WVBR'S BOUND FOR GLORY, 42nd YEAR, SUMMER 2009

1 view

Thomas Giventer

Jun 20, 2009, 1:42:25 AM6/20/09
WVBR'S BOUND FOR GLORY, 42nd YEAR, SUMMER 2009

Yes, there are six live Bound for Glory broadcasts this and every
summer. Phil Shapiro, host of WVBR's Bound for Glory since its inception
in 1967, announces the Summer portion of the 42nd year of this Central
New York musical tradition.

WVBR's Bound for Glory, North America's longest running live folk
concert broadcast, broadcasts live from the Cafe at Anabel Taylor Hall
at Cornell, on Sunday nights. Bound for Glory brings central New York
another series of free folk concerts, on WVBR-FM, 93.5 and 105.5, and
streaming on line at http://wvbr.com. We promise some excellent acoustic
music, presented by long-time host Phil Shapiro.

The show runs Sunday nights from 8 to 11, with live sets at 8:30, 9:30,
and 10:30. All three sets are different. Come to as many sets as you
wish. Admission in the live audience at the Cafe at Anabel Taylor Hall,
is free and is open to everyone in the area. Kids are always welcome.
Refreshments are available. For further information, call Phil Shapiro
at 607-844-4535, or e-mail at pd...@cornell.edu.

Find out about upcoming Bound for Glory shows, and about how you can
help, through the Friends of Bound for Glory, by looking up
http://wvbr.com on the Web. Everyone can listen to Bound for Glory on
line. The website tells you how.

JUNE 21 ANNE HILLS. It's been a lot of years. Anne Hills has been
one of the major forces in American folk music for several decades now.
She's got an amazing voice, some wonderful songwriting skills, and a
willingness to go look for other people's songs that she can make her
very own. A great start to our season.

JUNE 28 TOM PACHECO. Tom Pacheco has been around the track a few
times. He's been a mainstay of the Woodstock music scene when he's
here, but he usually lives and tours in Europe. He writes quirky songs
that tell fascinating stories. A little country, a little bluesy, a lot
of sparkle and magic. Welcome him to Bound for Glory.

JULY 5 NANNE AND ANKIE. From the Netherlands. This great sounding
duo tells their stories in English, but sings in Dutch. And Frisian.
And, believe it or not, Esperanto. They're in the US for the 400th
anniversary of Henry Hudson's famous visit, and we're very lucky that
they'll be coming to Bound for Glory.

JULY 12 ERIC TAYLOR. Eric Taylor is one of the best known Texas
songwriters. His songs show that he's quite the yarn spinner. And a
super guitarist as well. Bound for Glory has been attracting a number
of folks from the Southern folk circuit, folks who don't usually play in
these parts. Let's see what happens. Good stuff coming.

JULY 19 JENI AND BILLY. Jeni was born in the coal fields of
Southwestern Virginia. She comes by mountain music honestly. Jeni and
Billy do new songs written squarely in the mountain tradition, flavored
by Old Timey, Bluegrass, and Blues. They've been getting quite a bit of
attention lately. Glad they'll be joining us.

JULY 26 THE BELLES TRIO. The Belles Trio: Mara Levine, Marie-Elena
and Caroline Cutroneo, with special guest James Brennan. Three women
with beautiful close harmonies, doing everything from traditional songs
through some wonderful, but seldom remembered, songs from the '60's and
'70's, to contemporary folk and a few homemade songs as well. A
wonderful end to an excellent Summer on Bound for Glory, and to our 42nd
year.

From AUGUST 2nd through the 23rd, Bound for Glory will be Albums from
the Studios, as Cornell resumes its Summer Break, and the Cafe at
Anabel Taylor, is closed. Give Phil a call at 607-273-2121. The 43rd
year of WVBR's Bound for Glory starts on August 30th.

WVBR's BOUND FOR GLORY, North America's longest running live folk
concert broadcast, Ithaca, NY, since 1967. Sunday nights, 8 -11 pm.
Listen live at http://wvbr.com

Phil Shapiro, 979 Harford Rd., Dryden, NY 13053. 607-844-4535.
pd...@cornell.edu

--
| ___ __ __ | Now you can shop online and benefit
| / //_ /_ giventer | Friends of Bound for Glory:
| /__/__/__/ software | http://savefone.com
| / systems |