general update on iv activities

Puneet S. Arora

Mar 20, 2008, 1:01:30 PM3/20/08
to iv-m...@googlegroups.com, iv-phy...@googlegroups.com, iv...@googlegroups.com, iv-w...@googlegroups.com, iv...@yahoogroups.com, ivnew...@googlegroups.com, mailp...@gmail.com, ivtristate...@googlegroups.com

Dear friends,

As you know, the legislative environment in congress remains generally hostile for immigration, especially with the elections approaching. However a series of recent events/actions have taken place and I would like to update you on these.

1. Administrative changes: A campaign by iv for administrative changes brought more than 5,000 letters to the White House- an unfortunate number if you consider the membership of iv. However, the letters combined with lobbying and meetings with administrative officials are having some effect. We continue to hear of a package of changes being considered actively and lately USCIS has given some signals about the possible extension of EAD/AP durations.

2. A lobby day is being planned in DC on April 22, 2008 to push for these and other changes and in support of legislation favorable to us. We need the community to participate in good numbers. Please discuss this within your chapters. If you cannot make it, contribute towards another's ticket.

3. Conrad30 bill- A bill introduced by Senator Conrad would award exemption from GC quotas for all physicians that serve in underserved areas. IV has been very active in helping formulate this bill and will continue to support it. We hope that such bills will be a precedent for future exemptions. On the same note Cong Kennedy has introduced a bill in the house to exempt PhDs from GC quotas.

4. Recently our issues were brought to the fore by Bill Gates. In his speech in Congress, he spoke specifically on increasing GC numbers and removing country caps for GCs. We continue to coordinate with large employers and Compete America for these goals. We have reports that influential lawmakers, with whom we have built strong relationships, have also spoken out on these issues in recent meetings on the Hill. We have to keep tis momentum up if we want to succeed. meeting your lawmakers remains of great importance. Please plan meetings and send us feedback on the response.

5. MI Drivers license: new regulations had put DLs out of reach for all but GC holders. Active campaigning and lobbying by out MI chapter has reversed this with the passage of a new law. While things still remain problematic for some people, the issue for most is largely addressed. Kudos to the chapter for the timely action and success. IV members were invited for oral testimony in the MI senate hearing on the issue.

The physicians bill and the DL issue showcase the power of local chapters.
please help to keep your chapters active and participate in actions including lawmaker meetings.
if you have not send admin changes letters- please send them even though the deadline is past. More letters can only help.

Puneet