horizontal scrolling / disable word wrap

Grey

Dec 19, 2011, 12:55:43 PM12/19/11
to iterm2-discuss
I really like iterm2, but as far as i know, its missing one of the
most important features: horizontal scrolling

This is what sent me searching for a replacement to lion's terminal
app to begin with. Under most cases, I prefer to have no automatic
line wrapping. For instance, its SO MUCH cleaner when doing a grep.
or when tailing through log files.

This other terminal i found does the trick:
http://software.jessies.org/terminator/

However, i really prefer iterm2 - it is more rich, has some really
neat features, and overall just much more mature.

Any chance for horizontal scrolling in term2?

George Nachman

Dec 19, 2011, 5:04:25 PM12/19/11
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grey,

In general, I don't like horizontal scrolling in any app, much less a
terminal emulator. On the other hand, I can see how there would
occasionally be a need to handle long lines better, such as when doing
a tail of a log file. That's something that terminals could definitely
handle better. Please file a feature request and I'll think it over.

Thanks,

Grey

Dec 19, 2011, 5:21:55 PM12/19/11
to iterm2-discuss
Thanks George. To be honst, i always hated horizontal scrolling too,
but that was prior to getting used to a trackpad (http://
store.apple.com/us/product/MC380LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg)

The trackpad took some getting used to, but I find it so much more
productive than the old mouse. It also makes horizontal scrolling
just as easy as vertical, making me look for ways to leverage that.
But even beyond the trackpad for desktops, you have one built into
every laptop, so its already under wide use making horiz scrolling
even more attractive where handy. But even for those diehard mousers,
there's the smart mouse with the ball scroller, which does horiz very
well.

But hey, even if iterm2 never got horiz scrolling, even a truncate
would be better as long as you could toggle the mode easily.

thanks for listening, and for putting effort into a great product!

George Nachman

Dec 19, 2011, 6:24:59 PM12/19/11
to iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
I could see it being a mode  you could toggle. Please do file a feature request for it, as mailing list messages are more easily lost.
Thanks,

Jack Bloggs

Jan 9, 2012, 7:05:48 PM1/9/12
to iterm2-discuss
+1 for horizontal scrolling. In my opinion it's the killer feature of
terminator.

Clearly some people like it and some people don't, but if it were a
selectable option then we all win.

Joe.

Drew

Feb 26, 2012, 2:22:21 AM2/26/12
to iterm2-discuss
I also +1 this. I was recently trying to deal with a ps auxw, however
iterm wasn't able to show top of screen with scrolling. In theory, for
the most part I never need to expand over the resolution of my 17inch,
but still, it would be nice on the occasion that I needed to.

Anyway. Thanks,
Drew

Shane Delamore

Jul 3, 2017, 1:31:15 PM7/3/17
to iterm2-discuss
Another wrap option I'd like: indented wrap. When wrapping a line, start the 2nd and nth line indented as much as the 1st line.

Summary of wrapping options suggested (I'd love to see some or all of them):

  • horizontal scrolling
  • truncation with a quick toggle to see the full line
  • indented wrapping

ddofborg

Sep 27, 2017, 7:52:59 AM9/27/17
to iterm2-discuss