Upcoming Events

IU Geocaching

Aug 28, 2012, 3:44:36 PM8/28/12
to iugeoc...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

We have several events planned for the fall semester starting with Welcome to Geocaching.

Welcome to Geocaching
This will be a short session of 1-2 hours where you can learn how to geocache. No boring lectures, just grab a GPS and learn by doing. We will find 5 geocaches on campus and you are free to leave at any time. Everyone is welcome so bring friends. There is no commitment to join the club or come to any other events. We just want anyone who is interested in this hobby to join us for a little bit and find some caches. You do not have to own a GPS unit because we have enough to share. If you have a smartphone there are apps that will allow you to geocache using the built in GPS function. We will show you some of the apps to use. Meet in the lobby of the Wells Library (the huge one) near the statue of Herman B Wells' head (middle of lobby). We will not always be walking on sidewalks so it is a good idea to wear sturdy shoes that you don't mind if they get dirty. I would not recommend flip flops or sandals.

Night-time Geocaching at Lieber State Recreation Area
On Friday, September 7th, a group of Geocachers will be getting together to go night-caching in the woods and eat chili at Lieber State Recreation Area. Here is the official Geocaching.com event page with more details. The IU Geocaching Club will be attending and providing rides, and if you want to carpool with us, please sign-up below. We will meet at 5:45pm at the IMU Circle drive. In order to arrive on time to the event we will be leaving by 6:00pm so please be sure to arrive at the IMU on time. We should be back by 11pm.

The chili dump is pitch-in. We are counting on you to bring chips, drinks or desserts. PLEASE let us know what you are bringing (on the sign up sheet for the event) so we know there will be plenty of everything to go around.

I attended this event last year and it was a lot of fun. This is something you don't want to miss. If you plan to attend please be sure to bring something to drink (water is recommended), shoes to hike in and that you don't mind getting dirty (no flip flops or sandals), a flashlight, a pen/pencil, something to pitch in for the food part.

We have a few other events in the works that are coming up soon as well. We would like to have a canoeing event. This has been done the past 2 years and we all have a blast doing it. Usually we go to Lake Monroe and canoe around the lake to collect caches. This is an event where if you attend we will ask for a little bit of money to help with canoe rentals. Probably somewhere around 3-5 dollars per person. I assure you it is worth it. This will be around late September or early October. Also homecoming weekend is celebrated with the Nearly Naked Mile and we plan on having something to do that weekend probably associated with the Nearly Naked Mile. Possibly a nightcache after the run. That is in October also. We will send out emails when we get closer to the actual event dates.

Hope to see you at these upcoming events!

Jeff Dunfee