ITKsnap stopped working on Win10

Dorian Pustina

Aug 15, 2018, 11:11:54 PM8/15/18
to itksnap-users
Hi Paul,

I have ITKsnap on my old desktop (specs below). Snap used to work fine there, I had v3.6 from Apr 2017. But for some reason is not working anymore, it doesn't show the image. I tried:
1. Removing UserPreferences.xml
2. Install the nightly build, I think that was from March 2018
3. Install the experimetnal branch 3.8.0-alpha.

One anomaly I have noticed is that the installer complains that PATH is too long and it cannot add anything. Yet, I verify the version of Snap I open and each time is the correct one I have installed.

I am attaching a video of the problem, and below are the specs of the computer. I have the feeling that some recent update of Windows has broken something, reason for which there are several recent complains for making Snap work on Windows.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Precision T5610
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Precision T5610
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 v2 @ 2.50GHz, 2500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 v2 @ 2.50GHz, 2494 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

2018-08-15_23h02_13.mp4

Dorian Pustina

Aug 16, 2018, 10:34:55 AM8/16/18
to itksnap-users
Here are a few more things I tried, problem still unresolved.

Updated Windows to Win10 Pro 10.0.17134 Build 17134. Uninstalled all ITKsnap installations, deleted their folders (there were 3 dll files left) and removed the %APPDATA%\itksnap.org folder, then reinstalled 3.8.0-alpha. Outcome is the same, images are not shown, although Snap thinks that is showing them, the window resizes, the title of the window becomes the filename, and the images are logged in the history. So it must be a Qt issue.

Next step: uninstalled 3.8.0 and installed 3.6.0 with Qt4. Same result. Maximizing the axial view shows even the scrollbar, but nothing is displayed.

Next step: uninstall 3.6.0 Qt4 and install v3.4 32bit 2015 (not 64 bit). This doesn't show any controls, just a white window (see below). Clicking on the white window where the "recent" image should be located changes the title of the window to the filename. Looks like Snap is again thinking it's all ok on its side.
image.png

Next step: uninstall 3.4 32bit, remove the preferences folder in %APPDATA%, install 3.4.0.QT4 (64bit). Same story, controls show but not the image:
image.png

At this point I don't know what else to do. There must be something on the rendering engine, but don't know how to troubleshoot that.

Note that I have ITKsnap on my Microsoft Surface and works fine:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

Dorian

Paul Yushkevich

Aug 16, 2018, 10:38:44 AM8/16/18
to itksna...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dorian

This looks like something has disabled OpenGL support. Try launching ITK-SNAP from the command line and seeing whether you see any messages printed.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul A. Yushkevich, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Penn Image Computing and Science Laboratory
Department of Radiology
University of Pennsylvania

Dorian Pustina

Aug 16, 2018, 10:51:44 AM8/16/18
to itksnap-users
No message when launching Snap from command line. Tried both 3.4 and 3.8.

C:\Program Files\ITK-SNAP 3.4\bin>ITK-SNAP.exe

C:\Program Files\ITK-SNAP 3.4\bin>cd ..

C:\Program Files\ITK-SNAP 3.4>cd ..

C:\Program Files>cd "ITK-SNAP 3.8"

C:\Program Files\ITK-SNAP 3.8>cd bin

C:\Program Files\ITK-SNAP 3.8\bin>ITK-SNAP.exe

C:\Program Files\ITK-SNAP 3.8\bin>

Paul Yushkevich

Aug 16, 2018, 10:53:31 AM8/16/18
to itksna...@googlegroups.com
Could you try looking for an OpenGL driver? I really think it's OpenGL related from the way those windows are rendering weirdly.

Thanks
Paul

Dorian Pustina

Aug 16, 2018, 11:23:22 AM8/16/18
to itksnap-users
Solved it.

The graphic driver was from 2015 and Windows couldn't find any more recent drivers. However, I went on the Nvidia website (the card is Quadro K2000) and got the latest drivers from July 2018. Installing those and restarting the computer fixed the issue without needing to reinstall ITKsnap. Took me hours to fix this but at least it works now.

Thanks Paul.

Paul Yushkevich

Aug 16, 2018, 11:24:51 AM8/16/18
to itksna...@googlegroups.com