Possible to disable opening the default session on startup?

Craig Constantine

Dec 13, 2011, 10:38:11 AM12/13/11
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
When iterm2 launches, it opens a session for the profile which is marked as default. Is there any way to have the app open, and then do nothing? ...that is, not by default open any particular profile session?

Steve King

Dec 13, 2011, 2:12:03 PM12/13/11
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com

I'd like a way to do this, too. I want to start iTerm2 on login so the
visor window is available, but I don't want a regular terminal window to
appear.

--
Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer

George Nachman

Dec 13, 2011, 4:05:31 PM12/13/11
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
Create a window arrangement with no windows and have that open at startup.

Craig Constantine

Dec 13, 2011, 4:07:28 PM12/13/11
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! That works perfectly.

--Craig Constantine

Steve King

Dec 13, 2011, 4:28:50 PM12/13/11
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
On 2011-12-13 16:05, George Nachman wrote:
> Create a window arrangement with no windows and have that open at startup.

Huh. Well, what do you know? Thanks!

Julian Weinert

Apr 24, 2018, 6:08:57 AM4/24/18
to iterm2-discuss
Well... It's still the same situation after all these years, but this is just a workaround.
I'd like to use the System Window Restoring because, when I have windows open, I want them to still be open when I reboot.
Using the arrangements you cannot take advantage of the window system of macOS.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a real solution for this problem.

George Nachman

Apr 24, 2018, 11:47:39 AM4/24/18
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
There's an advanced pref that should do the trick, although its description doesn't capture it. Turn on **Prefs > Advanced > Open a new window when you click the dock icon and no windows are already open?** and see if that helps.

Ju

Apr 24, 2018, 11:12:00 PM4/24/18
to iterm2-discuss
Strange, can't find this pref...

George Nachman

Apr 26, 2018, 2:06:57 AM4/26/18
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
After looking into this more closely, I think that setting wouldn't do what you want after all. I added a new one, "Prefs>Advanced>Open a window at startup", which will be in tomorrow's nightly build. Set it to No and you should get what you want.

Ju

Apr 29, 2018, 7:40:06 AM4/29/18
to iterm2-discuss
I didn't have time to check again. Wow, that was fast, thanks for the great communication!
I just downloaded the latest nightly build but unfortunately couldn't find the setting. Did I possibly miss something or isn't it in that built yet?

George Nachman

Apr 30, 2018, 3:07:34 PM4/30/18
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the nightly builds are broken…I'll fix it tonight and you should be able to get it tomorrow.

Ju

Oct 22, 2018, 11:55:24 AM10/22/18
to iterm2-discuss
Hi George!

Sorry, I totally forgot about this. But the last updates reminded me of this discussion.
I found the setting you added, but it doesn't do a thing or at least does not solve my issue.

I set it to "no" but still when I restart iTerm, a new window is loaded in addition to my hotkey window.
Am I missing anything or could another setting interfere here?

Is there anything I could provide you to help?
Thanks again and cheers

George Nachman

Oct 23, 2018, 2:16:29 AM10/23/18
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
I found another code path that would cause this. Should be fixed in tomorrow's nightly build.

Ju

Nov 12, 2018, 11:49:39 AM11/12/18
to iterm2-discuss
Nope. Still not fixed unfortunately.
Is there anything I could do to help you narrowing it down?

George Nachman

Nov 16, 2018, 4:25:31 PM11/16/18
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
1. Turn on **Prefs > Advanced > Start debug logging automatically when iTerm2 is launched**
2. Relaunch, verifying that the bug is reproduced.
3. Select **iTerm2 > Toggle debug logging**
4. File an issue at https://iterm2.com/bugs and attach your debug log.