv update

Puneet S. Arora

Jul 11, 2008, 8:12:26 PM7/11/08
to iv-m...@googlegroups.com, iv-w...@googlegroups.com, iv-phy...@googlegroups.com, iv...@yahoogroups.com, michi...@googlegroups.com, ivnew...@googlegroups.com, tex...@yahoogroups.com

Hello,

We have received an update that is sensitive. Please do not post this information on the forum- there are many watching us there that do not support our goals. Read on:

We had a brief discussion with the key and major sponsors for the high skilled immigration bills.  The news are not good.  We were told that Congresswomen Lofgren had few meetings with Congressman Lamar Smith.  Both are agreeing that there is a problem with the legal immigration systems and needs to be addressed; however, the approach they both want is different.

What has happened in the past few weeks:
  • Mr. Smith is not interested in recapturing the unused visas.  According to him, there is no thing like unused visas since all the visas are is going to different categories.  In other words there is no left over because of delay in processing.  He agrees that it is unfair to legal immigrants because the backlog is created due to inefficiency of USCIS.  To address the backlog, according to Mr. Smith, 50 percent of the visa available to different categories (eg. Family) should go to the employment base at this time.  (We have no idea how he will do that though.)
  • For Skill bill, Mr. Smith wants to give Green Card to those with PHD's and BS and MS should not be considered.  Rest of them should stand in line.
  • For Military bill which will allow the family of those serving in Iraq to adjust their status; Mr. Smith is not happy with that bill.  Mr. Smith is saying that we should give them some kind of temporary status and not Green Card until their spouse are serving in Iraq.
  • Lofgren's office is little frustrated because they are not getting any commitment from Smith's office on any of her bills.  Smith's office are neither saying no nor yes.  They are having go slow attitude.
What will happen in the next few weeks:
  • We are told that Congresswoman Lofgren is going to bring one bill on the floor.  She has not decided which one.  The chances are high that it will be a noncontroversial bill such as the Military bill.
  • IV is pushing for two bills one Military and one high skilled bill.  At this time we are going back and forth on negotiation.  If our bills is brought for markup and on the floor then we will need everyone to visit the Republican lawmakers offices in DC for their support.
  • We will keep you posted on that.