scp shell integration passwords

ghostwheel

Oct 4, 2022, 2:08:36 PM10/4/22
to iterm2-discuss
I just started using shell integration for a remote host. I managed to get it working!
The remote host requires two-factor authentication, so when I log in, I have to provide a token. To do that just once per session, I use controlmaster in .ssh/config. This allows me to log in with ssh once, and after that, ssh and scp do not require password or token.
But, when I try to upload or download a file I have to supply the passphrase for the private key twice, and then a new token once.
Can scp from iTerm2 somehow use the controlmaster option that the ssh/scp command line uses?

George Nachman

Oct 6, 2022, 6:58:02 PM10/6/22
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
No, unfortunately it doesn’t support that. A better option will be coming in 3.5 in the form of ssh integration which will use openssh and provide a side channel for file transfer without needing to reconnect.