Title bar color

Johannes Hofmann

Oct 29, 2017, 3:50:19 PM10/29/17
to iterm2-discuss
Hi,

I'd like to make the title bar blend with the background of the terminal by setting the title bar to the same color as the background. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to work.

- Is the "Tab Color" the right way to go when trying to the title bar color?
- I noticed in addition to changing the tab colors, it changes the title bar colors; however if I put some color in there, the title bar appears much darker (e.g., I set the Tab color to RGX Hex 808080 and the Digital Color Meter app tells me the TAB color is 808080, but the title bar color is only 11111 and my theme uses 404040). I can't match by background color because if I tune tab color higher than 50% gray it changes from a dark to a light background.
- Is there another way to set the title bar color? I was trying to find the RGB or brightness/alpha values for the "dark" and "dark (high contrast)" presets in the source code so I could change them but I couldn't find them (I only know C, no objective C).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

George Nachman

Nov 4, 2017, 4:41:56 PM11/4/17
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com

> Is the "Tab Color" the right way to go when trying to the title bar color?

Yes, prior to macOS 10.13, that worked. Unfortunately, High Sierra does not allow the title bar color to be customized. For now your best bet is to adjust the terminal's background color to match the title bar, which looks good if you use the dark theme.

> if I put some color in there, the title bar appears much darker

I guess you must be on an older version of macOS if the title bar color is changing for you. Even in 10.12, when we had control over the title bar's color, it wasn't perfect control.

if I tune tab color higher than 50% gray it changes from a dark to a light background

I'm afraid I don't follow? If you mean the text color, it changes to try to stay legible against both light and dark backgrounds.

Johannes Hofmann

Nov 15, 2017, 9:29:59 AM11/15/17
to iterm2-discuss
Hi there. Thanks for your feedback.

Am Samstag, 4. November 2017 21:41:56 UTC+1 schrieb George Nachman:

> Is the "Tab Color" the right way to go when trying to the title bar color?

Yes, prior to macOS 10.13, that worked. Unfortunately, High Sierra does not allow the title bar color to be customized. For now your best bet is to adjust the terminal's background color to match the title bar, which looks good if you use the dark theme.

> if I put some color in there, the title bar appears much darker

I guess you must be on an older version of macOS if the title bar color is changing for you. Even in 10.12, when we had control over the title bar's color, it wasn't perfect control.

I'm definitely on High Sierra, Mac OS Version 10.13.1.
See the screenshot.

if I tune tab color higher than 50% gray it changes from a dark to a light background

I'm afraid I don't follow? If you mean the text color, it changes to try to stay legible against both light and dark backgrounds.

No, it's the title bar color. Note how in the screenshots a specified title bar color of 145 145 145 will get the actual title bar color only to 24 24 24. I'd like to get it to 30 30 30, but if I increase the specified title bar color in the preferences above 146 the title bar flips to "bright mode" or whatever. See attached screenshots.

George Nachman

Nov 18, 2017, 10:33:11 PM11/18/17
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting—I suppose it does have some effect, but it's very small. The thing is, I can draw the titlebar myself, but that requires adopting layer-backed views. Layer backed views cannot have background blur. That's not really worth it. However, there's a new renderer coming that is much faster and also requires layers. At that point I think it makes sense to do, but I must finish writing the new renderer first. I'll make an announcement here when it's ready.