Caching After Class tomorrow: Be featured in the IDS by coming!

IU Geocaching

Apr 19, 2011, 9:25:18 PM4/19/11
to iugeoc...@googlegroups.com
The IDS will be at Caching After Class on Wednesday taking pictures and interviewing people on why they came geocaching for the first time. We'll be in the newspaper on Thursday! They said we might even get the front page! So make sure to come! We really need some new people to come as they'd like to interview you after you geocache for the first time. If you haven't before, we'd love for you to join us!

Caching After Class
We'll be hosting weekly "Caching After Class" events that will be short 1 hour sessions where you can learn how to geocache while giving it a try. No boring lectures, just grab a GPS and go learn by doing! We'll find some geocaches on campus for about an hour and you're free to leave or continue at any point in time.
Everyone is welcome. There is no commitment to join the club or come to any other events, we just want anyone who is interested in trying this hobby, to join us for a fun hour of finding some geocaches.
You do not need to own a GPS unit because we have enough to share!
Meet in the lobby of the Wells Library (the big library) on any of these days. We'll visit different caches each week!
Wednesday April 20th 5:00pm - 6:00pm http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=118211951590780
Tuesday April 26th 4:00pm - 5:00pm

Game Day BBQ and Geocaching
Friday, April 22nd
1-3pm
In front of the Informatics Building on 10th and Woodlawn. The ICSA is providing a yummy BBQ with burgers, hotdogs, veggie burgers and other yummy food for us. Plus they have indoor and outdoor games going on! We'll be taking groups of interested people out on geocaching adventures near the building. Great opportunity to get out and enjoy the weather.

Bucket of Fun!
Friday, April 22nd
3:30pm. We'll be walking from the Informatics Building over here to meet everyone at 3:30.
If you're coming just for this, meet in front of the Education Building (the side with the parking garage in front of it.)
The cache information is available here: http://coord.info/GC1WE76
This afternoon, we'll be taking a group of us to find Bucket Of Fun, an epic adventure geocache on campus. It will take approximately 4-5 hours to complete as it is a 5 stage geocache with our team. This is one of the most fun and epic geocaches within 30 miles of here, so it's definitely worth coming. Make sure to wear clothes and shoes that can get a little dirty!   This will be one of the most memorable events of your schoolyear!

Nightcaching Event
Friday, April 29th
8:30pm Rides will be provided from campus
Come and celebrate the end of the year and blow off some steam before finals! We're going to take a group to the B-Line Trail in downtown Bloomington where we'll spend 1-3 hours finding geocaches in the dark. Bring a flashlight or team up with someone else that has one!

GPS Units available at the Library!
If you haven't heard, there are 6 GPS units available for students to check-out using your student IDs within the Wells Library. You must go to the circulation desk on the second floor of the East Tower. This can be accessed through the elevator on the east side, or through the escalator that's in the lobby. You can check out the GPS units for 4 days.

Announcing the Leaders For Next School Year
We had an easy time with this because we had one person running for each position. Here's the goals of our new leaders.

Co-President- Alex Lemont
 My main focus is to gain more interest from other students to be involved with the officer team of the geocaching club. We currently have a dedicated officer team, but once they start graduating, we need more students to continue the club
Gain a consistent core group of members
Co-President- Will Petrovic
I would like to continue the IU Geocaching Club's tradition of being a fun, open, and diverse group of Geocachers.  I would like to do this by continuing to host events frequently that our members are interested in participating in.  I am interested in doing this because I enjoy the IU Geocaching Club's events, I know our members enjoy our events, and I want to continue to help provide fun events for our members.
Vice-President & Outreach- Danielle Fields
a. I would like to get people interested in geocaching; and even if they are not completely into geocaching, help educate about gps technology and the various aspects of geocaching, i.e. Groundspeak, hiding and seeking, etc.
b. I love showing people about this hobby! Had I not had someone introduce me, I would have never known such an adventure existed; this is part of the "education" side.
c. I would love taking groups out and giving presentations to introduce people to geocaching. One of my goals as an Outreach chair would be to build a community and keep it strong; this is one of the reasons Bloomington has such a wonderful set of caches.
Business Manager- Maria Solomou
 For the position of the business manager, I would like to write another grant and increase the
number of our GPS units available at the library.
Webmaster- Jeff Dunfee
The website works well as it is now, but it is plain. I would like to make it more visually appealing. For example, I would like to implement more photos and videos. At almost every event there are pictures and videos taken, but they never end up on the website. As for as content goes, again it works, but it could be better I would like to implement a RSVP page instead of linking to a google docs form and I think another webpage should be added to the site that is based around information for new geocachers.
Marketing Chair- Dillon Daniel
 I fell that I can really help out next year. I will try my best to fulfill what I am required to do for this club's needs.

Hope to see you at an event!
Jess
Co-President of Geocaching Club at IU