IV New Mexico: I have not received an update yet from IV on Omnibus proposal

pansworld

Dec 19, 2007, 12:36:17 AM12/19/07
to ivnewmexico
I will send it out as soon as I get it.

Cheers
Pankaj

Puneet S. Arora

Dec 19, 2007, 12:37:53 AM12/19/07
to ivnew...@googlegroups.com

i just posted it directly on the web site but it refuses to show up???
any way here it is again:

Update for chapter leaders and chapter members:

Lawmakers have failed to provide relief to our community in the
Omnibus bill. We put a lot of effort in Omnibus in DC and Omnibus was
our best shot for 2007, since its a mop-up bill. It was an almost done
deal, with good support from lawmakers. The bill was finalized this
weekend and they decided to not include any immigration provisions.
This was due to the pressure from Legislators who are pro-CIR and
against smaller piece-by-piece approach to immigration.. Due to our
effort and support from several offices we felt it was a good shot, we
took aim, worked hard and narrowly missed. Omnibus will be done by
this Thursday.

Your support is highly appreciated and the core team is truly
encouraged and motivated by dedicated support and prompt response to
contributions request. Next year too, the efforts on appropriations
bill will be continued by us. AC21 passed during Presidential election
year in 2000. Things do happen even during election years as long as
they are done with certain strategy. We have already laid a good
foundation for our future efforts and we have to try to aim for a
legislative relief as early as possible next year. Our champions in
Senate as well as house are prepared to help us in any bill that
allows relief for us. Our task is to get support from more lawmakers
so that we have more chances of success in negotiations and
compromises. The coming months will tell us if the bill will be a
stand alone bill or our provisions will be a rider to a bill. April
H1B filing rush will be another reason why legal immigration may
become a hot topic again and will give enough reason to fix before the
April rush happens.

We are also planning a big campaign for next month that will help us
with the administrative fixes. In the last 2 weeks we have had 2
communications with administration officials and we have communicated
the pain of our community due to the January visa bulletin to the
highest powers that will be taking decisions on Administrative fixes.
The January visa bulletin was a compelling case for us when we
discussed how badly we need an administrative fix. This has helped
start the wheels moving and discussions are taking place on provisions
we discussed on Nov 14 this year. Please stay tuned regarding the
announcement and plans for this campaign.

Immigrationvoice thanks its members for their continued support and we
will continue to push harder. We all need to channel our frustrations
and energy to this effort and stay focused. Our cause is just, our
pain is real and we will succeed.

IV Team
--
Puneet S. Arora MBBS MS FACE