AACC students are assigned a college email but often do not check this
account until the semester begins. What we do:
1. All students receive a mailer (letter) that includes log-in
information (and information about the orientations). These mailers
are generated automatically through our student system.
2. All students receive an email to their MyAACC account (with the
3. First-time online students receive additional emails/mailers with
information about orientations. We've developed an online orientation
for prospective students and an orientation for first-time online
students. The orientation for prospective online students is on our
The orientation for first-time online students is accessible to
students through the college portal upon registration for an online
course; it is also available within the learning management system.
We also conduct "live orientations" in Elluminate Live.
4. We have developed a regular communications plan for first-time
online students. Our institution subscribes to a student management
application (Hobsons) and our online students receive "just-in-time"
emails. For example, early in the semester they receive information
about our services (tutoring, library, etc.). Prior to mid-term, they
receive emails with test-taking tips and additional information about
tutoring, the testing center, etc. Through Hobsons, we can track the
number of students that open the emails (and those who opt out of our
5. The college publishes an informational booklet and distributes this
booklet to all incoming freshmen. Information about accessing the
courses, etc., is included in this distribution.
6. We've also created postcards (with information about "Meet the
Virtual Campus" and the readiness indicator).
7. We run "promos" on our local cable station (college channel).
8. First-time online students receive an automated phone call one
week before the start of the semester (to remind them that they have
signed up for an online course and encouraging them to log-in on day
one of the semester). On day three of the semester, online students
who have not logged in get another call.
9. We also created a "Virtual Campus Lounge" in the college portal.
The lounge includes announcements, spotlights on elearning faculty/
students, quick polls, and so on).
Feel free to contact Patty McCarthy-O'Neill, Coordinator, Distance
) if you'd like more