WVBR'S BOUND FOR GLORY STARTS ITS 43rd YEAR, FALL 2009

Thomas Giventer

Aug 26, 2009, 5:24:11 PM8/26/09
WVBR'S BOUND FOR GLORY STARTS ITS 43rd YEAR, FALL 2009

Phil Shapiro, host of WVBR's Bound for Glory since its inception in
1967, announces the Fall schedule, the start of the 43rd year of this
Central New York musical tradition.

WVBR's Bound for Glory, North America's longest running live folk
concert broadcast, broadcasts live from the Cafe at Anabel Taylor Hall
at Cornell, on Sunday nights. Bound for Glory brings central New York
another series of free folk concerts, on WVBR-FM, 93.5 and 105.5. We
promise some excellent acoustic music, presented by long-time host Phil
Shapiro.

The show runs Sunday nights from 8 to 11, with live sets at 8:30, 9:30,
and 10:30. All three sets are different. Come to as many sets as you
wish. Admission in the live audience at Anabel Taylor is free and is
open to everyone in the area. Kids are always welcome. Refreshments are
available. For further information, call Phil Shapiro at 607-844-4535,
or e-mail pd...@cornell.edu.

Find out about upcoming Bound for Glory shows, and about how you can
help, through the Friends of Bound for Glory, by looking up
http://wvbr.com on the Web. Everyone can listen to Bound for Glory on
line. The website tells you how.

AUG. 30 SADIE GREEN SALES RAGTIME JUGBAND. These guys are so much
fun. They've been on Bound for Glory off and on for maybe 25 years,
playing the entire Hardware Orchestra, from musical saw to washboard to
tuned 6 pack. David Driskell will surely play two clarinets at once.
At the end of the evening, you'll sport a wide, goofy grin.

SEPT. 6 LESLIE LEE AND STEVE GRETZ. This lively and eclectic duo has
recently moved to New York State from New England. This will be their
Bound for Glory debut. They play a wide variety of music, old and new,
with a definitely traditional flavor. Their voices go well together,
their song selection is excellent. Please welcome them.

SEPT. 13 MARK RUST. Time to welcome back an old Ithaca favorite. Mark
Rust is a completely charming singer, songwriter, and yarn spinner. A
lot of his songs were written in or about Ithaca, and about the Ithaca
Festival. You'll find choruses to join in on, a sparkle and a smile.

SEPT. 20 JOE JENCKS. Been trying to get Joe Jencks on the Bound for
Glory show for quite a few years now. He's a social commentator who
doesn't always take himself seriously. He brings people together, and
he has many a story to tell. Plus he's got a great voice. We're
pleased to finally present him on Bound for Glory.

SEPT. 27 ERICA WHEELER. Erica Wheeler is a fine and delightful
contemporary singer-songwriter, with a wry sense of humor, and a magical
way with audiences. Her songs paint pictures, and she'll surprise you
with quirky good humor. It's been too long since her last Bound for
Glory appearance. Don't miss her.

OCT. 4 MIKE AGRANOFF. Mike Agranoff is by now a Bound for Glory
regular, known for his amazing, appropriately dreadful parodies, intense
but funny recitations, and wild good humor. But look between and you'll
find that he is an excellent guitarist with an ear for a good serious
song as well. Always a worthwhile evening.

On OCTOBER 11,Bound for Glory will be Albums from the Studios, as
Cornell takes Fall Break, and the Cafe at Anabel Taylor is closed. Give
Phil a call at 607-273-2121. There will be seven more live shows in the
late Fall, starting OCTOBER 18, including visits from ROD MACDONALD,
ELLIS PAUL, ROY BOOK BINDER, and COSY SHERIDAN AND T.R. RITCHIE.
Details to follow.

WVBR's BOUND FOR GLORY, North America's longest running live folk
concert broadcast, Ithaca, NY, since 1967. Sunday nights, 8 -11 pm.
Listen live at http://wvbr.com

Phil Shapiro, 979 Harford Rd., Dryden, NY 13053. 607-844-4535.
pd...@cornell.edu

--
| ___ __ __ | Now you can shop online and benefit
| / //_ /_ giventer | Friends of Bound for Glory:
| /__/__/__/ software | http://savefone.com
| / systems |