XDS legalAuthenticator cardinality

1 view

Gregorio Canal

Dec 16, 2022, 10:00:00 AM12/16/22
to itico...@googlegroups.com, Mauro Zanardini
Hi everybody,

we had an issue in our XDS environment regarding reports holding multiple signatures.
XDS requires the following:

4.2.3.2.14 DocumentEntry.legalAuthenticator

Represents a participant within an authorInstitution who has legally authenticated or attested the document. Legal authentication implies that a document has been signed manually or electronically by the legalAuthenticator.

Coding:

Max length is 256 characters. This attribute shall be absent if not applicable. The value is coded as a single value within an ebRIM Slot in the DocumentEntry. The format of the legalAuthenticator value is XCN; see Table 4.2.3.1.7-2 for description of XCN format.

The following example shows a legalAuthenticator of ^Welby^Marcus^^^ Dr^MD.

Thus document's metadata shall have only one legalAuthenticator. But for documents that have been signed by multiple authenticator how should it be handled? Did someone stepped in the same issue?

Best regards
Gregorio

--
Gregorio Canal
Standardization and Testing Area | Arsenàl.IT

John Moehrke

Dec 19, 2022, 4:52:39 PM12/19/22
to itico...@googlegroups.com, Mauro Zanardini
Mauro, I recommend you ask this on the XDS-Implementers mailing list. The ITI comments is a limited audience.

I don't think that I have heard of anyone asking for this. Which means it is either unique to your need, or is solved by someone already.

The use of IHE-DSG is a clear solution as it supports counter signatures and co-signatures among others. It does support this with digital signatures, not electronic signatures.

Surely the CDA header covers these use-cases you have; just would not be exposed in the XDS metadata... why do you need this exposed in XDS? What is the XDS use-case need?

John Moehrke 🔥 Architect: Healthcare Informatics Standards - Interoperability, Privacy, and Security
IHE Co-Chair IT Infrastructure Planning and Technical
HL7 Co-Chair Security WG, FHIR FMG, FHIR facilitator, and
FHIR Foundation founding member
Employee of By Light -- Contractor to VHA MyHealtheVet
JohnM...@gmail.com  |  M +1 920-564-2067  |  John.M...@bylight.com
 https://healthcaresecprivacy.blogspot.com