(Registration) Understanding exported similarity/affine transforms

hmk...@yahoo.dk

Nov 17, 2020, 11:19:45 AM11/17/20
to itksnap-users
Hi,
I just recently realized that a registration module was added, and have now had a little time (and a relevant project) to play around with it. I am already a big fan - it is very nice, intuitive, and something that I have really been missing - well done!

I would like to be able to export manually set transformation parameters (rigid/affine) - import them in into matlab/python - and use them constructively in various processing scripts, and to perform various customized image operations etc. The translation and rotation part of the transform (so rigid), I understand and can work with quite nicely.

However, when scaling is added (so similarity transforms) I cannot seem to grasp how the transforms are applied. I noticed that the translation parameters are actually modified during export when scalings are non-zero.
Suppose, that I have manually set translation parameters to [t_x, t_y, t_z] and also applied a scaling in y, s_y. Then the translation vector is not exported/stored as [t_x, t_y, t_z], but rather [t_x, y', t_z]. I can't get my head around how that modification of t_y relates to the scaling parameter, s_y.
An explanation or some further references to how the transforms work would be much appreciated :)

Best,
Martin

Paul Yushkevich

Nov 19, 2020, 1:01:05 PM11/19/20
to itksna...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

Try using c3d_affine_tool on the transforms exported from ITK-SNAP (it's a binary shipped with SNAP) and the -info-full command. It breaks the transformation into rigid and scaling components.

Hope that's helpful
Paul

Paul A. Yushkevich, Ph.D.
Professor of Radiology
Penn Image Computing and Science Laboratory
University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine