Learn how to Geocache & an EPIC geocaching event on Sunday, April 1

1 view

IU Geocaching

Mar 28, 2012, 4:13:15 AM3/28/12
to iugeoc...@googlegroups.com
Hey future geocachers!
The weather is perfect to be outside, so why not add some adventure to your life and find a few geocaches?
We have a goal of introducing 30 new students to geocaching by the end of the year. We want to show you how to geocache! If you can't make an event, please let us know in our Facebook group when you'd like to go geocaching and one of our officer team members would be happy to find a few geocaches with you and your friends.

Events
Intro to Geocaching & the Bucket o' Fun (The most epic geocache on campus)! EVENT
Sunday, April 1st at 1pm. Please meet in the lobby of the Wells Library.
We want to show YOU how to geocache. We'll be doing a short 1 hour intro to geocaching session by showing you how to use a GPS and taking you to find 3 geocaches on campus.
Following the introduction, if you're interested in continuing (feel free to leave at this point or come just for this), we will be taking a group of us to find Bucket 'O Fun, an epic adventure geocache on campus. It will take approximately 4-5 hours to complete with our team, as it is a difficult 5 stage geocache, meaning we have to find one stage that will give us information to go to the next stage. This is one of the most fun and epic geocaches within 30 miles of Bloomington, so it's definitely worth coming. Make sure to wear clothes and shoes that can get a little dirty!   This will be one of the most memorable events of your schoolyear! The cache information is available here if you want to read more: http://coord.info/GC1WE76
http://www.facebook.com/events/283825121694121/

Night Geocaching Hike Downtown
Friday, April 13 at 6pm on the B-Line Trail. Rides will be provided from campus.
We're going to walk the B-Line Trail in downtown Bloomington where we'll spend 1-3 hours finding geocaches in the dark. It's an urban trail, so we won't have to deal with mud, bushes, etc. It's entirely paved.
Bring a flashlight or team up with someone else that has one! We'll have a few extra GPS units and flashlights. You can bring friends! It should be a very fun event for those people new to geocaching and others that are.
The carpool will meet at 5:50pm at the circle drive in front of the Indiana Memorial Union (IMU).
If you'd like to meet us there, you can park near the giant statue of a dining table near City Hall at 401 N. Morton St.

Getting Started Geocaching
We want to show you how to geocache! Geocaching is a real-world adventure-based outdoor treasure hunting game. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using GPS-enabled devices and then share their experiences online. It's really fun when you geocache with a group of friends.
To play you can use a smart phone, bring a friend who has a GPS, or you can check out one of the 5 geocaching kits that at in the Wells Library. There are 45 geocaches on campus, 460 within 10 miles of Bloomington, 18,000 in Indiana, and 1.6 million geocaches worldwide!

GPS Units available at the Library!
If you haven't heard, there are 6 GPS units available for students to check-out for FREE using your student IDs within the Wells Library. You must go to the circulation desk on the second floor of the East Tower. This can be accessed  through the escalator that's in the lobby. You can check out the GPS units for 4 days. They also come with instruction manuals!

Geocaching with your Smartphone
If you didn't already know, you can use your iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry  to geocache! Geocaching.com has smartphone apps that's $9.99 and a free trial that allows you to find 3 geocaches. (And there are several other apps with other prices.) Visit  http://www.geocaching.com/live/  for more information. That's MUCH cheaper than paying for a GPS unit! Will and Maria use the application and say it works great.

Join our Facebook Group
Make sure to join our Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/iugeocaching/
On the Facebook group, we share ideas for upcoming events, you can ask for hints for geocaches that you can't find, and you ask if anyone is interested in going geocaching with you at a specific time. Or find other IU students interested in geocaching in your area during the summer!

Geocaching Challenges
Geocaching challenges are a different kind of adventure that encourage you to take a picture of you completing a fun task at a specific location like swimming in Showalter Fountain, watching the Light Totem at night, finding the hidden Donald Duck statue on campus, or posing with Herman B Wells. You can explore our local challenges by visiting http://www.geocaching.com/challenges or downloading the Challenges app on your smartphone!

We hope to see you at an upcoming event! Let us know if you have any questions.

Geocaching Club at Indiana University Officer Team