Added Wacom tablets support to 3.8.0. Draw with pen like a pro.

Denis Shamonin

Aug 16, 2019, 4:43:37 PM8/16/19
to itksnap-developers
Hi Devs,

I've just recently received Wacom Cintiq 16 for my work. I have to do a lot of labels in one atlas.
So, I've noticed no support in ITK-SNAP to this type of devices, basically it is just a fancy mouse.

I've compiled ITK-SNAP with Qt 5.13.0, ITK 4.12.2, VTK 8.2.0.
Then added the support. It works pretty well and does not break the mouse compatibility.
You could even switch between mouse and tablet if you want. The extra rendering is also added to indicate the pressure state.
Basically work similar to Blender sculpt mode.

I am still testing it. There is a problem with QT that both tabletEvent(QTabletEvent * event) and mousePressEvent(QMouseEvent *ev)
may come together. This is a QT bug and will not be fixed until Windows 7 support exists.

I've implemented the work around and in general it works. You may still sometimes get the first draw with maximum pressure.
That means that mousePressEvent() still executes first. But it happens not that often to be annoying.
I don't want to have explicit switch it the GUI or on the keyboard. This is not needed in theory.

I still wanna have pen eraser support and some other things maybe. That is way a bit more time would be needed to finalize it.

Basically I want to merge it if tested. You have to do the code review. I will send the patch diff.
How does it sounds?

Regards,
Denis P. Shamonin

Paul Yushkevich

Aug 16, 2019, 4:46:44 PM8/16/19
to itksn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Denis,

This sounds pretty cool. Would love to test it out.

Thanks!
Paul

Paul A. Yushkevich, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Penn Image Computing and Science Laboratory
Department of Radiology
University of Pennsylvania