Geocaching this weekend!

IU Geocaching

Apr 13, 2012, 3:12:01 AM4/13/12
to iugeoc...@googlegroups.com
Hey future geocachers!
The weather is perfect to be outside, so why not add some adventure to your life and find a few geocaches?
We have a goal of introducing 30 new students to geocaching by the end of the year. We want to show you how to geocache! If you can't make an event, please let us know in our Facebook group when you'd like to go geocaching and one of our officer team members would be happy to find a few geocaches with you and your friends.

Events

Night Geocaching Hike Downtown
Friday, April 13 at 6pm on the B-Line Trail.
Rides will be provided from campus.
We're going to walk the B-Line Trail in downtown Bloomington where we'll spend 1-3 hours finding geocaches in the dark. It's an urban trail, so we won't have to deal with mud, bushes, etc. It's entirely paved.
Bring a flashlight or team up with someone else that has one! We'll have a few extra GPS units and flashlights. You can bring friends! It should be a very fun event for those people new to geocaching and others that are.

We will drive you! The carpool will meet at 5:50pm at the circle drive in front of the Indiana Memorial Union (IMU).
If you'd like to meet us there, you can park near the giant statue of a dining table near City Hall at 401 N. Morton St. We'll meet at the statue at 6pm before heading south on the B-Line.

Yellowwood State Forest Hike
Saturday, April 14 or Sunday, April 15th-
Jess & David are planning a 4-6 mile hike on the Scarce o' Fat Trail this weekend. They expect to find 26 geocaches. They haven't decided which of the 2 days, but will probably leave at 9am, pack lunches, and provide rides. If you'd like to come, please e-mail Jess at j.falk...@gmail.com

GeoWoodstock
Saturday May 26, 2012 from 9am-5pm at Silver Creek Township Park in Sellersburg, IN, just an hour and half away.
This is the world's largest geocaching event!  There are lots of fun activities, games, booths, geocaching vendors, and food for the entire family and geocachers of any experience level!
There will be 5,000-7,500 geocachers from all over the world in attendance. This event rotates across the country every year, so it is very unlikely it will be back in Indiana for a very, very long time, so take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity to attend this event while it's in our backyard!
If you have any questions about this event, please e-mail me or ask me at an event. I went in 2011 and had an amazing time! I would love to answer any questions you might have! :) Jess is organizing camping for people from the Geocaching Club & trying to organize a carpool since everyone will be scattered across the state during the summer, so let us know where you're going to be and we can probably get you a ride there.

GeoWoodstock Registration Deadline is SUNDAY
You can attend without registering, but registering will provide you with a reusable geocaching name tag & lanyard, catered lunch, bag of goodies, t-shirt, etc. (There are differing levels of registration, including a free registration level. $25 Includes name badge, registration packet, souvenir badge holder, and 1 meal ticket. $35 include all of that plus the GeoWoodstock X T-Shirt. There are also levels of registration that include geocoins, pathtags, etc. If you don't register, you can still come, but you probably won't get a nametag, food, etc. It costs ours friends in southern Indiana tens of thousands of dollars to host an event of this size, so paid registration helps them to provide everyone with an awesome day!
The Final Registration Deadline is April 15th. Registration is at http://www.geowoodstock.com and does require a credit card to pay. (Unlike every other geocaching event, this has a separate website that you must register on!)

IF you are unsure about your schedule still, register and if you can't make it, Jess will pick up your registration materials for you, so you'll still get what you paid for. This will be the most memorable geocaching event of your life, so I'd really love to see you there!

GeoWoodstock Volunteer Opportunities!
Our fellow Hoosiers who are planning this event are going to need a few hundred volunteers to help on the day of the event. Volunteers will have several different types of volunteer shifts and they will be 1.5-2 hours l, so that you have plenty of time to see the rest of the day. If you're interested in helping volunteer, there is a list of volunteer opportunites and time slots at http://geowoodstock.com/gws10/volunteer.php

Getting Started Geocaching
We want to show you how to geocache! Geocaching is a real-world adventure-based outdoor treasure hunting game. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using GPS-enabled devices and then share their experiences online. It's really fun when you geocache with a group of friends.
To play you can use a smart phone, bring a friend who has a GPS, or you can check out one of the 5 geocaching kits that at in the Wells Library. There are 45 geocaches on campus, 460 within 10 miles of Bloomington, 18,000 in Indiana, and 1.6 million geocaches worldwide!

GPS Units available at the Library!
If you haven't heard, there are 6 GPS units available for students to check-out for FREE using your student IDs within the Wells Library. You must go to the circulation desk on the second floor of the East Tower. This can be accessed  through the escalator that's in the lobby. You can check out the GPS units for 4 days. They also come with instruction manuals!

Geocaching with your Smartphone
If you didn't already know, you can use your iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry  to geocache! Geocaching.com has smartphone apps that's $9.99 and a free trial that allows you to find 3 geocaches. (And there are several other apps with other prices.) Visit  http://www.geocaching.com/live/  for more information. That's MUCH cheaper than paying for a GPS unit! Will and Maria use the application and say it works great.

Join our Facebook Group
Make sure to join our Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/iugeocaching/
On the Facebook group, we share ideas for upcoming events, you can ask for hints for geocaches that you can't find, and you ask if anyone is interested in going geocaching with you at a specific time. Or find other IU students interested in geocaching in your area during the summer!

Geocaching Challenges
Geocaching challenges are a different kind of adventure that encourage you to take a picture of you completing a fun task at a specific location like swimming in Showalter Fountain, watching the Light Totem at night, finding the hidden Donald Duck statue on campus, or posing with Herman B Wells. You can explore our local challenges by visiting http://www.geocaching.com/challenges or downloading the Challenges app on your smartphone!

Leaders Needed: Elections for the school year!
Interested in taking a more active role in Geocaching Club next year? Looking for a great opportunity to add to your resume? We are looking for nominations for next year's officer team!
The term is from fall 2012 to spring 2013, with new officers elected in April for the summer/following school year. We're a fairly new group, so it doesn't matter if you haven't participated much before. All we’re looking for are creative and motivated students that enjoy exploring the outdoors!

Nominations are open from now until April 14th. Elections will be held online from April 15-21st

How to Apply
If you're interested in a position, please fill out the application form by following this link: http://dft.ba/-OfficerApplication. The application consists of basic information (name, email, and position) and the following two questions:
Please list past leadership experience that makes you a viable candidate for an office position:
What goals, ideas, and or programs would you like to pursue in your officer position? Why?

Benefits
Being a leader in the Geocaching Club is a great way to network and meet new people. This is a wonderful opportunity to grow your leadership skills and it looks great on anyone’s resume. Being an officer, you’ll get hands on experience with planning events, outreach opportunities across the Bloomington community, and get to know Bloomington in a way you’ve never seen it before.
Questions?
If you have any questions or comments at all, please email iugeoc...@gmail.com. We look forward to exploring the outdoors with you!

Position Descriptions
President Responsibilities:
Lead Leadership Team in planning events
Official representative of Geocaching Club at IU to other clubs and organizations
Can appoint special officers, leadership roles and committees as needed
In charge of registering Geocaching Club at IU as a student organization every year
In charge of relationship with Student Activities Office
Setting organization goals (short and long term)  with help of Leadership Team
Keeping advisor current on organization activities
Developing Leadership Team meeting agendas

Vice-President Responsibilities:
Presiding over events when president is not present
Facilitate and organize new member recruitment and development
Arranges date, time and place of meetings
Maintains a list of all members and attendance at events
Arranges carpools to events
Supervise any committees formed
Leads outreach and advocacy programs

Business Manager Responsibilities:
Creating and managing budget
Maintaining records of organization spending and reimbursements
Maintains an accurate record of paid dues, if dues are collected
Fulfill the financial obligations with Indiana University and within club in order to maintain status as a student organization
Manages equipment owned by the organization

Webmaster Responsibilities:
Maintains web, printing, and e-mail accounts for the club
Updates club’s calendar online
Manages e-mail list
Manages or delegates Facebook and social media presence
Collects photographs from events to put online
Taking and distributing meeting notes if needed
Post announcements of the club in all the social pages owned by the club

Marketing Chair
Designs flyers, banners, and displays for our events and Caching After Class
Leads Leadership Team in event promotion and publicity

Outreach Chairs (2 people!)
Partners with event coordinators from other organizations to plan opportunities for us to teach geocaching at various community events, conferences, and organizations
Plans our weekly Caching After Class events during the early fall and late spring (Remember there's 2 people and you can delegate to others!)
Recruits and manages volunteers for outreach events

We hope to see you at an upcoming event! Let us know if you have any questions.

Geocaching Club at Indiana University Officer Team